01 Jul 2012
Playstation Staff

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy

[ Edited ]
18 Replies 1,023 Views edited 01-07-2012

Anyone else get this yet? What's your opinions of it?

I've been loving it, since I've always been a Ratchet fan and these are the core games, running on my PS3. But the pros stop there -- this is without a doubt, the worst PS2 to PS3 port I've seen from Sony yet, and it screams of laziness. I'm near the end of Ratchet 2 and these are some things I've noticed:

- Every cutscene in the game is in SD (plus electrolyzer segments). Every single one. Frames cut at the side, a large majority of this "HD Classic" isn't HD at all.

- Graphic bugs.

There's so much pop in pop out graphics. In a lot of in-world scenes Clank's eyes kind of merge into the back of his head so they're half gray. Hit a rubbish bin in Ratchet 2 and it just vanishes from the game instantly. Ratchet's helmet in R&C2 in-level scenes is oversized, as mentioned by people on YouTube, it looks strange and awkward. Some enemies vanish and then re-appear in a second or so. Some caves glitch out and go transparent in the distance. The HUD in R&C2 on the HDTV is huge, pixellated, and ugly, I don't think it's been scaled properly. In SD, the top slightly pops out of the screen and it looks squashed together and horrible, not how it would look on the PS2.

- Audio bugs.

In world, if a NPC is meant to be talking, eg. the tours at the weapon facility in R&C2, it doesn't. It's odd that the audio here was completely missing. High pitched sounds come out distorted and horrible sounding, such as in electrolyzer segments or I noticed it with some TNT crates too.

- Gameplay bugs.

Several times, quick select has refused to work, it required a reset of the game. Also whenever I pause the game (this started happening halfway through R&C2), it'd just show a screen of the last vendor or spawn point, even if it was in a totally different level it'd just pull this image up out of nowhere.

There's probably more bugs I've forgotten, and there's undoubtedly going to be more hard to miss issues with the game with more game time. It just makes me wonder, is this why America is getting the game two months later? Are they going to do some proper QA on their version? I'm probably being a bit nitpicky but other Classic HD titles got HD treatement and trophies without the game turning into an inconsistent bug fest. Patch? This must be why the game was delayed in the first place.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19 (1,023 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: Ratchet & Clank Trilogy

Nah worst HD Classics port is the Prince of Persia Trilogy. The same game breaking bugs the original PS2/gamecube versions had. Had to practically restart Warrior Within hit by the Wraith character glitch. Not bothered finished the Two Thrones hit more bugs that were there last gen.

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19 (1,004 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I've been playing the first R&C for a good 7 hours now and the only bug I've encountered is in 3D when accessing the weapon shop, a strange artifact flickers when selecting a weapon or ammo.

Apart from that the game is beautiful to look at and a joy to play, can't believe it's been 10 years.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19 (992 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yeah. It really has been a joy to play. It's just the bugs which are trying to ruin it. R&C1 for the most part is totally fine but they clearly had trouble on the second. Hope the third is well done.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19 (986 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I've been playing this collection all weekend and I'm loving it (: It's fantastic, Ratchet and Clank has always been one of my all time favourites, so it's really fun to re-live the journey with better visuals. I'm so glad I bought it! The only issue I have with it would be about 3 times in the first R&C game I experienced some really bad slowdown, usually when there was too much action on-screen. But other than that, it's a top notch collection.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19 (982 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I bought it yesterday but annoyingly i have to wait until the 27th to actually play it :smileysad: i bought R&C A Crack In Time aswell

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19 (978 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have been playing some of 1 and some of 2, have not realy found too many glitches, Al in the first one looked preety bad as some of the textures on his shirt overlapped and the cockpit texture on your ship have not been upscalled well. The thing that anoys me is that its been adverised as 1080p but by default boots into 720p and if i force 1080p it only looks upscalled, i was lead to belive it was full 1080p. Perhaps some one at sony can address our concerns perhaps this is why it was delayed by a month they must have having problems.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19 (887 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I got some new bugs. The first one was kind of funny (http://imgur.com/06sKv ) the second one... was rather annoying (http://imgur.com/UBLfx - camera alternated between this and being stuck in my feet looking up). Had to quit out and restart to fix it. Also had a electrolyser segment cut in half but oh well.

And yeah ^ I thought, 1080p 60fps, this is gonna look amazing! So I felt burned when so much of the game isn't HD at all, a lot of scenes even cut at the sides. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19 (873 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have had an annoying glitch in seige multiplayer, everytime i play there is no sound for weapons 95% of the time, has anyone else had this?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19 (870 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I cant wait to play these games, ive got all the PS3 ones except for All 4 One so it'll be interesting to see how the series started

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19 (766 Views)
0 Kudos