88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Possible Assassin's Creed 3 Settings & Locations

25 Replies 6,005 Views Created 07-12-2010

Warning: (Contains spoilers for those who haven't completed the game.)

Okay, down to business. It came to my attention near the ending of Brotherhood, that a hint was left by possibly the most annoying character ever made. Shaun Hastings.

At the moment before Desmond's hand touches the Apple and everything freezes, Shaun is in the middle of saying something pretty interesting. To quote "I know that symbol. That's a Phrygian Cap. It stands for freedom...and that, that's a Masonic Eye. Now those two come together in only one place--"

Now, with thanks to the internet, this would be Assassin has done a check up on the Phrygian Cap & The Masonic Eye. And to conclude, both were widely associated in America during the early 17th & late 18th century as a sign of freedom & liberty, that just so happens to be around the same time of the American Revolution. Could that be the next setting? Freemasons playing a big role? People as such as Ben Franklin would take Da Vinci's role for new inventions for the player.

The other possible hint from what Shaun left us could very well be the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, a declaration which was used during the French Revolution that also has the Phrygian Cap & Masonic Eye embedded on it. At the top in the middle, is the Masonic Eye with the Phrygian Cap sitting atop of the spear.

Image of the Declaration Here

Which brings me to the end of this conclusion. That Assassin's Creed 3's setting is going to be either set during the French or American Revolutions.

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Kiez

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kiez
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

Re: Possible Assassin's Creed 3 Settings & Locations

/16

Tommy012345

99%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tommy012345
Accepted Solution

Freemasons the 18th Century Templars?

Thats an interesting idea :D

0 Kudos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
/16

jerers

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jerers
Accepted Solution

Sorry, I don't think that America has enough history to make a good setting. Rome was good with the links back to Romulus and Remus through the wolf men and Brutus. Anywhere in America does not have enough mainstream legends, particularly from the perspective of most of the world outside of America. I was in America recently and on a tour ship I was shown an 'ancient' lighthouse, it was only 100 or 200 years old which is modern to anyone from Europe; to put it into context my old secondary school was older than that.

The American revolution would be a rubbish setting, the English vs erm... the English (considering that they were not actually independantly American until after the American revolution), that would be like Assassins against Assassins... pointless. Any other area of time in Americans brief history would make a game either too like the Godfather or Red Dead Redemption; I can already feel the joy of a wall street crash assassination mission, in which the target kills himself because he's lost absolutely everything already because he invested in over-valued shares (this is sarcasm by the way, pointing out the fact that any comedy in a game set in America would have to be blunt and Americanised).

The Masonic Eye and Phryian Cap do not necessarily connote the image of the American revolution, the Masonic eye coming from Ancient Egypt and Phyria being in modern day Turkey. Both symbols are strong symbols in European history, maybe Europe genrally is the only place the two are found together. Or maybe the setting could be the ancient Roman empire which ruled over both Phyria and the Roman province of Egypt, maybe the armour of Brutus was a blunt clue; it would be a shame to have an assassin game without killing Julius Caesar. Revolutionary France would be the best setting, much more socially interesting considering people often forget that France has a 'brave' social history full of some very brave revolutionaries, a bottom up revolution as opposed to the top down American revolution; surely a much better setting for Assassins Creed.  

0 Kudos

/16

McWopper

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
McWopper
Accepted Solution

If the plot is suggesting a potential world destroying event in 2012 then I guess that has to be dealt with by real time 2012?

But I can see AC going on longer than the next couple of years.  They might find a new person to go into the animus and then we can relive the events of a completely different line of assassin ancestors.  That could allow for new perils and settings.

I still want to play through China at the birth of gunpowder era and London at the time of the Great Fire.  American Revolution could also be a good era.

0 Kudos

/16

Maximus26061989

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Maximus26061989
Accepted Solution

Isn't there a twitch in the explanation? It's really good and convincing but you're saying that Ben Franklin (who was a Freemason) is going to be Da Vinci replacement. But if Freemasons are the 18th century templars isn't Ben Franklin going to be an enemy of the Assassin's then?

0 Kudos

/16

Kiez

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kiez
Accepted Solution

Maximus26061989 wrote:

Isn't there a twitch in the explanation? It's really good and convincing but you're saying that Ben Franklin (who was a Freemason) is going to be Da Vinci replacement. But if Freemasons are the 18th century templars isn't Ben Franklin going to be an enemy of the Assassin's then?

He didn't say that, he got the information from the link I posted above.

0 Kudos

/16

micksith

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
micksith
Accepted Solution

I'm pretty sure i read somewhere the developers didn't want to use the founding fathers  route - so i don't  think  the 'ANCESTOR' part of  AC 3 will be in America (modern day elements perhaps).

I actually think the clues to where next  AC games will take place have been given to us in  AC 1,  AC 2 & Brotherhood.

In AC 1 subject 16 left loads of Japanese glyphs & writings  & the Templars in the past were French.

In AC 2 we saw flashbacks of Altair  & his lover (forgot her name)  She was a Templar  (French).

In AC Brotherhood   we get the connection with the pyramid & eye - linked to French declaration.

& we're told to find  the offspring of eve - Another descendant from Altair & his lover perhaps ?

(seeing the pattern yet ?)

So i think the next 'Ancestrol'  outing will be the England & France  during the Revolution,  A time when the commoners overthrew the Nobility (possibly Templars too)

France at that time had everything needed for an AC game , Easily scalable buildings, Secret factions, Huge political changes - War,   Even a slight connection to many of Davinci's works.

Although just guesswork on my part  it's not much of a stretch to imagine we might actually play as a Scarlet Pimpernel  type , helping some Nobles escape to England.

London at the time would be equally useable as an Ancestrol playground , Scalable buildings & narrow streets.

And my favourite idea Isaac Newton could be our advisor like Davinci.(not sure about these dates)

Newton was an inventor, Astronomer, Scientist -  And made a remarkable understanding of Gravity thanks to an Apple. (how can they not use him ?)

That's where i think the next AC game will be based.

However, i said Next AC game 2011,  As i actually think the conclusion in final part of the story AC 3   will in some way see us in Japan in either past or present day - unpopular idea to many but .....  

1. Japanese glyphs were in abundance in AC 1 & 2,  

2. Adam & Eve in AC 2 Truth video looked oriental to me with possibly Mt Fuji in the background.

3. It's known as Land of the rising sun  , Sun is even on national flag (the impending prophecy looming).

4. Japan is well known throughout history for it's Assassin's & mastery of killing techniques.

5. Just about every modern day combat system involves Martial arts of some kind, but we've not as yet seen an ancestor learn or master any of these.

The westernisation of Japan could be the perfect timeframe for an Ancestrol outing in Japan,  with the Templars - rather than infiltrating with a secret cult - choosing to instead introduce western weapons & trade changing the political infrastructure,  Just as modern day  Abstergo industries do.

:Samurai:Samurai were warriors of nobility  , Ninja were common Assassins.

I don't wanna be a full Ninja , but at least an Ancestor could visit another guild to learn a few lethal Martial arts techniques, grappling ropes & a Katana (best swordmakers in the world).

All attributes Desmond may need in the modern day Assassin's  war with Abstergo.

Japan isn't everyones choice but it could easily fit with the Game story & tie in with historical events.

That's all my theories & ideas for the next  Assassin's Creed outings 2011   & 2012. (:smileysurprised:)

Montage Mik - PS3-Theme.com
"The man in the Hood plunges Blade into spine ......Look over your shoulder ,Cause you're Next in line ! "
/16

McWopper

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
McWopper
Accepted Solution

Nice theories.

I wonder though, with the next game only a year away will they have time to make a new setting or will they be using a lot of the existing locations and art work?

It needs a new setting now.

0 Kudos

/16

yeah_its_anda

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
yeah_its_anda
Accepted Solution

Japan has connections to Europe in history...

The Portuguese first make contact with Japan in 1542 (before the country closed its borders)

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MrGarry2u

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MrGarry2u
Accepted Solution
I'm seeing nice theories here, but I want to put one of mine in too.

We've seen Apple(s) and The Papal Staff so far. There are other pieces of eden mentioned all over the Assassin's Creed Story. The Sword was mentioned in AC2 showing a picture of Jeanne D'Arc/ Joan of Arc. Who was french I think.

Also the shroud of Turin is a P.O.E. according to Project legacy. It's purpose is unknown, assumed to be a healer of some kind because it was said to restore life to Jesus of Nazareth (Happy Easter) but it is stored in a box that tempts people to open it (pandora's box?) and it seems to alter one persons DNA so badly it kills him and leaves him disfigured.

My theory is that Desmond,or who ever we play as later are going to have to round all these artifacts up... then hide in the temples Minerva told them about. Once everyone outside the temples dies from whatever catastrophe awaits, they start the human race again, leaving all the POEs hidden.

/16

IrelandSniper

96%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
IrelandSniper
Accepted Solution
This is one awesome story
0 Kudos

/16

validis

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
validis
Accepted Solution

The World Map seems to get bigger and big each time...(Shame you couldnt really leave Roma properly this time though)....I have a feeling the next game, we may see multiple location settings. Perhaps the animus will switch between 2 different characters in 2 different countries? Alright, its a longshot. But lets not close the door totally to that idea, eh?

0 Kudos

/16

validis

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
validis
Accepted Solution

Actuallyyyy, after careful consideration, and alot of research, I have decided that its probably just going to be set in one place. It DEFINATLY has something to do with the Freemasons. and the two biggest possible countries that pop up are America and France. Although England is chucked in the list as a possibility.

my prediction is that its 30% likely to be set in America, and 70% likely to be set in BOTH England and France....Or Britain and France to be more precise (or less precise, rather...).

This is based on France and England in the 1700's is more 'appropriate' setting for Assassins Creed, and also that the Freemasons have an earlier history of being in England. And im sure if we're gonna be dealing with the Freemasons, then we'll be sure to be involved in their earlier and less documented times in history, where GAMEPLAY can be a bit more broader (after all, its just a game), rather than being chucked in an already established, recognised and ready-to-go Freemasons time period.

Below are some extracts from wiki:

"There is evidence to suggest that there were Masonic lodges in existence in Scotland as early as the late 16th century"

"There are clear references to the existence of lodges in England by the mid-17th century.[8]"

"The first Grand Lodge, the Grand Lodge of England (GLE), was founded on 24 June 1717, when four existing London Lodges met for a joint dinner. This rapidly expanded into a regulatory body, which most English Lodges joined. However, a few lodges resented some of the modernisations that GLE endorsed, such as the creation of the Third Degree, and formed a rival Grand Lodge on 17 July 1751, which they called the "Antient Grand Lodge of England". The two competing Grand Lodges vied for supremacy – the "Moderns" (GLE) and the "Antients" (or "Ancients")"  - Now THAT could make an interesting storyline for Assassins Creed.

"The Grand Lodge of Ireland and The Grand Lodge of Scotland were formed in 1725 and 1736 respectively. Freemasonry was exported to the British Colonies in North America by the 1730s – with both the "Antients" and the "Moderns" (as well as the Grand Lodges of Ireland and Scotland) chartering offspring, or "daughter", Lodges"

This gives us some good 100 years or so before Freemasons arrived in America....

RIGHT thats it, screw the 70, 30 predictions. I dont think this game will take place in America (well, at least inside the Animus). Pre-America Freemasons just sounds like alot more adventure and twist.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MrGarry2u

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MrGarry2u
Accepted Solution

French Revolution, perhaps. A time when the rulers were turned on by the people and beheaded via Guillotine. If I remember correctly from school lessons , it was because the church ruled everything and only the church got money... meaning everyone starved or died of illnesses that could have easily been treated if they were allowed doctors, unless they revolted or faught back. Same as what happens in Brotherhood in Roma, the monarchy taking from the people to fund its own aims [Templar goals]

Would be nice to play in the French Revolution because my french is better than my Italian (I am fluent in niether lol)

EDIT:

Also, if you look at the Declaration of Human rights (the one that was made at the time, with angels and decoration), look what's right at the top of the picture!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

micksith

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
micksith
Accepted Solution

I see you read my post on page 1 McGarry :Thumbs:

One of your posts got me thinking..... Although i know little of the PSP storylines  - Abstergo already has many P.O.E. from what i understand, 

So how about at some point Desmond gets hold of  a few & they become his final weapon set for the modern day final AC 3  showdown ?  

The Turin Shroud could be used to make a modern Assassin outfit ?

With the ressurection or healing power of the Shroud  it would be like a super charged 'Armour of Altair'  drastically reducing any damage.

The sword  - self explanatory  (though i'm hoping it's katana style)

The Apple - kind of like a modern smoke bomb , Used to manipulate minds making people 'believe' we've vanished.

Just an idea but thought i'd put it out there.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"The man in the Hood plunges Blade into spine ......Look over your shoulder ,Cause you're Next in line ! "
Beta Tester
/16

MrGarry2u

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MrGarry2u
Accepted Solution

I wouldn't advise they used the Turin Shroud to make an Assassin's Outfit, from what Project Legacy's memories have about it... it would be a BAD idea. One man is killed by it, one man was resurrected from the dead for a second or two but it didn't work (Brutus - one of the men who stabbed Julius Ceasre) and now in the memories I am playing. An assassin put the shroud around his baby (who was destined to die because he was born deformed) and it's "DONE SOMETHING" to him... the kid ain't right!

They don't know for sure what the shroud is FOR, but they all assume it heals/reanimated the dead, because it worked on Jesus of Nazareth. And do you remember in AC1 where Al Mualim says "It helped a young carpenter turn water into wine" - referring to the apple. ;)

Personally, I think that the Turin Shroud either rewrites a person's DNA so that they can operate Apples and Staffs etc... POEs. OR... it is for capturing someone's memories and putting them into someone else. Because the child in Project Legacy seems to have the memories of a grown up that pop out sometimes. Like, he says to an assassin "I forgive you". And the Assassin says "What did you say!?" and the kid says, "I don't know". (The Assassin he was talking to actually killed the last man to use the shroud, so I think his memories are in the kid)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

micksith

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
micksith
Accepted Solution

@ McGarry2u

Think the Turin shroud would be fine on Desmond - I don't think the P.O.E.  would have the same harmful effects on a subject with the correct D.N.A.   - Doubt it harmed the original race.

As Desmond is the 'chosen one'  he'd be ok i reckon.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MrGarry2u

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MrGarry2u
Accepted Solution
It's MR Garry. Not Mc, not to be rude but you said it twice now. :)
0 Kudos

/16

sevket

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sevket
Accepted Solution

You guys have great theories for the next setting. I have been to Paris last year and on a river seine boat tour I could imagine French Revolution taking place. It was really unforgettable experience. So I will be very happy if it takes place in France.

Being Turkish, I think Istanbul (Constantinople) would be fantastic setting for another AC

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Liam511

• Beta Tester
99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post