10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Little Known Facts : Black Ops Multiplayer

[ Edited ]
24 Replies 2,203 Views edited 27-10-2010

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/27/little-known-facts-call-of-duty-black-ops-multiplayer-for-...

Call of Duty: Black Ops for PS3

Multiplayer Online Split-Screen Support

Let’s get started with what I believe is the most unknown, yet confirmed, aspect to Call of Duty: Black Ops multiplayer – the online split-screen support we’ve re-introduced to the franchise!

The Facts:

• You can connect a second controller and bring a guest online (i.e. “JD_2020” & “JD_2020(1)”).
  • Guests can rank up, earn unlocks, etc – all guest progress goes away once signed out.
  • You can bring a second, full PSN account online!
  • Both players with full PSN ID’s can rank up while playing together in split-screen, as if on two separate consoles.

Custom Games Editor

Allow me to introduce the Black Ops Custom Games Editor! Private matches have never been this customizable. Players will have the ability to structure their games at all new levels of granularity. From variables as simple as Time Limit and Score Limit, or as deep as which weapons, Perks, and gear are available. You want a Pistols Only match? Make one! No longer do custom game modes rely on the “honor system.”

Furthermore, any Custom Game you create and configure can be placed in your File Share, for friends and the community to browse, download, and enjoy. You just might create the most addictive new game mode of all time from the comfort of your own living room!

Call of Duty: Black Ops for PS3Call of Duty: Black Ops for PS3

In-Game Friends List

We’ve integrated a built-in Friends List into the in game user interface. You’ll be able to browse Recent Players, Friends, navigate their File Shares, Recent Games, Combat Records – all within this in-game menu system designed to streamline the social process within the game. Sending game invites and joining Friends’ games has never been simpler than in Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Regional Matchmaking & Party Privacy

Call of Duty: Black Ops will support regional matchmaking filters on a global scale. So, no matter where you’re at in the world, you will have the ability to specify whether you want to match with players from other geographical regions, or only those local to you. This will make communication and lag a much less intrusive variable on your gameplay experience.

Additionally, given Black Ops will support joining games in progress via an even simpler built-in in-game Friends List interface, we’ll allow a Party leader to lock down his lobby to Invite Only, Friends Only, or even Close it altogether if he wants to be in complete control over who enters and exits the Party Lobby.

Call of Duty: Black Ops for PS3

Emblems Do NOT Reset with Prestige

This one is pretty cut-and-dried. A frequently asked question is, “Will my kickass emblem I spent hours perfecting be lost when I prestige?” The answer is “NO!” Emblems are one of the only aspects of Black Ops MP that do not get a full reset upon entering Prestige. Things that will reset when you Prestige are: XP, COD Points, Challenge progressions, Loadouts, and so forth.

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Elite-Hawk

99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Elite-Hawk
Accepted Solution
Just read it and was gonna post it here :D

AWESOMENESS OVERLOAD.

Custom game types?! FULL SPLIT-SCREEN?! REGIONAL CUSTOM SEARCH?!?!!?!??!!?
0 Kudos

Re: Little Known Facts : Black Ops Multiplayer

Beta Tester
/16

mattsimmo

• Beta Tester
95%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mattsimmo
Accepted Solution

the more I read the more excited I get about this game - sounds awesome.

just hope everything has been tested properly - don't want bug central when it's released :)

0 Kudos

/16

DANO25

93%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DANO25
Accepted Solution
Cool
0 Kudos

XBOX LIVE: AFistUpDBumhole PSN: DANO25 TWITTER: TheDano25

If you use Ghost and camp or No/Quickscope you're an IDIOT!!
Award Winner
/16

Moghal2007

• Award Winner
95%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Moghal2007
Accepted Solution
Looking forward to split screen multiplayer. Not sure i should prestige though due to losing challenges...
0 Kudos

/16

Clxmj

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Clxmj
Accepted Solution

yeah but like in MW2, if you prestiged just once you'd have the option to unlock like 30 emblems and titles (around about that).. I just wanna know if there's an option to NOT join matches in progress. This would be the best thing for the game (spesh with rage quitters on SnD).

EDITS: Scroll down to the 'FACTS'.. So uh.. Which is it, PS3 aswell or Xbox only?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Clxmj

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Clxmj
Accepted Solution

ff$.. Ignore that ^

As soon as i wanted to edit it, it wont let me.. On the US Blog it said.

• You can bring a 2nd, account online!
  • Both players with full online accounts can rank-up while playing split-screen, as if on two separate consoles.

I know cus i read it and there are comments to match, so they must of just took that statement down. Plus moriarty had a chance to copy it for further proof.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
MVP
/16

TheNarrator

• MVP
98%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheNarrator
Accepted Solution

on the COD site, it says logging in to a second account to play co-op is just for Live, not PSN, so id go with what they say xD. but having another player on at all is still cool. shame it resets, but still, better than nothing for sure :D cant wait.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
KZAM!
/16

Diddymow

92%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Diddymow
Accepted Solution
"You can bring a second, full PSN account online!"

I can see people doing this and then getting headshots in cage matches, hopefully they've already thought of that though and stopped you from doing it.
0 Kudos

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

/16

hydra25

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hydra25
Accepted Solution

Diddymow wrote:

I can see people doing this and then getting headshots in cage matches, hopefully they've already thought of that though and stopped you from doing it.

Yep they fixed it by not giving that function to PS3

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Yaster

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yaster
Accepted Solution

hydra25 wrote:

Diddymow wrote:

Is it not the case that to have a split screen partner in a game with you they need to be in your party.  And can you not have parties in cage matches?  In fact does Black Ops even have the Cage Match playlist?

Anyway on another note, I think it is great that a 3rd party developer is there on an official PlayStation channel talking about some issues some parts of the gaming media may find a little trivial, but are important to PS3 gamers.

The only thing he doesn't mention is whether or not the game supports custom soundtracks (something PS3 gamers always like to find out) or if you can sent an invite to a player not on your friends list by typing their name into an invite.  These are the things people want to know.

0 Kudos

yaster's Streambadge
MVP
/16

TheNarrator

• MVP
98%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheNarrator
Accepted Solution

Yaster wrote:

The only thing he doesn't mention is whether or not the game supports custom soundtracks (something PS3 gamers always like to find out) or if you can sent an invite to a player not on your friends list by typing their name into an invite.  These are the things people want to know.

looks like we'll have to wait and see what all the in-game friends list stuff is about. and whether theyve even kept any of the xmb inviting stuff in there at all?

hopefully you can do stuff like search in-game for any players to add to your COD friends list. says they have a 'recently played with' option anyway, maybe its all seperate? or maybe not lol.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
KZAM!
/16

mgsPSN

72%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mgsPSN
Accepted Solution
Why would people go for headshots, when u have to buy the camouflages?
0 Kudos

/16

Elite-Hawk

99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Elite-Hawk
Accepted Solution

Tbh i'm not THAT bothered about bringing a full PSN online, just like Diddymow said, don't wanna be messing up my KDR. I'm grateful for all we've got already.

Custom Soundtracks lol? I'd rather listen out for enemy footsteps and such. And thank god they've finally brought back in the in-game invite system, it was a pain in the ***** to wait for the laggy in-game XMB to load up. Wishing that we can invite multiple people at once (or if its like cod4 invite speed, thats fine)

Can't see boosting with split-screen, I mean, you can't get into 1v1 lobby in a party, the guest will be on your team, NOT the opposite side.

Bring on November the 9th!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

redrebel

• Beta Tester
97%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
redrebel
Accepted Solution

TheNarrator wrote:

Yaster wrote:

looks like we'll have to wait and see what all the in-game friends list stuff is about. and whether theyve even kept any of the xmb inviting stuff in there at all?

hopefully you can do stuff like search in-game for any players to add to your COD friends list. says they have a 'recently played with' option anyway, maybe its all seperate? or maybe not lol.

Ideally i'm hoping they've got something along the lines of the first resistance game. An in game friends list and players met list, seperate from the xmb

For a launch title it was a game that did so much right

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

stevewhu

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stevewhu
Accepted Solution
Split screen online zombie mode on one console will be some epic epic epic nights!!!!
can't wait.
0 Kudos

/16

dan_boro_07

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dan_boro_07
Accepted Solution

hydra25 wrote:

Diddymow wrote:

IF there was a cage match game mode (though they could do what they do in MW2 and boost in a FFA still?) and IF 2 people on the same console can play in it, there still would be a large amount of boosting. 

Player A would still be able to boost whilst player B looses absolutely nothing other than his / her time. 

I like this feature. It will be nice when used correctly. But what really annoys me. Why on earth do they not allow PS3 users to bring a second full PSN account online? I gather the 360 has this feature intact. 

That is, for me, very poor indeed. 

Why on earth as Player B would i want to throw away my time? I plan on using this feature, but now... what on earth is the point. I may as well ask my mate to go home and stick on his PS3. 

Another thing that is disappointing, just yesterday someone from Treyarch wrote on an official PS3 channel  that the second full PSN account feature was working. And now today, he or she has deleted the bullet points. Who ever the heck you are, dont you think the community deserve some form of reasoning that you are not doing your best to implement this on the PS3, but are willing on the 360?

0 Kudos

Please subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/user/SeedGamesTV
Search for "SEED Games" in facebook pages.
/16

curtis_mufc

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
curtis_mufc
Accepted Solution
Don't know about anyone else, but I'm glad they've added a regional option. It'll hopefully reduce the lag quite alot, and it shouldn't ever be short of players when you do change it to regional.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

stephenc87

• Beta Tester
98%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stephenc87
Accepted Solution
Will the regional connection make things better? Could I not still be put with people with poor connections here anyway?
0 Kudos

/16

R_07

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
R_07
Accepted Solution

stephenc87 wrote:
Will the regional connection make things better? Could I not still be put with people with poor connections here anyway?

Potentially, yes. However the majority of lag I've come across is when I've been playing outside of peak hours and have been placed among people from across the pond.

Most people have a standard of broadband which is feasible to sustain a game online nowadays, you don't really need much more than a 2MB broadband package to host a 6 vs 6 on 3 bars.

0 Kudos

/16

sp33dking89

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sp33dking89
Accepted Solution
hate regonial connection! I would preffered if you got an option for weather you regional or world wide!
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel