Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IT WILL BREAK YOUR PS3

I'd suggest people do some online research on theories behind YLOD and fixes people have used.... and then ask themselves if Heavy Rain can cause that.... Just be aware that discussing it around these parts isn't approved :smileywink: and that I neither agree/disagree with the ideas nor endorse the views expressed.

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 47 (5,299 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Thousands? Where did you get your figure from? I'll type it more slowly for you...SOFTWARE CAN NOT BREAK HARDWARE...It can cause overheating and hardware to fail, but once rebooted, the hardware WILL work again. It is a physical impossibility for a game to break your PS3...Heavy Rain has sold 500,000 copies...if "thousands" had been "broken" there would be a recall and it would be all over the internet...since it hasn't broken everyone's PS3, then it clearly isn't the software...It's like the previous poster who claims it had broken three PS3's...Now, either he's really, really stupid, or his friend is more stupid still, because if they believed that the game was to blame, how incredibly stupid would you have to be to put it in another machine after it had already broken two? It's laughable, it really is!

If it is an overheating problem  ( and this game does push the ps3) then the fault lies with Sony for not putting in safeguards to protect your hardware, (i.e. not having a thermostat which will shut down your machine when it gets to a dangerous temperature) NOT QUANTIC DREAM OR THE GAME...

I'm sorry your ps3 is knackered, but to blame it on a game is ridiculous. yes some people have had problems with black screen, glitches and freezing problems, but it's not breaking their machines! The title of this thread is both slanderous and unqualified. Lots of people have blamed games for breaking their PS3's...but they didn't....read this thread...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Games-that-break-PS3-s/td-p/45005440;jsessi...

SoDomi non sapiens Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 47 (5,292 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Domiiinatrix wrote:

Thousands? Where did you get your figure from? I'll type it more slowly for you...SOFTWARE CAN NOT BREAK HARDWARE...It can cause overheating and hardware to fail, but once rebooted, the hardware WILL work again. It is a physical impossibility for a game to break your PS3...Heavy Rain has sold 500,000 copies...if "thousands" had been "broken" there would be a recall and it would be all over the internet...since it hasn't broken everyone's PS3, then it clearly isn't the software...It's like the previous poster who claims it had broken three PS3's...Now, either he's really, really stupid, or his friend is more stupid still, because if they believed that the game was to blame, how incredibly stupid would you have to be to put it in another machine after it had already broken two? It's laughable, it really is!

If it is an overheating problem  ( and this game does push the ps3) then the fault lies with Sony for not putting in safeguards to protect your hardware, (i.e. not having a thermostat which will shut down your machine when it gets to a dangerous temperature) NOT QUANTIC DREAM OR THE GAME...

I'm sorry your ps3 is knackered, but to blame it on a game is ridiculous. yes some people have had problems with black screen, glitches and freezing problems, but it's not breaking their machines! The title of this thread is both slanderous and unqualified. Lots of people have blamed games for breaking their PS3's...but they didn't....read this thread...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Games-that-break-PS3-s/td-p/45005440;jsessi...

So are you siding witht he fact that Heavy Rain DID in fact break 3 PS3's, if there was no problem with Heavy Rain, why would he be stupid for trying it in 2 other PS3's?....because thats precisely the thing, he put the same game in 3 different consoles and it broke all of them.

Just to cross check i've been scanning through plenty of forums on the internet, you know the typical tech-heads that live and breath this sort of stuff and even they claimed that software can damage hardware.

But going back on something you previously said, if Heavy Rain is pushing the PS3 far enough to break it, then it is the game that is to blame, the all-powerful PS3 obviously cannot cope with this 1 single game and is breaking down, ok Heavy Rain isn't entriely to blame as it's the PS3's incapabilities in running the game thats causing an issue, but it's an issue caused by a piece of software that i am playing.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 47 (5,254 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

xX-FOXHOUND-Xx wrote:

Domiiinatrix wrote:

So are you siding witht he fact that Heavy Rain DID in fact break 3 PS3's, if there was no problem with Heavy Rain, why would he be stupid for trying it in 2 other PS3's?....because thats precisely the thing, he put the same game in 3 different consoles and it broke all of them.

No, I'm saying if he THOUGHT the game had already broken one PS3, then why on earth would he put it into another TWO? THE GAME CANNOT BREAK HARDWARE>>>What part of that do you not understand? I don't believe for one second that the game broke three PS3's and the third person would have to be a complete numpty...and you'd have to be a numpty to believe the game was the cause.

Just to cross check i've been scanning through plenty of forums on the internet, you know the typical tech-heads that live and breath this sort of stuff and even they claimed that software can damage hardware. NO, Software CAN'T break hardware...BUT IT CAN PUSH THE MACHINE TO WORK HARD AND MAY CAUSE OVERHEATING PROBLEMS - Even malicious code/viruses cannot break your machine!!! Stress on hardware breaks hardware.

But going back on something you previously said, if Heavy Rain is pushing the PS3 far enough to break it, then it is the game that is to blame, No...the game/software isn't to blame, but deficiencies in the machine PARTS/AGE/CONDITION are....the game is in no way responsible!! GERRIT?? it has absolutely nothing to do with the game otherwise, there would be 500,000 "broken" PS3's...Am I getting through at all? You really ought to learn to read more carefully. Why not find out what exactly caused your machine to stop working? If it had knackered whilst you were on Home, would you blame Home? Any one of the components in your machine could have broken. My husband is one of those tech-heads you mentioned, which is why I know your claim of the game breaking your machine is total and utter b@llocks...Can you explain why the rest of the 500,000 PS3's are not broken? And can you please tell me where you got your "thousands of broken PS3's" figure from? You seem to have missed that part in the post I made above, or do you have no answer (which is what I actually suspect...)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 47 (5,236 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Games can break hardware, anyone who says they can't is "stupid" (as the poster above calls people who have my view).

As someone pretty handy in the PC world, I assure you bad code can corrupt HDDs by invalid r/w requests, invalid or looping calls or what have you.

On the other side, graphics cards can be damaged by software overclocking as an example of the heat releated issue. While the poster above correctly identifies over-heating could be an issue, this doesn't address the fact that save games corrupt, trophies disappear and sometimes the PS3 "dies".

The problem in Heavy Rain appears to corrupt save files and in some cases other parts of the O/S on the PS3. If software is causing other software to malfunction this can lead to hardware failure as the corrupted parts of the HDD build. In addition, it's perfectly possible to code either by accident or maliciously programs that can even spike your voltage in your CPU and fry it.

While in no way do I believe that is the issue with Heavy Rain, I do believe the game is corrupting itself on saves and due to the intense and often lock-ups, sound glitches and so forth it can cause Hardware damage. I would be willing to testify that one of my 5.1 speakers crackles now after Heavy Rain decided to freeze and play blasting static out of it in the Investigation at the Train Line wasteland. This clear example of software crashing damaging sound system hardware is a case of poor coding and software on behalf of the developers.

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 47 (5,178 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Domiiinatrix wrote:

.Can you explain why the rest of the 500,000 PS3's are not broken? And can you please tell me where you got your "thousands of broken PS3's" figure from? You seem to have missed that part in the post I made above, or do you have no answer (which is what I actually suspect...) 

By your rationale, cigarettes don't cause lung cancer, as there are millions of people who do smoke & don't have cancer.

In reply to you question, the reason that it isn't breaking every PS3 (if any at all) is the same as why not everyone is having game bugs which is due to the fact that there are a multitude of factors here, the exact same conditions aren't present on every single PS3 out there.

Even Q.D.s have admitted they are having problems locating & replicating the game / bug issues.

Not everything is black & white.

I've also noticed that since you've joined this forum, all you seem to do is run around different threads calling people names and insulting anyone who doesn't agree with your way of thinking.

If someone feels that their use of HR has somehow contributed to the failure of their console, then they are perfectly entitled to have that view - you don't have to agree with it, but you do have to respect their right to hold an opinion that is contrary to yours.

I don't see why you have to start calling people names & making inferences on their levels of intelligence.

HOUSE RULES

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 47 (5,168 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks Sarai_NG for the well informed and well worded post.

As for Domiiinatrix, i'm not going to bother carrying on this discussion with such an arrogant and cocky person such as yourself, you constantly contradict yourself and then try to insult others because of your own intellectual and stubborn shortcomings, as far as i'm concerned and considering the current circumstances, Heavy Rain damaged my PS3 wether directly or indirectly, 'Cause and Effect' it crashed due to severely buggy code, and the crash was severe enough to do vital damage.

Also 'typing more slowly' does not mean typing in CAPTIAL LETTERS.

I take my leave.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 47 (5,167 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Games can break hardware, anyone who says they can't is "stupid" (as the poster above calls people who have my view).

As someone pretty handy in the PC world, I assure you bad code can corrupt HDDs by invalid r/w requests, invalid or looping calls or what have you.

In that case, the HDD is not broken...a simple format and reinstall will return it to fully working order, so it is not broken. Corruption of data is not the same as breaking hardware. I don't know what PC world you're in, but my husband has been building, fixing, overclocking and customising PC's for over 20 years. I'll say it again, software cannot break hardware, it can cause it to malfunction, but it's certainly not broken. A bad install can do the same damage.... I've not said heavy rain has not corrupted data, but it certainly has not broken any machine. There are plenty of guides on the internet to help anyone with formatting. To say that sotware can break hardware is stupid.

I've also noticed that since you've joined this forum, all you seem to do is run around different threads calling people names and insulting anyone who doesn't agree with your way of thinking.

I called the person who believed the game to have broken 2 ps3s stupid for putting said game into another PS3...if that's not the act of a stupid person, then what is it? If he knowingly put the disk into his friend's ps3 after 2 failures, it is he who owes his friend a PS3...and if the friend knew of the history of the disk, he is even more stupid for allowing it to be put into his PS3.  But I don't believe him anyway. Can you tell me where else I've insulted someone or name-called. Apart from on this subject, that is.

Heavy Rain damaged my PS3 wether directly or indirectly, 'Cause and Effect' it crashed due to severely buggy code, and the crash was severe enough to do vital damage.

Format your HDD and if your PS3 is still not working after that, then it's a hardware problem which is in no way related to the software in it at the time. Code can corrupt other code, it cannot break hardware. There are half a million PS3's using this game and all of them would have crashed or broken if it were simply a case of bad coding and knowing that should tell you that you're wrong. 499,995 say that you're wrong. Where have I contradicted myself? Faulty hardware may have broken your PS3, software certainly hasn't. If you truly believe that the game has broken your PS3 hardware, take QD to court or phone Sony and tell them, though be prepared to be laughed at. Could you post the tech sites you got your information from please, as my husband would really like to have a read and pass it on to other, proper tech-heads, it'll certainly give them a giggle - though nothing else. I'm not arrogant or cocky, I just know what I'm talking about.

You may not like what I'm saying, but I'm right.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 47 (5,111 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

and by the way, people blaming a game for these types of problems is nothing new...COD4 and MW2 were also blamed by some for "breaking" or "damaging" their PS3's...which was also erroneous. As to the overclocking issue, the game does not overclock the PS3...PC's are overclocked by users using software deliberately to override the manufacturer's settings, which causes overheating issues if not done properly, so it's a USER issue not a software issue.:smileyindifferent: The PS3 can't be overclocked as it's a closed system and Sony would not allow a game to use overclocking software as they hold too tight a rein on what game developers can and cannot do. Even in the open world of the PC, no-one has ever claimed a game has broken their PC and if they did, they would be met with ridicule and derision by those in the know :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 47 (5,099 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Just on MW2... it made me laugh reading some of those threads, as to the best of my knowledge and experience, MW2 isn't a buggy game (offline at least)... unlike in fairness Heavy Rain.

I suspect the reason why MW2 is "killing" a lot of consoles is because it is probably currently the most popular online game on the PS3 (with the PS3 never truly ever having an online shooter to match Halo's popularity)... We've seen a more recent example of that bandwagoning with people blaming Heavy Rain for the Y2010 'bug', which as we now know had nothing to do with HR or the PSN network.

I suppose in this situation, I ask myself.. could Heavy Rain be responsible for solder issues on a motherboard? :smileywink: ... I accept that it can cause problems with a hard drive, due I guess to information not writing properly nor the game exiting properly during a freeze.

The problem with a console over a PC is, is that your typical 'mid level expert', who sits somewhere between a genuine user with no knowledge other than how to move a controller, and your genuine hardware technician can usually troubleshoot and fix these problems (put a band aid on them at least) on a PC, but they can't on a console.

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 47 (5,084 Views)
0 Kudos