Call of Duty

12 Feb 2012
By: fi8767 Beta Tester 9001 Posts
Level 13
Accepted Solution

Lag compensation

18 Replies 918 Views Created 12-02-2012

Oh, hello again everyone, its been a while :smileyhappy:

Not really updated on much COD news atm as im off playing other games so forgive me if this is a really obvious question but:

Has the MW3 lag compensation issue improved at all or been fixed for those on fast connections?

Was thinking of buying the game but i have a fast connection and don't want to be lagging around everywhere :smileytongue:

Thanks guys

Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 19 (918 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: Lag compensation

Welcome back how goes Battlefield??

Generallly it has improved a little , but i honestly can't say it's a non issue , it's still there and it still bites you in the ass.

Any time i'm host ( which has been a lot of late ) , i adjust my game to try and compensate for the compensation if you follow my drift.

If it gets real bad then i usually finish the match then leave  head off and kick cans about the street!!

I wouldn't say it's a game breaker and wouldn't let it put you off buying it , this time round i'd say it's closer to what we loved from other installments , has been compared to MW2 but that's way off the mark it's far far better than that , also they seem pretty quick to fix glitches and such so i haven't seen any of that since the first week , community playlists is also a good addition.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 19 (896 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

jontonathon wrote:

Welcome back how goes Battlefield??

Generallly it has improved a little , but i honestly can't say it's a non issue , it's still there and it still bites you in the ass.

Any time i'm host ( which has been a lot of late ) , i adjust my game to try and compensate for the compensation if you follow my drift.

If it gets real bad then i usually finish the match then leave  head off and kick cans about the street!!

I wouldn't say it's a game breaker and wouldn't let it put you off buying it , this time round i'd say it's closer to what we loved from other installments , has been compared to MW2 but that's way off the mark it's far far better than that , also they seem pretty quick to fix glitches and such so i haven't seen any of that since the first week , community playlists is also a good addition.

I'm afraid I disagree here, I have 50mb download and 6/7 upload and lag compensation is a game breaker for me. Improvements have been minor regarding lag compensation. May be worth a rental before purchase to draw your own conclusions?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 19 (871 Views)
Level 6

I'm on the 30mg download and about 3/4 upload so i feel your pain , what i was getting at was that it's not always unplayable as host , and as stated if it is then i move on to another lobby.

Whether it's down to individual set up i don't know , i'm assuming your with virgin??

If so then i have to say i've been none to impressed with virgin since i moved to them , doesn't seem to like psn to much and as for tech support well that will cost you for console help ( wanted to charge me 60 bills to help with sign in probs!!!!??? Dafties ) i'm not sure how to get the best out of there hardware but i think i'll ask them to switch off interleaving to see if that helps??

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 19 (866 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Yeah I'm with Virgin, I assigned a static IP address for my PS3 and put it in DMZ and have had no problems and get great speeds, you might have a different router to me though?

Can't say I know what interleaving is?!

I don't like MW3 as a whole so guess I can't be bothered to jump lobbies etc, I'm back on Black Ops when I play CoD, and one good thing from the lag comp on MW3 makes the hit detection seem so much better on Black Ops!!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 19 (848 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Emm i've got the black shiny one......super hub or something??

Mine is still basically as it came out the box , had a brief look at the settings when i first got it but decided it was going to take about 4 cups of coffee to figure it out.

The interleaving thing is how it measures latencey ( lag ) , all i do know is that it is not ideally suited for online gaming and when i had trouble with bt in the past switching this off was a godsend , made mw2 playable ( well as best as you could manage on that ) , so i'm thinking that it might have an effect on this lag comp business also??

That's if virgin use it , haven't checked but pretty sure they do.

I know what you mean about blops , that really ripped my knitting the hit detection on that , maybe one day we'll get something out the box that works!!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 19 (839 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

I'm with Virgin as well and never heard of this on their connections. I thought it was just something to do with ADSL 2.

Bit of advice if you keep getting picked as host and it does work. Turn off UPnP on both your router and PS3, take the console out of DMZ and don't forward any ports. This should give you a moderate NAT and you won't host.

I had been trying for weeks to do this on the superhub but the game always gave me an open NAT. Tonight the host lag was horrendous so thought I would give it another go and for some strange reason it worked. I ended up on a moderate NAT and didn't host all night.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Recent observations conclude that in this day and age common sense is a super power!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 19 (827 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Black ops has Lag compensation too :smileywink: all CODs do and online games.
It what caused the framerate issues

It was poorly done and tried to do what MW3 does without adding the host into the mix. Which is why being host can be quite bad.

MW3 Lag compensation has improved but still can be pretty bad. I have quite a average connection and suffer from it quite badly at times. Some people no issues or don't see it. Mixed bag tbh
I seen loads of different types of connections get hurt from it. Part of the problem is down to matchmaking
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 19 (794 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Scrap what I said before. Logged on today and loaded the game up only to find it's put me back to open NAT and am now hosting! :Argh:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Recent observations conclude that in this day and age common sense is a super power!
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 19 (787 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Forgive my naiveté but i thought faster broadband would mean a better gaming session? I am just about to switch over to BT infinity as it's 33meg instead of the poorly 4meg that i get at the moment. Is it worth me changing as both myself and my son are always playing MW3?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 19 (768 Views)
0 Kudos