Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Ye Olde MGS Pub

[ Edited ]

I was actually really interested in Resonance of Fate until the reviews rolled in and said the story was fairly generic. The combat system looked pretty good, but for me to actually spend all that time playing an RPG, the characters/story have to be good.

That's pretty much why I say there hasn't been a good one since Persona 4, because none of the other recent RPGs have had stories which could be turned into an anime/film (recently happened to Persona 4) and still stand up.

Did hear good things about Xenoblade, but the idea of having to sink 80+ hours into a game these days is a major turn off personally. I am looking forward to Last Story though, Lost Odyssey was decent enough and FF IX was the last Final Fantasy I liked; so I'm hopeful that Sakaguchi can still produce.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43801 of 45,064 (263 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I don't neccessarily think the problem is that there aren't any good JRPGs anymore, I just think from my own perspective atleast they've ultimately changed very little throughout the years, in general. I mean, sure, they each have their own little quirks in the battle systems or leveling up or their own great wee minigames but these are just individual quirks

Now it all depends what's realy classed as JRPG because Demon/Dark Souls and the Yakuza games have been some of my favourites in recent years and technically I'd say both are JRPG. On top of that I reckon I'll realy like Dragons Dogma when I eventually get mt hands on a rented copy and I know that it's trying to be western, but still. 

I think Dragonquest VIII is perhaps finest example of what I consider to be a true JRPG though and I think it's truly fantastic and I wish I was an immortal so that I could justify spending the time to playthrough it all again but therein lies the problem. JRPGs were in their prime when I was a teen, technically in my prime and since then we've drifted apart and with few exceptions it's just a friend I stay interested in but rarely ever actually hang out with.

Having said that though the DS is incredible for JRPGs and I do play alot of them, to check them out realy,  rarely to completion though and mainly on the toilet or the bus so they don't feel like a waste of time,,, cos I suppose I'm just wasting time in those sitations anyway, blah. I'd go as far to say that the DS sits alongside PS1 and PS2 as the best JRPG consoles of all time, so far.

PS - I plan on renting Tales Of Graces F when that hits PS3, always liked that series :Wink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43802 of 45,064 (249 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

The DS and PSP are both pretty evenly matched when it comes to JRPGs.

... but yeah, they are a time sink which is one of the reasons that I liked RoF as it included suspension (i.e. temporary save states) so that I didn't have to make a dash for the save point every time I wanted to stop playing.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43803 of 45,064 (233 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I oreded Tales of Graces F this week as well as Tales of the Abyss which is what I'm playing now.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43804 of 45,064 (229 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Me and my PS3 have forgotten what other games look like thanks to Dragon's Dogma. I started a new game because I missed the chance to do a quest that I was interested to see the outcome of... then once I did it I realised I had rushed the story and avoided fights to get to the quest so much, that I was now too weak for the monsters... so I've started again and to make sure I don't restart again and get into a habit of it I bought some DLC armour and it says that you lose it should you delete your save. XD

EDIT: all games should have screenshot support, it's cool. lol

Please use plain text.
Message 43805 of 45,064 (207 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Hi all,

Some of you may be interested in this:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Fan-Art/SOTM-COMPETITIO-N/td-p/14830821

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
Message 43806 of 45,064 (183 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43807 of 45,064 (160 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Just saying that you know the Metal Gear Solid comics?

Well I finally bought the MGS2 one where it's all in one.

Next I'm planning on getting this.

メタルギアソリッド - Metal Gear Solid
"United We Stand, Divided We Fall"

Twitter

Please use plain text.
Message 43808 of 45,064 (149 Views)
Level 9

Playstation Staff

I've got the hardback versions of both the MGS1 and MGS2 graphic novels. The second is actually pretty good, but you can tell that they had no clue about the whole Liquid's arm thing... heh.

I've also got Ashley Wood's Art of Metal Gear Solid, though I would have preferred a graphic novel adaptation of MGS3. It's a shame that never happened though.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43809 of 45,064 (140 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Store Update

Nothing for me.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43810 of 45,064 (100 Views)