Battlefield

19 Jul 2012
By: killerkipling Member 639 Posts
Level 5

PS3 not being pushed to it's limits?

12 Replies 1687 Views Created 19-07-2012

Yes, you read right. According to this web page http://www.ps4playstation4.com/ps4-release-date-countdown-begins

"Although we've yet to see what the PS3 can fully do when really put through its paces (in fact Sony states that games currently on the market are not even close to pushing the system to its full potential)"

Seriously? So what's wrong with BF3 then? Why do we have the freezes / lock-ups / lag if it's not pushing the PS3 to it's limitations. are the game developers at fault? is it crappy code?

Discuss . . .

Unlike the British Government, I actually learn from my mistakes.
 photo 164_zps01d7b39e.gif
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (1,687 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Re: PS3 not being pushed to it's limits?

[ Edited ]

killerkipling wrote:

Yes, you read right. According to this web page http://www.ps4playstation4.com/ps4-release-date-countdown-begins

"Although we've yet to see what the PS3 can fully do when really put through its paces (in fact Sony states that games currently on the market are not even close to pushing the system to its full potential)"

Seriously? So what's wrong with BF3 then? Why do we have the freezes / lock-ups / lag if it's not pushing the PS3 to it's limitations. are the game developers at fault? is it crappy code?

Discuss . . .

freezes/lag etc are not a sign that the console is being pushed to the limit,these are coding ralated problems..

i believe that theres probably a little more devs could squeeze out of the ps3 as far as graphics are concerned,but they have hit a brick wall when it comes to memory (ram) particularly on the ps3..

its supposedly harder to squeeze more memory out of the ps3 due to how sony implemented it compaired to other consoles, so on that front i would say the ps3 has went as far as it can as far as memory is concerned.. (alot of devs have voiced this too)

also im sure i read a naughty dog quote somewhere stating that uncharted 3 pretty much pushes the ps3 to its limit and they are a sony dev..

i think that statement  "sony states that games currently on the market are not even close to pushing the system to its full potential)" is either wrong/misquote/old or just sony marketing trying to encourage more ps3 sales...

if they said yes the ps3 has gone as far as it can anyone still interested buying a ps3 will probably wait for the ps4,thus hurting current ps3 sales..

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (1,679 Views)
Level 9

[ Edited ]

I would hate any game pushing the console to its limits. That would be like driving your car and redlining it in every gear everywhere you go. It's not going to do the engine any good or last very long.

Games should be designed to run effectively and efficiently. Not strain the console to its death.

As for lag, thats subjective to our connections. Freezing is subjective to our consoles. I haven't experienced many freezes with this game and not had one since Close Quarters. While I bet others have had one or two since.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (1,655 Views)
Level 7

(in fact Sony states that games currently on the market are not even close to pushing the system to its full potential)"

I'll take their word for it given the lack of credible source :\

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (1,646 Views)
Level 5

ytevo79  Freezing is subjective to our consoles. I haven't experienced many freezes with this game and not had one since Close Quarters. While I bet others have had one or two since.

i seem to be the opposite,i had maybe 2/3 lockups on battlefield 3 since release,but after buying premium and downloading the close quarters maps ive had a lot more,easily 10+,just yesterday i had 2 in a row within minutes of booting the game up,or the less worrying but just as annoying endless loading screen (that only seems to happen on co op though) 

i dont get this with any other games i currentl play which leads me to believe its the game not my console..

seems quite random too sometimes i can play for hours with no problem,other times ive had lockups after 5 mins of playing..

i noticed that everytime it has locked up is just after i have been killed then when on the spawn screen i push square to change my class and it freezes the system..

what i dont get is how me and a few others are getting more lockups while others have no problem..

think im gonna delete all the battlefield 3 data and do another install see if that helps.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (1,613 Views)
Level 4

[ Edited ]

killerkipling wrote:

Discuss . . .

they're kidding right? that quote is 2-3 years old.

In all honesty it's there to drive traffic and up their alexa rankings.

Can devs get more from the PS3?

I doubt they can get much more, but I think they can probably squeeze a couple of percent more from better coding, but Sony can probably help out too with improved development tools.

As for the PS4 countdown... LOL, Sony haven't even announced the console yet, so where did they get the countdown from? Thin air!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (1,569 Views)
Level 10

I blame the XMB, that's where most my freezes come from when accessing it. *waves angry stick with a sock on the end*
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (1,564 Views)
Level 5

[ Edited ]

The console appears to struggle sometimes during BF3,  i'd say its definitely being worked hard.   For the next console and Battlefield game i'd like graphics so good you'd almost think it was live action,  and definitely in 3D.  

If BF4 looks like BF3 i'll be gutted.  The 'Ultra HD' frostbite damage promised in the close quarters pack didn't really impress me. 

BF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (1,552 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

LSD-39 wrote:

If BF4 looks like BF3 i'll be gutted.  The 'Ultra HD' frostbite damage promised in the close quarters pack didn't really impress me. 

If BF4 looked like the BF3 PC version on console I'd be happy enough. Next gen, I think online games should evolve into larger numbers. 12v12 works on the console size maps, but  everyone wants the BF experience, & the only place to get the full experience is the PC.

Check out my Podcast. The Fellaship Podcast.
TFP On iTunes

TFP On Facebook
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (1,533 Views)
Level 3

[ Edited ]

The real problem is that beside Sony developers (Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica, Quantic Dream & Insomniac) few really used the PS3 well or used the Blu-Ray capacity appropriately (if the Xbox version had 1 DVD only then the Blu-ray had 40Gb unused because a Xbox DVD can contain only 9Gb.)
I read Digital Foundry's Face-offs and really I can name all the multi-platform titles that are better on PS3 because they are truly few.
Also few multi-platform titles are good on PS3 as on Xbox, even major ones, so we PS3 owners are really mistreated by this industry.
Sony, sadly, din't demand to multi-platform games a quality standard which means that we have: sub HD games, no full installation on the HDD, worst performance overall & worst video quality for 90% of PS3 versions.
Also there are still developers that after 5 years claims the PS3 is difficult to program; after 5 years this has become simply a an excuse, a poor excuse.

This must change for the PS4: Sony must demand quality on multi-platform titles on PS4, Sony must protect PS4 owners more then now.
We can't have several more Skyrim on PS4!

Now back on topic:
The PS3 is a known machine and good developers knows its limits and its strengths so more quality can now come form the software side: better engines, better programming, better software that exploits the hardware in full.

BF 3 is one of those rare cases in which perforce is on par with the Xbox BUT not better..which is depressing when the size of the game is just 15 Gb and so we on PS3 could much more.

Disc speed still favours the Xbox DVDs but hell we could have 4-5 times more stuff on our Blu-ray.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (1,519 Views)
0 Kudos