Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Lets Get Retro!

[ Edited ]
181 Replies 2,439 Views edited 06-11-2012

retro!.png

Hello everybody,

We seem to have a severe lack of retro action and adventure gaming talk around these parts, shall we remedy that?

Some of you may have started your gaming life only a Generation ago, or indeed maybe with this generation (shock, horror!) but for some of us (the old tired inept ones) we started long, long ago in a galaxy far... no, wait... just long ago... I digress... where was I? Ah yes, well some folk started a while back, back in the days when games came on tapes, took an age to load up and made the most annoying sounds and we were lucky if we got to play it on the colour TV instead of the old Black & White one sitting in the back room.

And some of us go back further even that!

So, whether you are quite young and started your gaming life recently, or quite old and started way back with a game of Global Thermo Nuclear War down the phone line with an advanced computer called 'WOPR' this is thread for you.

If you don't get some of these references chances are you are lucky, young and healthy and you started gaming on the PS3. In which case I shall plot horrible things against you!

Anyway... I'll get you all started with a couple of games but feel free to discuss any retro action and adventure game from any generation, company, console you fancy!

My first action and adventure game is widely considered to be the first action and adventure game and is quite aptly called 'Adventure.'

How's that's for a happy coincidence eh!

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Adventure_(Atari_2600)

As you will see from that link the game dates from 1978 and was released on the Atarai 2600 - remember those?

"The object of the game is simply to find the chalice and return it to the gold castle. The character, represented by a square dot, explores a multi-screen landscape containing castles, mazes, and rooms. Hidden throughout the world are a sword, a key to unlock each of the three castles (yellow, black, and white), a magic bridge which allows the player to travel through a wall, and a magnet which will pull any of these objects towards it.

Also roaming the world are three dragons"

Damn those pesky dragons! I didn't get this game until some years after it was first released as I wasn't actually born yet in 1978, I recall playing it endlessly but I don't recall if I ever actually completed it - lets say I did and move on from the subject of gaming prowess shall we.

Here are a few pics to get you excited about the game!

So, who else remembers this one or had it themselves?

I'm not sure of my age when my Dad brought me an Atari 2600 - I was just glad he didn't buy that E.T Game that ended up buried in the desert; a couple of years later he would buy me a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 and I would move on into the world of recording friends tapes and not realising this was highly illegal and in breach of various laws *shock horror*

Franie Goes To Hollywood anyone - this so needs a remake! I dare anyone to watch the whole walkthrough video.

It wasn't long before I was also borrowing my friends Commodore Amiga which also had some excellent action and adventure games (not to mention SWOS! - Hands up if you know what that is!) and then somehow girls took over my life and I'd managed to skip the Segas and Nintendos of the world with only the odd play on the odd game at friends houses and then bang, the original PlayStation hit and I was sucked back in with games like Resident Evil and err...ermmm... Tunnel B1.

As you'll know from my previous article http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Action-Adventure-General/Die-Hard-Trilogy-A-Retrospective/m-p... I became quite the Die Hard Trilogy addict.

Anyhow... I will leave it there for now. What you have is a very, very brief history for myself up until the PlayStation hit and a great jump off point for your own thoughts and ramblings about retro action & adventure games. Now days we have access to older games very easily, via online stores, social media, phones and emulators and endless other ways so it'll interesting to hear the thoughts of those who have tried some retro games lately and those who just look back on them fondly.

W_H

LABELS:
Flying High!
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

flasheart456

85%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
flasheart456
Accepted Solution
It was one of the first games I ever played it still feels quite fresh and I think it still looks good certainly worth a look if you are bored
0 Kudos

Re: Lets Get Retro!

disturb the mediocrity!
/16

flasheart456

85%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
flasheart456
Accepted Solution
Knight lore is one of those games everyone knows even if they haven't played it. I think there is a genius about the game that is understated and I think the look if it is very good I'd like to see a modern game to attempt something like it

disturb the mediocrity!
/16

flasheart456

85%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
flasheart456
Accepted Solution
Pandemonium was a top rate game it's one of those forgotten classics that no one remembers until someone mentions it alien3 and international soccer that were good also I played them a lot good times:) anyone remember the ps1 game medieval? Played
that a lot also

disturb the mediocrity!
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

I'd forgotten all about it, but I sank many hours into Metal Marines...that was my first taste of strategy games I think. My favourite genre, although it's depressingly starved on consoles cos you know - apparently only the cerebrally starved want to play games in comfort on a TV instead of hunched over a desk in an office... :)

/16

xx_Tooms109_xx

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xx_Tooms109_xx
Accepted Solution

On the subject of knight lore & Ultimate (Now RARE).

The games of theirs i got most enjoyement from was Gun Fright,Jetpac &Psst..

But i prefer OCEAN's Head Over Heels & BATMAN  (Jon Ritman)...And The Great Escape (Denton Designs).Games which also used the  ismoretic viewpoint made popular by Ultimate.I think Ant Attack was the 1st to use  this view ...I'm probably wrong here though.Usually am.

There is a Jon Ritman Video interview on youtube,which is over an hour long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXAbnG0elqA

Ive only just found it,so cant comment on its content.Hopefully speccy fans will enjoy it.

I'm off to watch it now.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

TescoValueGamer

• Award Winner
98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TescoValueGamer
Accepted Solution

I can't think of anything before Ant Attack, at least home computer wise.

And yeah, Head Over Heels is bloody ace. There's a pretty good remake at Retrospec.

0 Kudos

Currently playing: Diablo 3 (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Fez (XBLA), MAME (PC), Oolite (PC), Parasite Eve (PS1)
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Anybody remember Body Harvest on the N64?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNsaoZNwzaU

I used to love this. I guess you could say I platinumed it before trophies were even invented. It was by DMA who later did GTA and then became Rockstar North, so you could technically argue it was the precursor to GTA.

I was destined to be addicted to GTA before it was even written :(

Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

Kotaku posted up some images from a Toys R Us catalogue circa 1996

http://kotaku.com/5969266/toys-r-us-christmas-1996-catalogue-is-a-historic-wonderland/gallery/1

:catlol:

0 Kudos

Flying High!
/16

flasheart456

85%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
flasheart456
Accepted Solution

thinking about ultimate/rare anyone play perfect dark? in my opinion it was better than golden eye ( i prepare myself for a argument) the multiplayer was awsome the maps/wepons/modes were all brilliant me and my mates used to play it all night the only thing was you had to get an expansion pack to play all the modes on it

disturb the mediocrity!
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Yeah I played Perfect Dark, and enjoyed it, but didn't love it as much as Goldeneye. Maybe because we played a lot of Goldeneye MP, but no one was interested in Perfect Dark... Maybe because it doesn't have a recognisable theme (don't underestimate the power of familiar sounds and music, especially Bond or Star Wars)...

Anyone remember Carrier Command? I used to f******g love that game - it was genius. I just found out they're remaking it and the demo has just come out (www.carriercommand.com), but its only for PC and XBox :(

Award Winner
/16

TescoValueGamer

• Award Winner
98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TescoValueGamer
Accepted Solution

I'm liking the look of that remake, apart from the rather predictable FPS element. The original Carrier Command was superb.

It's nice to see some RTS games again, especially with the likes of this also on the way. Used to love Total Annihilation back in the day.

Flash Rush FTW :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Currently playing: Diablo 3 (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Fez (XBLA), MAME (PC), Oolite (PC), Parasite Eve (PS1)
/16

xx_Tooms109_xx

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xx_Tooms109_xx
Accepted Solution

A little something for those of a certain age (and a few silver hairs!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3WNyDuAxQ

Classic.

Also.Heres a link to loads of old computer magazines on the internet archive.(complete sets)

http://archive.org/details/computermagazines

Enjoy & Merry Christmas!.

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

TescoValueGamer

• Award Winner
98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TescoValueGamer
Accepted Solution

xx_Tooms109_xx wrote:

A little something for those of a certain age (and a few silver hairs!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3WNyDuAxQ

Classic.

Always loved Delta's pic and mix loading music too. Lotsa fun.

Merry Christmas everyone :)

0 Kudos

/16

flasheart456

85%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
flasheart456
Accepted Solution
Delta & carrier command awesome :) I just thought that pd had more of everything and better weapons but to each there own I suppose I will never win this argument. facility and archives are the best mp maps ever and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
0 Kudos

disturb the mediocrity!
/16

flasheart456

85%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
flasheart456
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

disturb the mediocrity!
/16

Renegade-Snares

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Renegade-Snares
Accepted Solution

The first console to enter our house was one of these beauties.....

The Philips Videopac G7000! We had some asteroids type of game and another one I used to play loads of called Pickaxe Pete which was a simple platformer

Next up was the ever trusty rubber keyed 48k Spectrum. I remember one of the games that came with it being Horace Goes Skiing. I was the only one to have one of these - everybody else had Commodore 64's, so I got to see gaming from both sides! I do remember being particularly jealous of some C64 versions of games such as Ghostbusters and Last Ninja 2. They were better than the speccy versions but hey, us 'spec-chums' (to quote Your Sinclair magazine!) got the much better version of Target Renegade!

Arcade gaming was of course much bigger in the 80's than now. I always remember searching for them when we went on holiday in the summer. It was like another world back then simply due to the hardware being so much more advanced than what you could get at home at the time. Notable mentions going to Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, Outrun, Chase H.Q and many other coin munchers.

Speaking of Double Dragon - who remembers the frankly insulting Speccy & C64 conversions? Me and my mate bought it. Don't know who's version was worse! What a let down!

After the 8-bit era, most people I knew went the Amiga route. Me, I held onto my Spectrum until Xmas 92, when I received a Snes along with Street Fighter 2. What a game - I still rank it as one of my faves now. I played that solidly for months. I was able to get through the single player mode on level 7 without losing a single round, which resulted in a ever so slighty different ending!

In 94, I lost my gaming mojo. Just totally lost interest in it, until I saw some PS1 games runnning - in particular Resident Evil, Tomb Raider & Wipeout. That was it, I bought myself one and I was back as a gamer :Thumbs:

Since then I've owned Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, PSP,  Xbox 360 & currently a PS3. I do still fire up some of the oldies now & then. In particular Bubble Bobble. Something about that game that just never gets old!

Ryu Hayabusa - Banner_Ninja.Gaiden.2_01.2 Pictures, Images and Photos

Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

You just brought back some fond memories of Bubble Bobble, wish I still had my copies :(

Flying High!
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Minor Bubble Bobble related self-plug :)

http://owmyindies.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/frutorious/

Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

I was thinking about my writing last night, I think I'm going to put my novel on the back burner and instead take what I've already done on games, planned to write and have begun to write and test the waters of digital self publishing with that. Suffice to say some retro action and adventure would feature.

Give me a week and I'll have probably not even started and by the end of the year not even written a page.

Flying High!
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post