51%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

helicopter problem

20 Replies 2,624 Views Created 02-11-2008

after the new update ive had this happen twice in a few hours - when ive got in to a chopper and just about to take off, the whole game has frozen and the only way i could get out of it was to reboot my ps3 and start again.

anyone else had this problem or just me? not seen a thread about this yet so im guessing i may be on me own...

0 Kudos
LABELS:
regards
[FANe]BeerChicken
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Killzone_Kid

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Killzone_Kid
Accepted Solution
Yep this happened to Symonator a lot and today it happened to me too on Crossing over.
0 Kudos

Re: helicopter problem

Beta Tester
/16

Silvernige

• Beta Tester
98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Silvernige
Accepted Solution
I have just had the same freeze not 10 minutes ago. I think its happened once before since the update.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Symonator

• Beta Tester
88%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Symonator
Accepted Solution
yup, it seems to be coming a big issue!
ea.com forums are complaiing about it, ea.co.uk forums are too.

May i suggest putting your feedback here for this issue:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company/
Make a thread called "heli freeze" and ill also put my issue in there wen i see yours.

I complained alot about this issue here, spat my dummy out the pram http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company/357272-feedback-new-update.html

edit: actually ill make a new thread over there so reply on it if u have any issues:
Message Edited by Symonator on 03-11-2008 12:46 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Yeah this has been happening for ever - it's most common in flight when attacking the third base on End of the Line gold rush. Fortunately it's not a common bug - but it's quite annoying when it does happen.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Symonator

• Beta Tester
88%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Symonator
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

/16

YorkshirePud82

99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
YorkshirePud82
Accepted Solution
its happening a hell of a lot for me, causing me no end of grief :(
0 Kudos

Oldies can still be goldies
Beta Tester
/16

Symonator

• Beta Tester
88%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Symonator
Accepted Solution
same here, resetting to much now.
0 Kudos

/16

Killzone_Kid

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Killzone_Kid
Accepted Solution

Symonator wrote:
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company/358509-battlefield-freezing-helicopters.h...

LOL, you really said it all ;) I was playing with Blue and could hear him swearing 'What the **** You cant shoot me from there you ****....' and I totally agree with everything he was saying. We got into few laggy games and it was almost impossible to kill anyone. I emptied the whole XM8C clip into their support then reloaded and it took another half clip to finish him off. This was something. I've been playing long enough with the same weapon to know how long and under what circumstance it takes to kill another player. That was not it. I would bump into their demo and could not even react I was already dead. I thought how could this be possible, I was through this millions of times and it never was like that. Then I figured they see me before I see them, and it got confirmed after few times I noticed a guy running towards me then when he was pretty close the game started to sync on me and him and he started to teleport on my screen. This could only happen if our games were running in different times. Before the patch the laggy games used to sync often and you could see the lag straight away, now they sync only when you are close to each other and because of that it takes much longer to kill distant running players as although the hit registers on your screen it doesn't on their, then the game takes average and you're ****ed.

Bring the old lag back at least you know when it is on so you can quit that game!!!
Message Edited by Killzone_Kid on 03-11-2008 03:05 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

That sounds like really bad lag handling. It's not even handling, its more hiding from the sound of it... IMO if someone on my screen is in my sights and my system registers hits on them, it should be those hits that get sent over the network. I don't care where the other guy thinks I am or the average of the error - my game state should be what the server takes into account from my packets. This might result in people getting shot round corners etc like CoD4, but at least as a player you feel the game is responding as it should.

I LOL'd hard at Unreal 3's handling of lag - I couldn't even control my character. I mean if there's lag, surely locally everything should run fine but other players will appear to jump around? I LOL'd - then I traded that turkey in. It's kind of like the rubber band effect you get on BF - which would imply that the system is taking the average of the server's game state and your local state.

0 Kudos

/16

Killzone_Kid

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Killzone_Kid
Accepted Solution
Well I can agree to that but this would be unfair to other player that runs behind. Lets say you are playing on American servers by roll of the DICE. They have everything happening on time and you are behind. If system would trust 1st come 1st served then you will never have a chance unless you ambush someone from behind. But this is what I've been experiencing on laggy games lately. And I do have slight suspicion that appearance of the players could be buggy. Ok. I look down the street. THERE IS NO ONE. I turn around and start getting shot in the back, turn around and there is a guy running towards me shooting. BUT HE WAS NOT THERE A MOMENT AGO. Or maybe he was but not on my screen? How many times I would shoot a guy only for him to disappear instantly and leave his pack behind. Killed enemy normally do not disappear they fall down and stay there for few seconds. If this happens, how can I trust the game that what I see is what it is?
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Yeah that's true, but you could recognise a laggy game and leave to find a new one...as people sometimes have to do currently. Also, the person who can't be bothered to set up their network properly (which will give the same effect as someone with a good network connecting to a remote server) should be punished - not all the other guys in the game with DMZs/UPnP active and working well.

But lag should always manifest itself in terms of the other players - never the local player. I really don't understand games where lag affects me directly (i.e. rubberbanding when trying to run, unable to reload or scope). I wish Incognito would write a Gamasutra article on how to do network code for all developers to see, because Warhawk has amazing network capabilities - even when a laptop knackered my router settings and PSN would take me 10 - 15 attempts to log in, I could still play Warhawk without lag (once I eventually logged in).

I'll be interested to see how Resistance 2 handles it's 60 player online stuff too. I don't remember the first game having any network problems... Other than all the games being one hit kill, infinite ammo, air fuel grenade spawn rapage - but that's not a network issue ;)

0 Kudos

/16

AdZVaughan

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AdZVaughan
Accepted Solution

InfiniteStates wrote:

Yeah that's true, but you could recognise a laggy game and leave to find a new one...as people sometimes have to do currently. Also, the person who can't be bothered to set up their network properly (which will give the same effect as someone with a good network connecting to a remote server) should be punished - not all the other guys in the game with DMZs/UPnP active and working well.

I agree. I mean Iv set up my settings DMZ etc and stil I get lag because of soemone who cant be bothered. I mean So many times lately afater this new patch Iv knifed someone and yet they turn around and knife me. Why is this. Also In a knifing battle I always seem to lose. Is this because of me own personal skill or because of lag. I mean most times Iv got them and hearmy knife hitting them but then they dont die and knife me. Is this lag causing the game to show Iv knifed him when actually he knifed me first?

0 Kudos

/16

YorkshirePud82

99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
YorkshirePud82
Accepted Solution

ive got the DMZ setup from day one when i realised all the ports that needed opening on my ps2 i just thought 'ahh sod it' glad i did :)

i think manufactures could do well to include a console toggle option on new routers that recognises a console and drops it into a dmz with no fuss :)

0 Kudos

Oldies can still be goldies
/16

AdZVaughan

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AdZVaughan
Accepted Solution
Thats a good idea. Get yourself on dragons Den lol. That would be a good mode to have on a router. Then theres no fuss with games like this. Took me ages to get my settings right.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Symonator

• Beta Tester
88%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Symonator
Accepted Solution
i think there is a bt router that is made for consoles but i have no idea what is called?
Im positive it was made just for bt connections however.

Which ever way i use virgin straight into modem no routers invloved for me.
0 Kudos

/16

Killzone_Kid

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Killzone_Kid
Accepted Solution

Symonator wrote:
i think there is a bt router that is made for consoles but i have no idea what is called?
Im positive it was made just for bt connections however.

Which ever way i use virgin straight into modem no routers invloved for me.

Yeah that's the best option NAT1 too. But I have the modem too far from console and other ppl in my house using internetz and as well...though with my new router I can set priority for PS3 and sod them all off hehe.
0 Kudos

/16

Killzone_Kid

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Killzone_Kid
Accepted Solution
Just froze again on Crossing Over in a heli. This is really annoying.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Neshy

• Award Winner
96%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Neshy
Accepted Solution
It't not a bug... It's just EA's hidden way to say: Stay away from the helicopter, go practise!

:D

Well, on a serious note, battlefield has never froze for me - > until this patch. Had about 4-5 freezes the last days, and had to reboot my ps3 all the times. Dont remember if it was in a helicopter though...
Message Edited by Neshy on 05-11-2008 11:29 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Symonator

• Beta Tester
88%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Symonator
Accepted Solution

Neshy wrote:
It't not a bug... It's just EA's hidden way to say: Stay away from the helicopter, go practise!

:D

Well, on a serious note, battlefield has never froze for me - > until this patch. Had about 4-5 freezes the last days, and had to reboot my ps3 all the times. Dont remember if it was in a helicopter though...
Message Edited by Neshy on 05-11-2008 11:29 PM

same for me really.
BTW i like the LBP site u advertise in your sig, its very well done, nice wordpress theme that is!

Anyways @ BeerChicken i didn't realise u were on my list hahah! u added me after a excellent game of me flying u about pwning end of the line lol!
You are a good gunner - if you didn;t know that is :P
0 Kudos

/16

Killzone_Kid

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Killzone_Kid
Accepted Solution
Hey Symonator, if you talk to Gordon again I think this is what is worth mentioning: I was playing with few friends as a squad on Crossing over and spawned in the heli as a gunner, but this friend of mine, normally a decent pilot, was just hovering there doing nothing. I let him know I was in just in case he was waiting for a gunner...nothing, he was not even shooting his rockets. Then we started getting hits and he still did nothing. I thought this was mega weird, only later when I froze on that map in another heli I sent him a message and he said that this happened to him too earlier. So when he froze the game did not kick him out, he was still in the game flying a chopper....with autopilot lol. Dunno if this can help Gordon to sort out the issue, but I seem to remember that Gordon told me the vehicles on those maps are at max and maybe this is what causing freeze? There are lots of vehicles on End of the line conquest too and there were some freezes there as far as I remember. Simple overload?
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel