06 Nov 2012
Beta Tester
Playstation Staff

Lets Get Retro!

[ Edited ]
181 Replies 1,811 Views edited 06-11-2012

retro!.png

Hello everybody,

We seem to have a severe lack of retro action and adventure gaming talk around these parts, shall we remedy that?

Some of you may have started your gaming life only a Generation ago, or indeed maybe with this generation (shock, horror!) but for some of us (the old tired inept ones) we started long, long ago in a galaxy far... no, wait... just long ago... I digress... where was I? Ah yes, well some folk started a while back, back in the days when games came on tapes, took an age to load up and made the most annoying sounds and we were lucky if we got to play it on the colour TV instead of the old Black & White one sitting in the back room.

And some of us go back further even that!

So, whether you are quite young and started your gaming life recently, or quite old and started way back with a game of Global Thermo Nuclear War down the phone line with an advanced computer called 'WOPR' this is thread for you.

If you don't get some of these references chances are you are lucky, young and healthy and you started gaming on the PS3. In which case I shall plot horrible things against you!

Anyway... I'll get you all started with a couple of games but feel free to discuss any retro action and adventure game from any generation, company, console you fancy!

My first action and adventure game is widely considered to be the first action and adventure game and is quite aptly called 'Adventure.'

How's that's for a happy coincidence eh!

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Adventure_(Atari_2600)

As you will see from that link the game dates from 1978 and was released on the Atarai 2600 - remember those?

"The object of the game is simply to find the chalice and return it to the gold castle. The character, represented by a square dot, explores a multi-screen landscape containing castles, mazes, and rooms. Hidden throughout the world are a sword, a key to unlock each of the three castles (yellow, black, and white), a magic bridge which allows the player to travel through a wall, and a magnet which will pull any of these objects towards it.

Also roaming the world are three dragons"

Damn those pesky dragons! I didn't get this game until some years after it was first released as I wasn't actually born yet in 1978, I recall playing it endlessly but I don't recall if I ever actually completed it - lets say I did and move on from the subject of gaming prowess shall we.

Here are a few pics to get you excited about the game!

So, who else remembers this one or had it themselves?

I'm not sure of my age when my Dad brought me an Atari 2600 - I was just glad he didn't buy that E.T Game that ended up buried in the desert; a couple of years later he would buy me a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 and I would move on into the world of recording friends tapes and not realising this was highly illegal and in breach of various laws *shock horror*

Franie Goes To Hollywood anyone - this so needs a remake! I dare anyone to watch the whole walkthrough video.

It wasn't long before I was also borrowing my friends Commodore Amiga which also had some excellent action and adventure games (not to mention SWOS! - Hands up if you know what that is!) and then somehow girls took over my life and I'd managed to skip the Segas and Nintendos of the world with only the odd play on the odd game at friends houses and then bang, the original PlayStation hit and I was sucked back in with games like Resident Evil and err...ermmm... Tunnel B1.

As you'll know from my previous article http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Action-Adventure-General/Die-Hard-Trilogy-A-Retrospective/m-p... I became quite the Die Hard Trilogy addict.

Anyhow... I will leave it there for now. What you have is a very, very brief history for myself up until the PlayStation hit and a great jump off point for your own thoughts and ramblings about retro action & adventure games. Now days we have access to older games very easily, via online stores, social media, phones and emulators and endless other ways so it'll interesting to hear the thoughts of those who have tried some retro games lately and those who just look back on them fondly.

W_H

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 182 (1,811 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Lets Get Retro!

I had a weird childhood with gaming when I grew up. Having an older brother, he was getting into gaming when I was basically born, so I've always been brought up around games, however, one of the first Adventure games that will always be close to my heart :

Super Metriod on the Snes. There was others at the time (I was about 6/7 years old) ranging over the Snes and MegaDrive, though this one I always remember intensley, others I can barely remember there names.

For those of you that didn't have the opurtunity to play this great game, it starts you off entering a space station, as there is a code red. You turn up to find that everyone has been killed, and the last Metroid (An incredibly dangerous organism) has been stolen by your arch nemisis, which is basically a Giant Dragon.

After escaping the space station, you find yourself landing on a planet that your main character has visited before ( In the original Metroid game) From there, you continue to collect power ups (Ranging from new guns/armour, to grappling hooks and nuke like bombs) Going from a selection of areas, like Alien Jungles, Ghost Ships, and the mechanical ending space. Many bosses try and stop you on your way, and each required unique fighting styles to defeat.

When you are in your last grasps of life, fighting the final boss who seems way over powered ( One shot takes you down to 1HP) an old enemy shows up to help you.... The metroid!

I'm probably not doing the game alot of justice right now, but yeah, if you ever get the chance, I would highly recommend giving this game a shot!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 182 (1,776 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

when i started games Croc legend of the gobbos was an awsome adventure game on ps1 were you played as an adolescent crocodile to defeat a group of nasties intent on kidnapping the gobbos for some devious plot probably involving cats as the gobbos bear a striking resemblance to cat toys heres a tv ad for it if your to young  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZe3-yWFvO8

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 182 (1,765 Views)
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Being born the in the 80's I am not sure if I had a deprived childhood with the lack of an Atari or a Commodore or not because my gaming started with the Masters System which in itself is a classic system but I don't see it being very retro for some reason :smileysad:

I did like gaming though and I had a few little handhelds, one I remember in particular was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle handheld, a green thing twice the size of a Playstatin Vita with some great "blipping" sound effects as slices of pizzas blipped across the screen in slow motion, disappearing and appearing until they hit their target which was usually he foot soldiers. This had them all though, Be-bop, Rocksteady and Splinter were characters you met on the way to rescuing April O'neil. I tried to find a photo of it a while back but I couldn't find anything :smileysad:

Next up for me was the Master System, the great console that forced you to blow the cartridge sometimes for a game to work and even froze every now and then. The system came built in with Sonic the Hedghog but the game I remember the most was The Ninja.

Thinking back now The Ninja had probably some of the most annoying sound effects in any game, an annoying blipping when you threw a ninja blade if I remember right. I used to bop to the annoying ear bleeding intro music aswell as text longer then an unravelled toilet roll scrolled up the screen telling the gamer the story of The Ninja. 

The ingame soundtrack was pretty good aswell, some weird 1980s electronic disco synthesizer mash up which picked up the beat when you colected power ups. The blades used to glide through the air with a blip as a rock turned into a ninja, on contact the enemy ninja flashed and disappeared leaving a chalk outline, the kind you would see in a Naked Gun movie drawn around a table, lamp and wall (which leaves me wondering whether they ever really did that back in the day).

Just found a video of that game, worth a look, brings back many memories of it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifDhNz0NeYw

Then I went Playstation One, for some reason I can't remember much about the PS1, could it be because the Master System was just too good? lol I spent many many hours on games like Grand Theft Auto, Grand Theft Auto London, Grand Theft Auto 2, TOCA, TOCA 2 and a Net Yaroze made top down football game which I got addicted to  *looks for video*.

I remember when TOCA 2 came out I was drooling at the graphics, what changed from TOCA 1? The cars had see through windows, the yellow strip on the side of the car disappeared after the pit stop, the blocky cars weren't as blocky anymore, I could put my name on the side of the car window :smileyvery-happy: and there was now added commentary. I was a big BIG fan of the real TOCA series in them days, would be now if I was still in England, used to go and see the races and everything :smileyvery-happy:

Just watching a TOCA 2 video now and I remember being so excited with the intro video, what a great video, I seen it many many many times.

TOCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_yLZjdkdk

TOCA 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGzJXJ5vYgc

OH MY GOD. I found a video for Total Soccer, a Net Yarzoe game for the PS1 :smileysurprised: Wow, again, more memories come flooding back, I played this a lot, and I mean a lot lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AACiEmRoWAs

I even tried making my own Net Yaroze game but failed, not sure I remember where but there was instructions somewhere, either in a Playstation Magazine or on a OPM demo disc, all I can remember is that it was a triangle that could fly when inputting the right commands.

Kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBKDaGd68vw

And to finish off, I used to get a Magazine called Playstation Max:

I wrote a letter to them and I got it published and I never got a prize :smileysad: It said that you won a turd, literally it said that, but I assumed it wasn't really a turd but a nice little prize, even if it was a fake turd it would have been funny for pranks. I am still upset I never received anything and it kind of blitzed the moment of getting my first letter in a magazine published :smileysad: If anyone had any of these magazines still and could find my letter it would be awesome :smileyvery-happy: I can't remember what it was about or anything though so it may be embarrassing lol

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 182 (1,697 Views)
Level 10

Playstation Staff

The Spectrum was my first computer, with all the delicate tape-lead awesomeness that involved.

I remember seeing kids playing Virus on the BBCs at school and being impressed, because it was rock hard to play. But then games were back then...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 182 (1,655 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Hahaha a place for the old folk to gather & talk about the good old days :smileyvery-happy:

Ok well i remember my first taste of gaming was this thing with a tape recorder...... I used to play space invaders or frogger on it. You would put the tape in to "load" and it would make sounds like a fax machine until it was finished - then half way through you had to take the tape out & turn it over!

Frogger_game_arcade.png

I also remember at school we had the old BBC computers & I think in english class they had us play a text based game, around Pirates & finding treasure..... it had some pictures & weird sounds but mostly you would type turn left & then it would describe your suroundings & what you could pick up or what actions you could do - it looked a bit like this:

classic-zork-trilogy.jpg

I also remember playing T2 (terminator 2) on my PC.... it was quite exciting at the time & being chased by the T-1000 in a truck whist I try to manover a motorbike was quite tricky - the reason it sticks in my head is becuase it was on a B disk...... remember those? Like a floppy disk but bigger!

383938701_9b9b6b4b21.jpg

Here is what the game play looked like - not so bad right?

terminator-2-pc-game-dos-dosbox-1.JPG

There is only 1 game I still have in my collection that I would call retro.....

Beneath_a_Steel_Sky_Coverart.png

Not sure if any of you have played it.....  I would recomend it if you want a retro game - Its set in "the future"  & you play Robert Foster... with his sidekick robot Joey :smileyvery-happy:

Basically you go around the city, solving puzzles (theres one where you have to get a hole drilled into your head!) & trying not to die.

Here is some footage => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm7V-VrlJuo

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 182 (1,649 Views)
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Oh, I forgot to add one thing... retro domination :smileyhappy:

[/thread]

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 182 (1,641 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

There are some good memories in your posts!

Somehow it slipped my mind that I had once had a Gameboy, as I recall I traded it with a  friend a few years after getting it, perhaps for some Space Marines 40K stuff? I can't quite recall.

I had some good adventure games for it that I would play over and over and over and of course other games like Tetris and Super Mario Bros.

I also remembered that I had Batman and Ghostbusters for the Spectrum, those were really fun back when I was a kid.

I also as some above mentioned remember the old BBC computers that we had back in school - fond memories! Another area I remember is that of Arcade games, you use to be able to find the odd action game in among the shooters and fighting games, the old Star Wars flight games were always quite good fun - anyone remember those?

I love the fact that if you visit old British sea side resorts they'll still have the old cabinets, one in Hunstanton still has the Simpsons game I played on as a kid - the panelling around were the arms would rest is worn down so smoothly and deeply - that's about 25 years of play right there!

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 182 (1,607 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

InfiniteStates wrote:

Oh, I forgot to add one thing... retro domination :smileyhappy:

[/thread]

Not bad, but not quite right. I'll raise you...

I started with one of these in the late 70's...

Been gaming ever since, either at home or the arcade. Too many memories and great games to list here.

Currently playing: Diablo 3 (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Fez (XBLA), MAME (PC), Oolite (PC), Parasite Eve (PS1)
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 182 (1,604 Views)
Level 10

Playstation Staff

omg I remember something like that, but I am an 80s kid so surely I couldn't know what that is, hmmmmmmm Maybe it was a dream :smileyfrustrated:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 182 (1,601 Views)
0 Kudos