View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Playstation Staff
05 Mar 2015
By Envisager

Envisager

• Community Manager

[Bloodborne] Exclusive Interview with Jun Yoshino!

[ Edited ]
11 Replies 15,878 Views edited 16-03-2015
05 Mar 2015
By Envisager

Join us now and be the first to reveal the secrets of Yharnam >>here<<

After collecting your questions, we took some time and sat down with Jun Yoshino, the EU Producer of Bloodborne We had a good chat about the game and believe it or not, we are even more hyped than before ;)

Without further ado, here is what he had to say to the most popular questions from the community:

---

After ending the game, what will keep the player coming back in order to play Bloodborne again and again?

Besides the challenge which will bring players back, we also developed a brand new feature called the Chalice Dungeons. Throughout your playthrough you can collect chalices and various other materials. You can then perform rituals, which will create dungeons which are beneath the town of Yarnham. Those dungeons will always be different, depending on the type of Chalice you use. Once you made it, you can save and share it with other people. The replayability is there. We can’t wait to see what people do with it.

One of the things I've always enjoyed about FromSoftware's games are the areas that are most unfriendly to the player and really challenging, such as the Valley of Defilement from Demon's Souls. Are there any areas in Bloodborne that will be similar?

It’s difficult to keep it spoiler free (laughs). Different people experience different parts of the game in their own way and that’s what’s so good about it. But, I think, in terms of unfriendliness and difficulty that people enjoyed in the Souls games, it’s now a completely different dynamic in how you fight. The combat is a lot faster and doesn’t rely on defence as before. So it’s not a certain area within the game, it applies to everywhere. That’s one bit that people can expect to feel straight away.

How did you implement the cooperative mode in Bloodborne? Is it a classic, drop in drop out mode where none can lose its character progress or is it like the Demon/Dark Souls' one?

People will need to support each other at times, but what From Software always want to go for is that Players are able to come into your game seamlessly without any warning. Players have to figure out what their motives are. Are they there for PVP or for coop? After you fulfil a certain criteria, you can actively open up your game. We wanted to avoid situations where players get so frustrated, they’ll stop playing. Coop is really important, but not offering it in a traditional sense and rather keep it a little unknown.

Using a shield seems to be a strategy that is out of the equation in Bloodborne. Considering this is a vital piece for many play styles in the Souls series how much can this affect the defensive style regarding its gameplay?

I would be lying, when I would say there are no shields, but even if there are, they might be crap (laughs). As for the standard setup, you have a melee weapon in your main hand and a gun in your offhand and that’s the key difference now. I think some of the more experienced players will figure out straight away that the gun is like a weapon you can parry with. The fire of the gun is like a parry. It’s not the main weapon; you don’t have many bullets, so you have to use it wisely and sparingly. In terms of play style there is a lot to explore.

Regarding game design, how free will the player be to explore different areas in the game? Can we go straight to a bigger challenge or will the game push us to one direction at a time?

It’s quite interesting. It’s like a hybrid of Demon and Dark Souls. FromSoftware decided to mix those two together. I think it works out really nicely. You still have this kind of refuge, this central area you can always retreat back to. But the game world itself is more like Dark Souls, because in Bloodborne it’s all linked together as well. Once you venture out, you can effectively go anywhere you want.

In a time where Video Games are made more and more easy to play, what pushes you to create games with a raised up challenge?

I can’t answer it for myself, but I think what Miyazaki-san and From Software do, they basically just make a game that they think is fun. And I mean that in a good way (laughs). That is their scale they measure their games against. They are not dictated by the market and still deliver really high quality games. I am really glad that they kind of proven to everybody that these types of games could be successful as well. It’s not their goal to make the game hard, it just turns out this way, when they intend to make it super-fun.

Bloodborne is a PS4 Exclusive. Why this partnership? What does it bring to the game?

They already had the partnership with the Demon Souls, so they continued with the Bloodborne exclusivity. The graphical capability is much higher and the development a lot easier now. Also, the new features of PS4 will help with the game in terms of sharing, etc. Miyazaki-San really loves the imaginary of H.P. Lovecraft Novels and Dracula and the PS4 is great to put those specific details in the game. People can expect a real high level of detail in Bloodborne.

What is your favourite monster/enemy/boss in Yharnam?

Wow, oh god! I don’t even know what to say (laughs) Miyazaki-San loves those gothic stories, so there are many twisted things in the game. But, in terms of my personal favourite, I like the Dark Beast, but there are other ones that are really cool. I like those that don’t seem very difficult at first, but turn out very dangerous. I prefer the ones that are not humanoid. Like the ones that look like animals. They are scarier. For example, the crows that are crawling on the ground and making horrible noises. Some of the bosses will be memorable for many people!

What can Bloodborne be compared to, apart from the Souls games?

As said before, the game is inspired by novels and movies, like Dracula and Van Helsing. Miyazaki prefers the novels rather than the movies as he likes to make up his own vision. I used to work for Platinum games, In terms of combat and timing in combat there are some similarities to titles like Bayonetta. Players have to go into battle prepared but also need to be able to make quick decisions.

If someone hasn't finished a Souls game, do you think it's possible to complete Bloodborne?

Yes, it’s possible. It has the co-op. Some people might consider it as cheating, but it’s mostly to help each other. It’s important to know how to play, but this doesn’t mean that only hard-core gamers can play the game.

I’d love to see a LBP player doing a Twitch on Bloodborne. That would be really interesting. I’d like to see more casual players to play the game, especially together with a hard-core gamer. It’ll be amazing!

I have always liked to explore and learn about different locations in the games created by FromSoftware. Can we have a slight glimpse of hope that Bloodborne will continue in different cities, in addition to Yharnam?

It’s the entire city of Yharnam and it’s huge. We might see forests, cold areas, etc. So, they will experience different environments rather than other cities. So, Yharnam can be defined as a world itself in a way.

Bonus Question: Is the traveller modelled on Van Helsing, and is the game influenced by the film? And will Kate Beckinsale make an appearance as Anna Valerious?

Van Helsing is definitely one of the influences of the game. In terms of Kate Beckinsale, I don’t know. I’d love it, but I guess she will be a bit pricey…

---

Did Jun answer your question?

Tell us, what makes you want to play the game?

For us, nothing is missing from Bloodborne. You're going to feel the fear to the bone and fight some unforgettable bosses. If you want to explore the world of Yhanam, then secure your seat by pre-ordering Bloodborne today!

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DaytimeDreamer

94%
04 Rank
Progress
DaytimeDreamer
Accepted Solution

I can see my question was chosen for the Interview (After ending the game, what will keep the player coming back in order to play Bloodborne again and again?) Very nice!

So hyped for this game. Can't wait until the 25th!

Απ: [Bloodborne] Exclusive Interview with Jun Yoshino!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Supernova79

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Supernova79
Accepted Solution

First game in ages that I'm genuinely excited for. The only problem I have with Souls games is that every other game I play afterwards will always feel a bit rubbish in comparison making it hard to enjoy anything else for a good while :Lol:

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

swinster08

39%
02 Rank
Progress
swinster08
Accepted Solution

@Supernova79 

This is extremely common in the Souls community, if I were to make a slightly educated guess, it'd be because of the lack of challenge in nearly all modern Triple A Titles, I personally find it extremely difficult to become immersed in a game that is easy, difficulty draws you in to the experience and makes you care more about what you are doing, causing you to concentrate and really get in to it IMO.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

halicarnassis

27%
02 Rank
Progress
halicarnassis
Accepted Solution

The Souls games are the only ones I have bothered finishing numerous times and worked hard for the platinum trophy. I'm really tryingn to keep the hype train in the station. I know its gonna be awesome, but if i think on it time will just crawl slowly by till its release date. Immersing myself in some Souls PVP in the meantime... 

0 Kudos

Re: [Bloodborne] Exclusive Interview with Jun Yoshino!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

JynXten

• Beta Tester
95%
09 Rank
Progress
JynXten
Accepted Solution
I see he more or less stuck to answering questions which have answers we already know. None of the more specific questions were answered.
Well played.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

halicarnassis

27%
02 Rank
Progress
halicarnassis
Accepted Solution

Actually I do have a question: Can you offer some insight into the day/night cycles if such exist and will the night cycle act as pure black tendancy from Demon Souls whereby when you are out venturing during night the monsters are more difficult and aggresive than in the day, better drops or rewards, higher chances of invasion... all the good stuff us masochists really look forward to!  

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

baldyhead

38%
02 Rank
Progress
baldyhead
Accepted Solution

Is there going to be many Weapons in the game. According to Edge they have only found 6 weapons in the 40 hrs they've played. And no end near.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

JynXten

• Beta Tester
95%
09 Rank
Progress
JynXten
Accepted Solution

baldyhead wrote:

Is there going to be many Weapons in the game. According to Edge they have only found 6 weapons in the 40 hrs they've played. And no end near.

Only six! Well we know of eight right-hand weapons. The kirkhammer, saw blade, rifle, cane whip, twin daggers, axe, scythe and flamethrower.

Dark Souls had over 120 though.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

European_Gamer

• Award Winner
98%
08 Rank
Progress
European_Gamer
Accepted Solution

Here is Jun at the "gone gold" party.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

wsswaas

23%
02 Rank
Progress
wsswaas
Accepted Solution

is it like dark souls only killing monstors and no story or purpose? I am going to get it just becauseit's an exluclusive  

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dieselakita

73%
05 Rank
Progress
dieselakita
Accepted Solution

I for one hope it feels like a souls game if thats what gamers feel like it is then thats high praise in my eyes 

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel