16 Jul 2013
Community Manager
Playstation Staff

Server closure notice: MAG/SOCOM

13 Replies 1,531 Views Created 16-07-2013

banner 4.png

On 28th January 2014, Sony Computer Entertainment will terminate the online service for each of the following PlayStation®3 software titles:

• MAG
  • SOCOM: Confrontation
  • SOCOM: Special Forces

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (1,531 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Server closure notice: MAG/SOCOM

Sony finally killed socom!! Very sad day indeed :'(
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (1,465 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

sad times, tis a shame theyre ending. though theyve all had a mighty good run and lots of fun had on each of them :smileyvery-happy:
KillzoneAM!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (1,336 Views)
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Envisager wrote:

banner 4.png

On 28th January 2014, Sony Computer Entertainment will terminate the online service for each of the following PlayStation®3 software titles:

• MAG

How can you kill off the SOCOM series like this. Shocking, i still play confrontation to this day and have many friends that also do. It's not even like we can use XLINK Kai for this title as it doesn't support LAN

DeludedGaming the best gaming site around
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (1,146 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

born2destroy wrote:

Envisager wrote:

banner 4.png

• MAG

How can you kill off the SOCOM series like this. Shocking, i still play confrontation to this day and have many friends that also do. It's not even like we can use XLINK Kai for this title as it doesn't support LAN

Sadly the servers probably just don't have enough of a userbase for it to be worth keeping them running. I was gutted when EA shut down the Burnout Revenge servers. Still, life goes on and there'll be more games out there.

I feel for people who've spent a lot of time on any of them, just to have it go in the bin though. It'd be good if on PS4 games went Peer2Peer when the servers are closed.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (1,137 Views)
Level 8

Playstation Staff

So no Mag 2?
:smileysad:

Active once again.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (1,131 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

strangeplaice wrote:

born2destroy wrote:

Envisager wrote:

banner 4.png

• MAG

Sadly the servers probably just don't have enough of a userbase for it to be worth keeping them running. I was gutted when EA shut down the Burnout Revenge servers. Still, life goes on and there'll be more games out there.

I feel for people who've spent a lot of time on any of them, just to have it go in the bin though. It'd be good if on PS4 games went Peer2Peer when the servers are closed.

I agree, but SOCOM confrontation still has a good 2000+ players to this date last time i logged on. It's not just a game it's a series where i have met so many great friends and people from the PS2 SOCOM's right through to Confrontation. It will be a complete shame i will not be able to hop online and catch a good of SOCRACK

DeludedGaming the best gaming site around
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (1,087 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I have good memories of MAG, it's sad to see it go.

I'm surprised Confrontation is going I would have thought that the servers were active enough to keep it going. Hopefully Sony put these servers to good use in the future.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (1,085 Views)
Level 8

Playstation Staff

They're not being shut down until next year.

I think a lot of people will have moved on to the PS4 by then. :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (1,065 Views)
Level 2

Playstation Staff

sad to see any game servers being shut down:smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (991 Views)
0 Kudos