02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

New players to BF3 from COD

21 Replies 1,007 Views Created 01-11-2011

1st post!

I was looking for some opinions from COD players that are new to the BF series, in particular those who already have BF3 of course! I started playing the COD series from the first Modern Warfare (so I have 4 years' worth of games) but am getting a bit bored of the same stuff year after year. Obviously, with the releases of both games so close to each other, I thought a change would be nice.

I played the BF3 beta and quite enjoyed it so am tempted for the move away from the annual CODfest.

So, any opions appreciated...interested to know about differences in gameplay and adapting to BF3 e.g. character movement, playing in squads, types/quality of maps etc. I'd also be interested to know from peeps who, after playing BF3, didn't like it and will wait for COD:MW3 to come out next week.

Cheers in advance, Disco :smileytongue:

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

SilentShadow777

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SilentShadow777
Accepted Solution
i would say rent the full game, the beta isnt what i would really call a true battlefield experience, operation metro is not a great map to make a decision based on if you havent played previous battlefield games
0 Kudos

Re: New players to BF3 from COD

Twitter @SilentShadow777
Destiny Profiles Hunter | Titan | Warlock
Beta Tester
/16

funkpower

• Beta Tester
81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
funkpower
Accepted Solution

If you like COD you will hate BF3!

And hopefully when COD is released all the non spotting ammo hugging headless chickens will return to what they know best! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Beta Tester
/16

Danlisa

• Beta Tester
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution

^ Add to that the spawn campers, no scope snipers, nade spammers, RPG spammers, medics not offering healing kit, support not offering ammo kits and the 'I think I'm a good player if I spam the jump button' crowd. :(

One more for good measure, the 'lets park a tank on it's side on this flight of stairs' dimwits.

Now that's out of my system, I feel better.

[ Edited ]

Beta Tester
/16

funkpower

• Beta Tester
81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
funkpower
Accepted Solution

Danlisa wrote:

^ Add to that the spawn campers, no scope snipers, nade spammers, RPG spammers, medics not offering healing kit, support not offering ammo kits and the 'I think I'm a good player if I spam the jump button' crowd. :(

One more for good measure, the 'lets park a tank on it's side on this flight of stairs' dimwits.

Now that's out of my system, I feel better.

So true Danlisa! You can spot a CODy a mile off! But not long now before they leave the real Battlefield and head back to performing the 100 sprint. How dare they even think about coming to the other side!?

Ammo!! Huh? Ammo!!!!! Huh??? Ammo!!! 

Light em up!! Huh???? Light em up!!! Huh??

Ok just run then...............

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
/16

Deano2087

95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Deano2087
Accepted Solution
I like of aswell. Well I like modern warfare, hate black ops. Though I adore battlefield 3 I will still be buying MW3 and mixing between the two. Unless I really dislike MW3. So far BF3 had done a better job on advertisement to prompt me to by it rather than MW3 has. Best thing is bf3 is more squad/tactical focus which is what cod lacks but to me it's still fun nonetheless
0 Kudos

Playing: Tomb Raider, COD: ghosts
/16

Brownie-UK8

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Brownie-UK8
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Brownie-uk7

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Brownie-uk7
Accepted Solution
Some nice posts in response to a fair question on advice from a first time poster.

Don't be put off. The game is immense and far more immersive than cod is. Campaign has its flaws but mp is the best you will get on this gen of consoles. Go for it and you will never look back!
0 Kudos

/16

Shox121

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Shox121
Accepted Solution
Brownie said it all really. Just be prepared for a bit of learning time to get used to the non "run n gun" style most cod players will be used to.
And don't forget to try out conquest mode. Its far superior to rush mode.
0 Kudos

/16

IrishViper1

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
IrishViper1
Accepted Solution

Only bad thing about BF3 MP is Campers if you think camping is bad on COD you haven't seen anything until you play BF3,

For instance I was playing Conquest recently where the objective of the game is to cap flags of which there are four it's more or less the same as domination on COD,The game begins myself and the other 11 players race to A and cap it , I run to B to cap it I cap B then I notice my mini map and I'm the only one on it,

Have my team left all of them ? I return to A and there they all are 11 players and every single one of them camping around A all I could do was laugh.

Another bad thing about BF3 MP is no one uses headsets which destroys team based games as you have the idiots playing for themselves and not the team the lack of team play is a joke well on the PS3 anyway it is much better on PC but as we all know that is where the real gamers play is on PC.

0 Kudos

/16

Mike939

96%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mike939
Accepted Solution

IrishViper1 wrote:

Only bad thing about BF3 MP is Campers if you think camping is bad on COD you haven't seen anything until you play BF3,

For instance I was playing Conquest recently where the objective of the game is to cap flags of which there are four it's more or less the same as domination on COD,The game begins myself and the other 11 players race to A and cap it , I run to B to cap it I cap B then I notice my mini map and I'm the only one on it,

Have my team left all of them ? I return to A and there they all are 11 players and every single one of them camping around A all I could do was laugh.

Another bad thing about BF3 MP is no one uses headsets which destroys team based games as you have the idiots playing for themselves and not the team the lack of team play is a joke well on the PS3 anyway it is much better on PC but as we all know that is where the real gamers play is on PC.

Yes of course;)

*All my spelling and grammar mistakes are on purpose.
Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
99%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution

IrishViper1 wrote:

it is much better on PC but as we all know that is where the real gamers play is on PC.

Ooh, I must be playing with lots of imaginary gamers then, cool.

My flickr
Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
Beta Tester
/16

AAAAAAAARRGH

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AAAAAAAARRGH
Accepted Solution

Danlisa wrote:

Aww my face has gone red reading that :smileytongue: That was what I did the first time I hopped into a tank last night, but in my defence my vision was obscured by smoke. 

@ OP yeah I'm  crossing over from COD too although I haven't played Blops since the beginning of the year. BF3 seems much superior in so many ways. Some of the stuff squads do is very impressive.

And to the vets, yup I spot, dish out medi-kits, try to revive people at the right times while going for the objectives.

0 Kudos

/16

Mr_Inconspicous

99%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mr_Inconspicous
Accepted Solution

AAAAAAAARRGH wrote:

Danlisa wrote:

Aww my face has gone red reading that :smileytongue: That was what I did the first time I hopped into a tank last night, but in my defence my vision was obscured by smoke. 

Me and ratchet were struggling to get used to the drivers machine gun the other day. In BFBC2 the driver could use the main turrets gun with L1 but then chose different items in the spec slots. The 3rd spec slot was for vehicles and the there was an option of an extra machine gun and another for optics which were both used by pressing R1. So we got used to using R1 for the drivers machine gun. Smoke was also available (again R1) but its only purpose was to make any tracer darts fall off which in a tank isn't really needed as you should be able to shrug and engineer off fairly easily and the dart only lasted for 60 seconds. ?Now on BF you can select 3 things to add on to your tank :D Atm we both have machine gun and smoke but all machine guns now used by changing with triangle and then using L1. But me and ratchet kept pressing R1 out of habit and firing smoke instead :Stupid:

Though my main point is never let the enemy see the side or back of your tank. The back is weakest part followed by the sides. The front is the strongest. Always have the front of your tank pointing at the enemy, if taking on another tank try to hit their side of rear.

If you see an enemy tank facing away from you and you hit then your have virtually won already. By the time they have reacted to your first hit  and started to turn you will have hit them for a second time before they are facing you and you have hit them on their weakest point. Most will turn their turret but a more experienced tanker will turn the full tank whilst turning the turret separately. Do the same if your attacked. Turn your turret in their direction whilst also turning the tank to face them. It may save you. It will save you if you are an engineer and can repair between reloads or have a gunner as engineer. If your an engineer and your gunner isn't get out, repair whilst your gunner mans the driving seat that's where squads and mikes come in very useful. And don't forget if repairing put the full tank between you and the enemy :Stupid:

Always point your tank at the enemy. Infantry doesn't really matter unless they are engineers.

/16

Mr_Inconspicous

99%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mr_Inconspicous
Accepted Solution

funkpower wrote:

If you like COD you will hate BF3!

And hopefully when COD is released all the non spotting ammo hugging headless chickens will return to what they know best! 

I like CoD but think BF3 is far better.

What I don't like people who come over from CoD don't bother to try to get an understanding of the classes and the way they help the team.

@Disco You may find this video useful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p4fkH9qC4M

Some things have changed like the classes but it explains things better than "how not to be a noob in BF3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WG5XQqMsmw 

0 Kudos

/16

TehPhilosopher

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPhilosopher
Accepted Solution
Unlike some of the responses would suggest, you are most definitely welcome. Just note also that it's a very different game, and requires a much more measured approach. If you play it like CoD, you will get WTFPWNED hard, and quit in disgust. Get to know a role well, I'd recommend Assault or Support first. Try to work in a team, help your squad mates, and most importantly PTFO (play the *****ing objective). K/D ratio doesn't win games (well, it can in DM, but DM is not BF).

/16

Rookie18

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rookie18
Accepted Solution
Just a bit of a generalisation about COD players on here. They're not all bad, they're just people who have been playing a different game to you. Give them a chance. Its just a game.
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

xDiscoDavex

67%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xDiscoDavex
Accepted Solution

@Mr_Inconpicous

Cheers for the link, v. useful! As mentioned by a couple of the other guys, BF3 does look quite a bit more involved than COD for sure, defo a steeper learning curve then when I went into COD for the first time!

I like the fact BF is a bit more geared towards teamwork and helping your buds out using other things mentioned in the vid (ammo packs/health etc). When I played the beta, I didn't do hardly any of this extra stuff, I just shot at the bad guys when I saw them! I didn't think the beta map was that bad...and at least BF got a beta unlike COD :smileyindifferent: At least it gave complete BF noobs like me a chance to see what it's like rather than just buying the full game at launch then saying it sucks as it's not like COD!

I can see the COD style of play wouldn't work for sure in this game as it's much more tactical then COD and can see how that would annoy BF vets. So I can't blame you for wanting to see the back of them/us next Tuesday!

So maybe the games arej ust  different enough to warrant getting both...I actually switched to COD on the PS3 (first on-line game for me on the PS3) from Socom on PS2. And I used to still love playing both and that was like chalk and cheese!

But I guess I'll just go rent a copy as suggested or blag it off a mate when he's not playing it and see what's what. But cheers for the comments so far :smileytongue:

0 Kudos

/16

Mr_Inconspicous

99%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mr_Inconspicous
Accepted Solution

xDiscoDavex wrote:

@Mr_Inconpicous

Cheers for the link, v. useful! As mentioned by a couple of the other guys, BF3 does look quite a bit more involved than COD for sure, defo a steeper learning curve then when I went into COD for the first time!

I like the fact BF is a bit more geared towards teamwork and helping your buds out using other things mentioned in the vid (ammo packs/health etc). When I played the beta, I didn't do hardly any of this extra stuff, I just shot at the bad guys when I saw them! I didn't think the beta map was that bad...and at least BF got a beta unlike COD :smileyindifferent: At least it gave complete BF noobs like me a chance to see what it's like rather than just buying the full game at launch then saying it sucks as it's not like COD!

I can see the COD style of play wouldn't work for sure in this game as it's much more tactical then COD and can see how that would annoy BF vets. So I can't blame you for wanting to see the back of them/us next Tuesday!

So maybe the games arej ust  different enough to warrant getting both...I actually switched to COD on the PS3 (first on-line game for me on the PS3) from Socom on PS2. And I used to still love playing both and that was like chalk and cheese!

But I guess I'll just go rent a copy as suggested or blag it off a mate when he's not playing it and see what's what. But cheers for the comments so far :smileytongue:

SOCOM was my first multiplayer game :D. Confrontation. Had SOCOM 1 on PS2 but didn't have broadband at the time :(

You can play BF with a bit of run and gun tactics. Well not in rush but you can in conquest and team/squad death match. Well I could on the smaller maps on BFBC2. Not entirely sure for BF3 yet. Only played a bit of conquest. Mainly been in team death match whilst the parties are all messed up. Would rather play rush and conquest with a squad I know, its more fun that way. On my own I just pick TDM and run n gun :lol: 

/16

P1Fanatic

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
P1Fanatic
Accepted Solution
Ive made the transition. Played MW2 religiously and was pretty handy at it after taking a while to grasp PS3 controls (was a PC FPS player before). Admittedly I did play BF2142 on the PC so have some BF experience and always enjoyed the different classes as well as vehicles & aircraft. I was all ready to pre-order MW3 when both it and BF3 were gonna be released on the same day. But then EA moved BF3 forward and put the beta out. I hated the beta at the start as so many bugs like walking waist high in the ground and getting stuck in parts of the map. That soon got sorted out and I really got into it even though it was just 1 map. Ranked up to lvl 35 and was gutted they switched the beta off boooo. At that point I decided to pre-order BF3 and try it out - worst case i dont get on with it and can sell it on and still get MW3. Now Ive played the full game MW3 has no chance. The realism of BF3 is just amazing - the sound effects are brilliant. Running along with jets screaming overhead, the gunfire sounds realistic and changes tone if your in a confined space etc. It takes more skill to kill people whereas MW is almost too easy. I have a few issues with the game crashing or not connecting first time to a server. And I must admit I do find it a lot harder to play the full game in terms of getting kills than in the beta but maybe thats because all the BF vets are playing now. Does get a bit annoying when you need ammo, medic etc and people just run around doing nothing. I say do it - I wont be going back to MW any time soon! Simon
0 Kudos

BF3 Stats
/16
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MalevolentEntity
Accepted Solution

i crossed over to the battlefield side on BFBC2, and have never looked back since, the battlefield style appeals more to my style of gameplay than COD,  no greater gaming experience than having a squad that works together, moving from objective to objective, and owning the map.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel