03 Mar 2010
Playstation Staff

So who's HAPPY with Heavy Rain then?

56 Replies 2,101 Views Created 03-03-2010

Purely to counter the alarmist "OMG THE GAME'S BROKEN MY PS3" threads I thought I'd ask who is chuffed with Heavy Rain? :BigGrin:

Easily one of the best - if not, THE best - games I ever played -  (or watched being played for that matter!) Innovative, beautifully presented, emotive, engrossing, intelligent, fun, heart-poundingly toe curling adrenalin rush of a game...I know some people have complained about the controls, but I actually LOVE the controls in this game..it all adds to the panicky feeling, the fear of something happening to your characters simply by missing a button because the game makes you care through brilliant storytelling. Good, solid characters that you can't help but feel an affinity to. Never have I played a game that's drawn me in like Heavy Rain has -  I've found it hard sometimes to kill off some of the characters for instance, taking the easier options when presented...and I'm a cold hearted woman! LOL

To those people who complain about it only being a "short game" being that it takes an average of ten hours to play through the first time, the fact that it's so well written and the plot and scenes can alter completely depending upon your decisions and missing buttons can take the game in an altogether unexpected direction, if you don't get 50 hours minimum of gameplay out of it then you are only robbing yourself. I know that even though I've almost got all the trophies and seen all that is in the game, I'll put it on the shelf and in months to come I'll take it down, stick it in the ps3 and have just as much fun as I have this week playing it through again...

...and we have the added bonus of DLC, which (if the Taxidermist scene is anything to go by) is going to keep me rapt too! Bear in mind that movie companies don't like to make films that run over 3 hours long as they fear the audience would become bored...heavy rain plays for ten hours per playthrough and keeps you entertained every minute of it - then you play it through again and it gets better! even if it doesn't necessarily suit your morals.

My husband is an avid FPS gamer and he's sat and played the game with enthusiasm rivalling my own....he's even sat and watched it being played for more hours than he's been allowed to play it - and believe me, that says alot!

So are you happy too? ( please tag any spoilers...I'd hate to ruin someone else's experience).

SoDomi non sapiens Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 57 (2,101 Views)
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: So who's HAPPY with Heavy Rain then?

I really enjoyed the game so much and I am going after the last ending as I unlocked all other endings so far. I just need the last ending and thats It and only three trophies left to go before getting platinum :smileyhappy:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 57 (1,973 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Really enjoyed the game, hardly had any problems with anything, got Platinum for it this evening too :Thumbs:

PlayStation 4 Preordered!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 57 (1,973 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Glad to see someone creating a thread saying they that actually enjoyed Heavy Rain :smileyvery-happy:

I don't think I have seen a thread on here since release that hasn't been a complaint of some form of the other.

Personally, I absolutely loved the game, all the way through it was amazing experience. Such a compelling story with real genuine characters who you grew attached to as you played, the only other games which had this effect on me is the Mass Effect series with its characters and amazing story and dialogue, but Heavy Rain now easily sits alongside them as one of the best games I have ever played.

Personally, I was happy with length, much prefering that it was an exhilarating experience from start to finish than if they had tried to draw it out too long. Farenheit which is another game I loved, and essentially David Cage's first attempt at interactive drama, was an amazing game, but the quality of the story dropped dramatically in last quarter, which Cage admititng himself that they essentially ran out of time. Im glad to see however that he did not repeat this again with Heavy Rain.

As for the issues being reported, I can honestly say I experienced very few issues with the game, the odd screan tearing and loss of audio for about a second, but this was very rare. No save issues at all and I am yet to have the game lock up on me yet.

I know that other people are experiencing issues with this game, but I feel the majority of people are majorily over-reacting to the situation and being very unfair with their demands and accusations to Sony and Quantic Dream.

Considering the amount of people who bought the game, most of whom will never post on these forums to say the game is working fine, it is very much likely that it is only a very small percentage of buyers who are experiencing such major issues with the game.

I can't help but believe that these people who shout and scream, demanding money back and instant fixes, probably aren't mature enough to appreciate Heavy Rain for what is in the first place.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 57 (1,964 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

MEEE! :smileyvery-happy:

Look... as a narrative and interactive experience it was everything I wanted/hoped... It eclipses Fahrenheit in every single way. And it is the first game I have seen use QTE in that manner...

examples (in white): Ethan getting his arm bandaged, giving Shaun CPR...  that is QTE at it's finest... none of this GOW hit X to stab Zeus kind of thing.

Okay, the story was a bit cliched, and borrowed from various movies in parts... Saw, even Indiana Jones, and for me Lethal Weapon 2 in one spot... The story I think is also best if you play the fullest version of every scene to either the ultimate Happy Day Scenario, or Bad Ending Scenario...You get a few more details that way which you can easily miss in other alt endings.

Also regarding the ending(s) the twist has a few holes, but I blame this on the medium, not so much a badly written story... If this was a movie, and the twist came with Shelby, you wouldn't think twice about the plausibility... especially after the flashbacks of him cleaning up after himself.... because a director isn't going give that character as much opportunity to act heroic during the movie as we gave Shelby, nor can the viewer read the character's thoughts. The problem lies in us actually playing him, and controlling his actions and 'reading his thoughts'.

The biggest negative I guess that there are a few tech issues, and some people have had worse experiences than others, so I can't ignore that.... I haven't had any  major dramas yet... touch wood that continues... It would also be nice if you could kill Shelby and Ethan during the game, but I can understand why you can't.... and if you are still under the illusion that you can, the exileration is still there on your first playthrough... every trial I did with Ethan was nerve wracking as I feared his demise, unknown to me that even if he fails the trial he is safe.... Same with Scott during the shootout and when he is underwater... In that respect it truly is a game worth savouring your first playthrough and keeping spoiler and detail free before playing..

As I said in that other thread, a 20 hour first playthrough wouldn't work in a game like this... and most narrative games like Uncharted 2 are no different... As long as a game gives me an incentive to replay it, I don't care.... and this game does that.... and although some chapters don't change much, there are enough chapters with some major variances in them, that I still have a lot of level selecting without saving to come... :smileyhappy:

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 57 (1,965 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I'm extremely happy with Heavy Rain. I've been looking forward to it for years with great anticipation, and if anything, it has exceeded my expectations. Absolutely superb experience. I can't wait for the rest of the HR Chronicles to come out now!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 57 (1,937 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

There's at least another thread wanting to share positive feedback about the game. I wish everyone got organized and made a huge thread on how great this game is. Why does everybody always have to focus on the negative, why does the negative always get more replies, more words, more people?

Anyway, I love this game. It's been on my head ever since I picked it up and pressed start. Ethan's story has stuck to me, and won't let me go, neither will he. Or Shaun, or Norman, or Shelby.

My mom's usually beside me while I play, playing other games in her laptop, and she's watched me play the game so many times already, repeating scenes, trying different things. She's just as much in awe of the game as I am (and then again maybe more).

There's emotion in it. It's so rare to have that in a video game these days. Great characters, with actual complex personalities and tough decisions to make. No one's perfect in this game, I really like that.

I liked the dialogue (that's always the breaking point for me), the way they incorporated thoughts into the scenes, the camera angles (I admit I've been spoiled by the likes of GTA4 with free camera modes, but I understand what they did with Heavy Rain, it's a question of photography).

There's just so much to like about HR. Sure it's frozen on me more times than any other PS3 game I've played has of yet. Sure there's been the odd glitch, weren't it the nature of the game I might have let out a chuckle or two at the sheer absurdity of it.

But thank goodness, I've been able to play it quite a few times now, and I love it. It's the best game to have been released in 10 years or so. It's one of the best games ever made, period. And whoever cannot see that needs to have an ego check. I'd say it's already a classic, but I guess you need to give it at least five years to call it that.

And it's the first of a new kind.

I can't wait to see and play what comes next.

So, thank you Quantic Dream and everyone involved in the making of this "game" (the meaning of that word has been permanently expanded by it).

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 57 (1,969 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

dizzy-zoe wrote:

There's at least another thread wanting to share positive feedback about the game. I wish everyone got organized and made a huge thread on how great this game is. Why does everybody always have to focus on the negative, why does the negative always get more replies, more words, more people?

Could be because anyone who can play the game with no problems don't have time to post because they're too busily engrossed in the game:smileyvery-happy:

Glad to see the merits of the game being discussed rather than the negatives. Everyone I know personally that have played the game haven't had those issues and every single one of them are blown away by the game. Even with the screen tearing and minor glitches (the game has frozen twice in around 6/7 playthroughs) it's still GOTY for me...can't see any other game coming close especially if they get these problems sorted so that more people can finally get to experience the game as we have. Thanks for the intelligent replies folks.:smileyhappy:

SoDomi non sapiens Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 57 (1,879 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Love, love, love this game!!!

What a great story and so many choices to make as well along the way. Such a refreshing change from the norm of games.

Not a single glitch or hicup during my game play. I installed the game first and then I installed the patch after.

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 57 (1,872 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Having played through the game several times to see the different outcomes, I've spent the past couple of nights just having a good look around the various environments. In most scenes you can wander off quite a distance from the main objective to explore the surroundings. Being an artist type person myself, I get a lot of enjoyment out of simply looking around the gorgeous scenery. The attention to detail, and the quality of the art direction is amazing. In the process of exploring, I'm still discovering interactive elements that I completely overlooked in my initial play-throughs - nothing that affects the game as such, but some nice little touches. Congratulations Quantic Dream - this is a class act.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 57 (1,859 Views)
0 Kudos