84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Console sales charts

74 Replies 1,545 Views Created 26-12-2009

I was just checking out some gaming sites and I've often viewed http://www.vgchartz.com/ for some of their news articles - one thing I noticed today there is the PS3 has closed the gap on the xbox 360 by a few million in the last month or two.

Last time I looked there were about 7.2 million between them, and today they are showing the gap as 5.7 million consoles (35.8 vs 30.1) - I think a fair bit of this can be attributed to FF XIII as there are now nearly 4.5 million ps3's in japan!

I also think it's the first time ever that the combined Xbox and PS totals have shot past the Wii (now 3.2 million behind). Seems like it has been a failry good year all round for all the consoles, considering the economic environment and the number of publishers who have pushed back projects or closed up for good.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

tjohn323

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tjohn323
Accepted Solution

Oh yeah kudos for that :),

forgot about Natal..

I stand by my no new consoles till late 2011

at the earliest..... but likely 2012 (maybe later)

@ GTR. before the Wii the last 2 Ninty consoles

where not what they hoped, because they clung to those brands.

To be honest they have done the same thing with the Wii,

its just people say ZOMG you can wave the controller around.

If they try and do the same thing with a Wii 2.

the only people who will buy it will be Ninty fanboys.

who I find to be the most annoying out of PS/Xbox

fanboys.

0 Kudos

Re: Console sales charts

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Gunslinger_75

• Beta Tester
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Gunslinger_75
Accepted Solution

IPityDaFoolYo wrote:
theres no new xbox coming this year. project natal is coming though, and theyre treating that like a new console launch

I agree with you on that one.  I think it'll be 2011 at the absolute earliest, and more likely 2012, before we see a next-gen console from anybody.  Although Nintendo may decide to join the current generation in 2010 :P

I really don't sense any great desire for a new console from either gamers or developers.  I don't think we've seen the best of either the PS3 or the 360 yet, and it'll probably be the next 1-2 years that we do finally see them really stretch their legs. I do think the quality of multiplatform titles will probably plateau, but the exclusives are what really push any piece of hardware and there's still more to be had there.

So if most gamers don't seem to be in a rush to upgrade, developers are still getting more out of the current hardware, platform holders are happy making money on their existing platforms and publishers never like the arrival of new consoles due to the costs of the transition, there doesn't seem to be much of a case for the arrival of a new generation of consoles for a couple of years yet.

0 Kudos

/16

PllayStation

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PllayStation
Accepted Solution

IPityDaFoolYo wrote:
theres no new xbox coming this year.

Of course not, with less than 24 hours to go till 2010, it's improbable. I surely hope not, anyway.

0 Kudos

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/user/2120-sony/
/16

IPityDaFoolYo

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
IPityDaFoolYo
Accepted Solution
hahah good call. no new console in 2010 either :). well apart from OnLive, which looks awesome, although it wont be very good with australias internet speeds.

i think we'll see the new ones, or at least the new xbox, in 2012. if theres to be a new PS3, it has to be released within 6 months or sony will be pulling out of the console business.
0 Kudos

/16

GTR34mh

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GTR34mh
Accepted Solution

IPityDaFoolYo wrote:
hahah good call. no new console in 2010 either :). well apart from OnLive, which looks awesome, although it wont be very good with australias internet speeds.

i think we'll see the new ones, or at least the new xbox, in 2012. if theres to be a new PS3, it has to be released within 6 months or sony will be pulling out of the console business.

Or, they could wait a few years. There will still be multiplats. A new Xbox won't have great games overnight. After a couple of years, Sony then comes along and releases a new console, of which it takes advantage of newer and better technology. The multiplats will then already be at a high standard for the Xbox, and assuming that the devs aren't nutjobs, they'll easily be able to take advantage of a more capable PS3 and the multiplats will be up to par very quickly.

The PS3 is set up to last longer than the 360, which will allow it to have a stronger console than the Xbox counterpart. Will also go down well with the PS3 owners, as they have a console that they still don't need to upgrade as soon.

In other words, the generations of consoles are likely to become awkwardly scattered, with them alternating between having the best tech.

0 Kudos

BTG forums
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

Let say we hypothetically got a new console 'soon'... I see most of the early titles being next gen coats of paint of games with simultaneous release on 360 and PS3.... just like when the 360 was the new kid in town, and the PS2 and xbox were competing.. Many of the early games were the likes of Burnout Revenge and Need For Speed Most Wanted.

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
/16

tjohn323

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tjohn323
Accepted Solution

The best early titles on the 360 were PC ports.

I actually wonder if Sony had another 12 months on MS again if

they would actually release something substancially better.

Or merely just match it .

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Gunslinger_75

• Beta Tester
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Gunslinger_75
Accepted Solution

tjohn323 wrote:

The best early titles on the 360 were PC ports.

I actually wonder if Sony had another 12 months on MS again if

they would actually release something substancially better.

Or merely just match it .

Bear in mind that the main reason the PS3 was delayed by 12 months was due to delays with getting BluRay ready.  The actual gaming side of things (graphics, CPU, etc) were pretty much already nailed down by then.  Assuming everybody goes with BluRay as their media next time, there shouldn't be any reason for the delay and barring any other hardware development issues I reckon we'll see them launching pretty much simultaneously.  Probably in 2012.

0 Kudos

/16

Deevo

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Deevo
Accepted Solution
It was 4 years between the xbox (Nov 2001) and the xbox 360 (Nov 2005).

If there is no new Xbox by Nov 2010 that would mean they have passed 5 years with the current console. The speculation of a 2012 release of a new MS console would mean 7 years on the current hardware.

Given the Microsoft strategy of discontinuing previous consoles when releasing a new one, and Sony's strategy of maintaining previous tech for around 3 years into the life of the next console (and assuming the touted 10 year life span of the PS3), I wouldn't be surprised to see the next generation releases from both companies arrive at the same time.
0 Kudos

/16

tjohn323

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tjohn323
Accepted Solution

IPityDaFoolYo wrote:
far out 360s are getting cheap - $199 for an arcade from like kmart atm! any serious video game fan who doesnt have one really has no excuse now. for the price of 2 games you can open up a huge back catalogue of awesome exclusives, better multiplatform games, and all the upcoming exclusives.

Its probably a christmas or stock clearance promotion .

I agree its a great deal but the RRP is still $299 for an arcade.

And I guess the excuse could be ...well I could just buy another 2 games :D

0 Kudos

/16

Harlequiine

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Harlequiine
Accepted Solution
I still think the Xbox 360 will beat the PS3 this generation, but the Wii will always win. Honestly there's no difference between the two consoles, that's why I don't get why people whinge so much over which is better. The real winners are the people who own both :P No more exclusives.
0 Kudos

/16

tjohn323

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tjohn323
Accepted Solution

Hmm I dont actually, the PS3 will catch up (its been slowly happening)

I think the Wii does have it in the bag.

However I believe they may run into lots of trouble next gen.

They cant do a Wii 2 ...as in casual gamers wont pay more

for another Wii.

They either need to come up with another fad or join the big

boys and make actual proper games. :D.

But I do agree the gamers are the winners.

I dont think you need to own both consoles to be honest

as most games come out on both. But its by no means a bad thing

Ive been a 2 console (I dont count my Wii) owner since

the PS3 launched (as I had a 360 already).

I think its a maturity thing in some ways

growing up I was a Sega fanboy ...that was a real war :D

0 Kudos

/16

GTR34mh

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GTR34mh
Accepted Solution

tjohn323 wrote:

However I believe they may run into lots of trouble next gen.

They cant do a Wii 2 ...as in casual gamers wont pay more

for another Wii.

They either need to come up with another fad or join the big

boys and make actual proper games. :D.

I don't see why not, considering that most of their games are just rehashed old games as it is. Haven't seen anything truly new from them in a long time. Just a lot of Mario, Pokemon and Zelda games..

0 Kudos

BTG forums
/16

patient-bear

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
patient-bear
Accepted Solution

Maybe there both waiting for each other? As soon as MS or Sony announce a new console the other will follow suit allmost instantly. Im still content with my PS3 and I dont really want to have to fork out another $1000 for a console any time soon.

Lets just hope Apple dont jump on the console bandwagon any time soon.

0 Kudos

Trying to remain active
/16

Harlequiine

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Harlequiine
Accepted Solution
I really doubt Apple will, but I hope they do. They usually have great hardware, plus it's yet another competitor which may finally make initial hardware and software prices drop. Although since Apple products are always expensive, it may be the opposite :Lol:

Plus more exclusives.. bleh. So it's a win/lose situation, I suppose.
0 Kudos

/16

tjohn323

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tjohn323
Accepted Solution

Cant see apple jumping in at all.

If they did they'd probably price the console at some

ridiculous price.

The other thing Im guessing is apple would

try to get/force devs to use their hardware.

Which would not go down well, considering

3d applications run like crap in osx.

0 Kudos

/16

dessy

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dessy
Accepted Solution

Does anyone know if the Poo (Wii Number 2) will be able to play DVDs ? Or will it rehash VHS ?

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16
90%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rcoll_rorscharch
Accepted Solution

I very much doubt Apple will jump in, because Apple have never been ones for fitting in with everyone else, plus they're self-sustaining and independent. Apple likes exclusive programs, exclusive games, exclusive tech, exclusive developers making it all. They're the ones setting the trend and the agenda, so I doubt they'll try and fit in to the console market. Multiplatforms are just as important to a console as its exclusives, they have to be able to allow third-party developers to put Madden or Call of Duty or Burnout on an Apple machine like everyone else. There's also the fact too that any Apple machine will be the most expensive, and given how the PS3 did before the price drop it's clear to see the most expensive console isn't what everybody wants.

I think everyone should have a read through the IGN Aus article on why they don't want the next-gen yet http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1050039p1.html it's so true. This is basically the first generation ever where just about anything is possible... be it from crisp animations to multiple NPC's performing different actions on-screen at the same time, developers with high production costs don't seem to be as limited as they were with the last-gen hardware, and it's helped through firmware updates and developer tools.

There was something else too that was present before the 360 came out that isn't here now - the general consensus that it's time to move on. Developers like Polyphony came out and said Gran Turismo 4 was about as good as it was going to get, graphical improvements on old consoles were getting marginal all the time, and people were seeing things in other areas of technology that could theoretically work with games i.e. High Definition, wireless, better internet access, compatibility with USB and Portable devices, compatibility with computers and internet browsers, HDD's and the list goes on. This gave momentum for the next-generation, and now that it's here people aren't exactly sure what's to come next.

Aside from graphical power, the real limitation this gen as far as I can see is not being able to run heavy-action games in 1080p, and that's down to processing power. Being able to run something like Modern Warfare 2 or Uncharted 2 in 1080p native resolution would be the next step up graphically, but unless you're playing games on a 1080p TV and you're a picture connoiseur you'd have a hard time noticing.

I don't think Sony and Microsoft need worry about people getting bored of this generation before 2012, especially with motion controls and 3D gaming keeping people occupied. As long as games continue to evolve at a high level, both companies may as well get the most bang for their buck that they can.

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

tjohn323

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tjohn323
Accepted Solution

I read that article earlier and you're right its a very good read.

CPU's in consoles now are fantastic.

only thing they really need is abit more memory

and a better GPU (still its pretty decent)

EDIT

ROFL at the "Poo"...knowing Ninty probably not

again the Wii is sooooooo overpriced.

all it can do is play games....I mean for petes sake

consoles in the 1980's could just play games.

In that respect the Wii is a dinosaur of a console.

The SegaCD is actually more advanced than the WII :D:D

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

vtwin650

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
vtwin650
Accepted Solution

Was just reading this, http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/01/xbox-360-39-million-consoles-sold-only-half-are-on-xbox-live/ (copy below) , MS claim 39 million sold, but that would be shipped surely, seeing even VGchartz show 36.5 million - 2.5 million is a fair bit to be out by so I suspect it is units shipped to retail, not actually sold into consumers hands.

I lol'd at the first reply " Theres an obvious answer for this. 40 million sold because 20 million red ringed. " - read the story first before commenting tho.

To go with their big address at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier today, Microsoft released some statistics on Xbox Live and the Xbox 360’s install base.

To date, around 39 million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold worldwide, while there are 20 million people on Xbox Live (no disclosure was made on how many are Gold subscribers). Odd, you would have thought the ratio on that would be much higher considering Xbox Live is one of the console’s main drawcards.

As for those Xbox Live users, 10 million have used non-gaming applications like Twitter, Facebook and Netflix. Only half? Again, would have expected it to be a little higher.

Rounding out the numbers was news that 500 million Xbox 360 games have been sold since the console’s launch. That’s nearly 13 per console. Not bad.

also my emphasis on '20 million people on xbox live' , that's right, not 20 million consoles, people. I don't own one so I don't know, but isn't it entirely possible you could have multiple 'people' on one console, ie more than one XBL account?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

IPityDaFoolYo

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
IPityDaFoolYo
Accepted Solution
VGChartz are by their own admission just taking guesstimates.

If Microsoft say theyve sold 39 million consoles, we have to assume theyve sold 39 million consoles. its the same as sony saying they sold 3.8 million over december - theyre no more 'trustworthy' than microsoft to give figures for actual sold consoles instead of consoles shipped, so you take it for what it is - PR speak, but more official of a 'consoles sold' number than any other source.

yes you can have more than one XBL account per console, but whats that got to do with anything? its still a person on Live.....

just be glad Microsoft dont spout off stupid things like sonys 'we have 33 million users on PSN' when i doubt that even 10% of regular users on here have less than 2 accounts, and theyre all included in that 33 million. last time i counted i had made about 18 PSN accounts, and every single one of them was counted by sony.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel