24 Jul 2012
Playstation Staff

The Importance of Smoking the Enemy!

8 Replies 211 Views Created 24-07-2012

Hey guys, I've literally just had my must interesting BF3 match so far!

I was playing on Operation Metro on Rush and we were underground, losing with only 200 tickets left. Then, I decided to sneak past the enemy lines.

They were all camping on the two main entrances up to the 3rd set of objectives. I decided to knock some smoke in their face and the whole team ran past them, shooting them whilst they fumbled around blindly. It was a lot thicker than I expected and it lasted a fair while too!

I had my trusty infrared vision on and got rid of a couple of enemies myself and with my frag specialization, I had plenty more ammo for my smoke launcher! I used the rest on slowly moving up to the objective until I could plant the bomb. Then a support guy came along with an ammo box which replenished my supplies! I laid down the smoke, spamming it to ensure the enemy had no visibility whatsoever.

Causton97 - 1 Enemies - 0

Rinsed and repeated for the rest of the match. Worked like a charm and led us to victory! 

NEVER underestimate the power of using smoke! :BigGrin:

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (211 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: The Importance of Smoking the Enemy!

Well played  :smileyhappy: 

I often get killed because i've stood still somewhere on Ziba Tower to roll a smoke,  lost many sets of tags that way.  Either that or i'm so engrossed in the game that I flick ash in my drink instead of the ashtray beside it.  :smileysad:  

I wish there were flash bangs for close quarters,  or even just florescent lights in the rooms that you could shoot at and they'd strobe.  It might add to the atmosphere.

BF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (203 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Flashbangs would be a great addition! Throw one into a room and then clear all the enemies out! It'd be like some sort of awesome slow mo special forces moment! 

What about smoke grenades though? Different from the grenade launcher variation. I mean a proper smoke capsule that can be thrown that gives of a smoke screen that is continuously pumped out... now THAT would be cool! Just get your squad mates to spam it in a narrow area and waltz straight past the enemy team! 

Then I suppose they could add thermal or night vision goggles as an extra gadget to see through the smoke. Although that'd render the infrared scope on the guns useless. I'd much prefer goggles to a scope on a gun though. You'd look cool and it would allow for some new tactics to be employed in the game! 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (200 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Smoke grenades would be great,  or flashbangs as long as they replace your standard grenades.  People always say flashbangs would ruin the game and make it like COD but it already is like that on the CQ maps.  

All they need to do is make flashbangs completely ineffective outdoors then everybody's happy.  If people don't like all that stuff then don't play CQ.  I doubt they'll include them now though,  they would have done it with the DLC if they were going to.  

I agree that smoke is an underused tactic,  its very effective in many situations. 

BF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (190 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Smoking Kills!

That's been my comment whilst playing Attackers on Rush. I've not really got into Rush too much with BF3 and have started playing more, when the chips are down and we're being constantly supressed and held back. I'll whip out the smoke and create a little cover for my team mates. 

The otherday I would flank the enemy, lay down some smoke where they'd all be hiding (aka camping) and then go on the revive hunt whilst the smoke cover was up. Got about 18 revives on Damavand Peak alone.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (178 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I have been using the smoke mortar on games of rush for ages and if you find you team struggling to get to the Mcom a few mortars on there usually gives them a chance. Very under used though
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

If you get a whole squad using smoke, the combined effect will easily let you sneak past the enemy. A support guy can hand out the ammo and use his mortars, while the rest of the squad fire smoke repeatedly. Nothing can go wrong if you do it at a distance!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (163 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I think there should be more oppurtunities for teams to actually reach the area of the objective. Time after time, the team has been completely wiped out from running up the stairs from the escalator in Metro. It's the same story in the other area which gets you to the objective. They should just be out of bounds to the defending team, so as to give us a chance to get close to the objective.

Smoke can only do so much for a team...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (143 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

They've changed the TUGs motion sensor function now I noticed.  

The big problem on Metro was its easy for a team to secure the ticket hall because one sensor shows attackers both upstairs & downstairs and its virtually impossible to sneak past.  Not so in the Close Quarters DLC,  the TUGs still senses motion on both levels but only displays hits on the mini map for the level you're actually on.

So you can't see attackers sneaking about downstairs until they come up the staircases,  unless you go down yourself then the sensor will show you any ground floor hits.  I don't know if that is a global change to the TUGs function because I haven't played Metro in ages,  but if so it'll be a significant change to certain maps. 

BF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (128 Views)
0 Kudos