kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Rock Band Thread (now that the game is FINALLY here)

596 Replies 3,613 Views Created 26-10-2008

Anybody playing this yet? ... no-one has mentioned it at all ...

I'd have bought it on Day 1 except for a few things...

1. The 360 didn't get back until after the Day 1 release, so I didn't want to buy it until I had a console back

2. I'm playing Dead Space.. and will probably do at least two runs through before I break my gameplay with another game... and I suppose I'm financially spreading my purchases till at least next payday..

3. I want to finish the rest of the bonus songs on GH2 before I start RB...

0 Kudos
LABELS:
Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

AgentSimo

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AgentSimo
Accepted Solution

Totally forgot about this game....

i might just grab the game by itself and use my GH guitar for now.... considering the GHWT review was pretty crappy....

0 Kudos

Re: Rock Band Thread (now that the game is FINALLY here)

/16

TehPotentialz

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPotentialz
Accepted Solution
is it out in Aus?!
0 Kudos

/16

silverskull_86

93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
silverskull_86
Accepted Solution
I haven't seen it anywhere yet, but from memory our release date for it is a week before Guitar Hero: World Tour.
0 Kudos

/16

OZNinja

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
OZNinja
Accepted Solution
Rock Band comes out at $99.95 (EB)+ $220 Instruments on the 7.11 a week before GHWT, I am thinking of getting the rock band disc with the GHWT instruments. Any thoughts on if I imported rock band 2 would I get the songs off a local rock band 1 disk? 
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Mulletino

• Beta Tester
94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mulletino
Accepted Solution

I don't think the instruments are cross-compatible. 

Had Rock Band been released earlier I would have bought it on release day (I even have the money put aside for it). But the whole delay fiasco has somewhat changed my opinion. Why should I buy RB when RB2 is already out in other regions? This moved me to looking at GH:WT but the song list just doesn't do it for me which then also made me realise that if I bought the thing I'd have nowhere to store the drums/guitars etc!

Oh well, more time to spend on LBP (when it's available again).

Message Edited by Mulletino on 28-10-2008 12:31 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Online PS gaming since 2003 - http://www.oaps.org
/16

TehPotentialz

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPotentialz
Accepted Solution

Mulletino wrote:

I don't think the instruments are cross-compatible. 

if theyre not currently they will be - both microsoft and sony have said that they will be made to be compatible.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

The biggest compatibility issue has always been (on both consoles and all games) using Rock Band guitars on Guitar Hero games... and as far as I know there has been no confirmation it will work on WT either... otherwise IIRC from a link I posted here weeks ago, everything pretty much works...

The developers for both have said that Rock Band 2 and World Tour instruments will all be completely compatible... but I don't believe there has been confirmation towards Rock Band 1 instruments...

If there are too many repeats of that review posted on WT I think I will be sticking with Harmonix... shame the instruments they use are supposedly *****e though.... Hmm, GH instruments on RB I think.....

0 Kudos

/16

TehPotentialz

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPotentialz
Accepted Solution

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/18/ps3-music-peripheral-compatibility-update/

Hi everybody, Michael Shorrock, here. I’m the Director of Publisher Relations here at SCEA. I work closely with all of the publishers and developers who create games for all PlayStation platforms. While SCEA had a ton of great announcements at E3, I’m excited to say, we have one more for today, one that I know a lot of you have been asking about:

For the past several months, we have been working closely with Neversoft and Activision, Harmonix and Konami to ensure that PlayStation 3 guitars and drum sets will all feature a basic level of gameplay compatibility.

For the most part, this means that the titles with musical peripherals will work with the other’s software. A few specific examples include: Guitar Hero: World Tour’s guitars and drums will work with Rock Band 2 and Konami’s Rock Revolution software.

And yes, you guessed it, Rock Band 2’s guitar and drum set will work with Guitar Hero: World Tour and with Rock Revolution.

Conversely, Rock Revolution’s drum set will work with both Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band 2.

In addition, Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band 2 will both support the SingStar microphones.

We’re still working hard to ensure compatibility between the Guitar Hero and Rock Band titles currently on the market, and we hope to have an announcement on that shortly.

Of course each of these great games have their own specific cool features that may not be compatible with the other controllers, but this is our first big step in bringing a level of compatibility to music games that is sure to benefit PlayStation 3 consumers.

Keep an eye out here for more information in the future.

0 Kudos

/16

AgentSimo

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AgentSimo
Accepted Solution
and i assume the 360 will be the same??
0 Kudos

/16

TehPotentialz

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPotentialz
Accepted Solution
yep, microsoft said the same thing :). and microsoft had a head start too since they already had some cross compatibility.
Message Edited by TehPotentialz on 28-10-2008 03:39 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Windslot

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Windslot
Accepted Solution

Well this article would suggest there are some compatibility issues at the moment - http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/27/ghwt-instruments-dont-work-with-rock-band/

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

Against all advice from my bank statements :P, I bought the disc of Rock Band today... :)

So that'll give me something to do GH/RB wise until I make my mind up on WT... who knows, we may even get more news on RB2 downunder... (doubt it though..)

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

Thoughts on the game so far... having finished medium on guitar.... as medium is the mode I'm most comfortable with on GH2 and 3 (although at the time of the 360 RRODing I had made my way half way through GH2 Hard)

Overall I'm pleased with the game so far... certainly happier than I was with GH3... and I have only scratched the surface, as I have no other instruments for either solo or co-op. I would rate the guitar play as easier overall than both GH2 and 3... there were no note charts to majorly unsettle me... The main reason I didn't 5 star maybe 10 songs on the attempts to date would be more attributed to the note window timing, than the difficulty of the charts... which brings me to:

Note timing... I would say the window is possibly stricter than GH2, and certainly stricter than GH3.... combined with the rectangular shape it is a little unsettling at first, particularly trying to hit HO/POs and fast single strum sections.. but overall the charts seem a bit easier... certainly nothing on the on disc content to match Raining Blood or Psychobily Freakout... Overall though, the songs are for me personally more fun to play than GH3 was.

Changes I do like - you can now collect star power while using it... the solo feature is kinda cool, although without a stratocastor I can't play them as the game intends by tapping the solo buttons... rather I have to strum them as normal..... The big finish feature on some of the songs: basically you get a window where you can just air guitar to your hearts content, and as long as you hit the notes that follow the end of that sequence you get an extra score... should be fun on drums as well... I also like the graphic polish the game has when you are playing, activating star power (or energy as RB calls it)... oh and the quality of the audio to me seems far better... the mrs came home when I was first playing and thought I had bought a new CD ;)

Its not all butterflies and daisies though... there seems to be something lacking from the game which the GH games had... and it doesn't seem to have the depth as a guitar only game that the earlier games did... It might seem nitpicky, but I miss the song breakdowns at the end of the song that show you where you went right or wrong... I miss achievements for reaching certain scores and reaching certain note streaks.. and one thing I do miss from GH3 was it showed your streak each time it increased by 50 notes onscreen... Once you've 5 starred a song there doesn't seem to be the incentive to improve your scores that GH had.. other than for the enjoyment of it...

Which seems to sum the game up really... play RB for fun... play GH3 if you like long intricate songs like TTFAF and TDWDG.... As far as the big daddy song of this game goes - Green Grass and High Tides, it is a long song, but there is nothing on medium as difficult as the solos in Freebird, or the intro of TTFAF....

0 Kudos

/16

marknrg

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
marknrg
Accepted Solution

kiwiatlarge wrote:

Against all advice from my bank statements :P, I bought the disc of Rock Band today... :)

So that'll give me something to do GH/RB wise until I make my mind up on WT... who knows, we may even get more news on RB2 downunder... (doubt it though..)

So are you playing rockband with the GH3 guitar?
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution
GH2 controller... the Xplorer... I don't have a Les Paul as I bought GH3 with just the disc....
0 Kudos

/16

marknrg

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
marknrg
Accepted Solution

kiwiatlarge wrote:
GH2 controller... the Xplorer... I don't have a Les Paul as I bought GH3 with just the disc....

So theoretically it should work with GH3 controller... just been trawling the forums and some people say it will and others say it won't (well not yet anyway) - just trying to get a definite answer
0 Kudos

/16

TehPotentialz

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPotentialz
Accepted Solution
the GH3 controller has enough trouble working with GH3 :laugh:
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

marknrg wrote:

kiwiatlarge wrote:

So theoretically it should work with GH3 controller... just been trawling the forums and some people say it will and others say it won't (well not yet anyway) - just trying to get a definite answer

On the 360 the Les Paul and Xplorer will both work with Rock Band... However the RB Stratocastor will not work with Guitar Hero...

On the PS3 the compatibility originally in america was different... the Les Paul would not work with Rock Band... hence why there was a major stink not only at the lack of compatibility, but the yanks had no other way of playing co-op in Rock Band, other than having a mate with a second copy of the game (and hello, out of all the games to date, RB is the one most targetted at co-op) because the stratocastor controllers weren't even available for sale in the states!.... We however can buy the strat seperately...

However, apparantly a patch is available for the PS3 version which allows the Les Paul to work on Rock Band... I can't personally confirm 100% that it works by means of any links or anything...

0 Kudos

/16

marknrg

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
marknrg
Accepted Solution

kiwiatlarge wrote:

On the 360 the Les Paul and Xplorer will both work with Rock Band... However the RB Stratocastor will not work with Guitar Hero...

On the PS3 the compatibility originally in america was different... the Les Paul would not work with Rock Band... hence why there was a major stink not only at the lack of compatibility, but the yanks had no other way of playing co-op in Rock Band, other than having a mate with a second copy of the game (and hello, out of all the games to date, RB is the one most targetted at co-op) because the stratocastor controllers weren't even available for sale in the states!.... We however can buy the strat seperately...

However, apparantly a patch is available for the PS3 version which allows the Les Paul to work on Rock Band... I can't personally confirm 100% that it works by means of any links or anything...

cheers, im using ps3 so i reckon i'll wait until i get a 100% confirmation it's going to work....

0 Kudos

/16

janmicko

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
janmicko
Accepted Solution

Well I did the complete 360 degree turnaround. Up until now I had GHWT pre ordered, after humming and hurring for the last 6 hrs I decided to pre order Rockband Bundle. Originally I had got it at $280.00 GHWT and Rockband is selling at BIG W $217.00, so that is a saving already . Then I pondered for around 1 hr have I done the right thing. I now believe I have after reading, viewing painless hrs on which one I should go for. And I must say there is a ***** load on content all ready on the PSN + alot of people are having problems with GHWT Drums.

Anyhow thats my little story.

Cheers (Hope to see you online playing Rockband add my PSN if you want: janmicko

Message Edited by janmicko on 04-11-2008 06:50 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel