Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 40

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
09 Oct 2011
By Expanse_

Expanse_

  • Offline
43%
02 Rank
Progress

Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

21 Replies 7,888 Views Created 09-10-2011
09 Oct 2011
By Expanse_

I refused to play Demon's Souls after realising you could not copy the save files (not including the PSN+ online backup service) effectively making the game a waste of money for me. 

 

I would like to know if the same applies to the sequel. 

 

Killzone 2 had copy-protected save files whereas Killzone 3 does not.

I'm hoping the same applies to Dark Souls. 

 

Oh and this is just for backup purposes as I prefer not to pay extra money for the convenience of an online backup service which may or may not continue to exist in the foreseeable future. 

0 Kudos
Reply
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Pie1862

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Pie1862
Accepted Solution
Out of interest, why does this make it a waste of money?
0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
09
/16

Symonator

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
89%
09 Rank
Progress
Symonator
Accepted Solution

Yes it is locked but i had a new slim the day after i got dark souls so used the online storage with psn to back up.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Soilderblue

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Soilderblue
Accepted Solution

Why are saves protected anyway we should be able to back are saves up.I dont agree with haveing to pay for a service for backing are saves up.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

teh-gamer

  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
teh-gamer
Accepted Solution

Soilderblue wrote:

Why are saves protected anyway we should be able to back are saves up.I dont agree with haveing to pay for a service for backing are saves up.



The main reason games potect saves is to stop game save hacking and trophy glitching, also it stops you from cheating, for example you have some rare weapons youy drop them for an online buddy and afterwards  you delete your save and copy it back so you still have the rare weapons, you can still do that if your a PS+ member but I would hope that people wouldn't do it as it ruins part of what Dark/Demon's Souls is about,

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

[ Edited ]
Teh gamer is doing a 24 hour game a thon for Shrewsbury and Telford hospital please give what you can here https://www.justgiving.com/Ifor-Edwards1

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Expanse_

  • Offline
43%
02 Rank
Progress
Expanse_
Accepted Solution

In response to Pie1862's question: 

When I realised my data would remain vunerable I stopped playing Demon's Souls. 

Buying a game that I do not play is (to me) a waste of money. 

 

Thank you Symonator for answering my question. Though my response has been late I am grateful. 

 

I completely agree with Soilderblue. It is unfair to attempt to force forward-thinking gamers to pay to back up the progress they have put time and effort into accumulating. 

 

Teh-gamer, while this action may reduce some instances of cheating it forces all gamers to take the risk of losing their save data should a console or hard drive fail. 

In my oppinion, if movement of save data must be restricted then locking a save file to a user's PSN I.D should sufficiently reduce exploitation while restricting the risk to the user's account details as opposed a console or hard drive. Though I imagine this still means that should a user loose access to his/her account for any reason they would also be unable to access their save data. 

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Pie1862

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Pie1862
Accepted Solution

Expanse_ wrote:

In response to Pie1862's question: 

When I realised my data would remain vunerable I stopped playing Demon's Souls. 

Buying a game that I do not play is (to me) a waste of money. 

 



I understand that buying a game you're not going to play is a waste of money (most of us have done it I'm sure), but it seems a shame you're not willing to play Demon's Souls because there's a risk you'll lose your data.

I know from experience what you mean, I had to restart after finsihing the game but not getting full completion when my old phat PS3 died. But, I enjoy the game so started again and am happy to say got platinum after around NG++++ and can absolutely say it's the most I've got out of any video game I've ever played. (And I've been playing casually since the space invader/pong days).

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
04
/16

WikidEvilGenius

  • Offline
97%
04 Rank
Progress
WikidEvilGenius
Accepted Solution

If game developers insist on locking the saved game file at the expense of legitimate users loosing their saves, Sony should provide free access to the backup cloud for all PSN users. People pay enough for games and for gaming hardware. Backup is a fundamental feature that should be included free of charge.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
05
/16

MoltenArmour

  • Offline
73%
05 Rank
Progress
MoltenArmour
Accepted Solution
tbh plus is only around 3-4 pounds a month, hardly going to break the bank for anyone, if you are so concerned about your data being lost its really not that far out of reach, plus you get games!
0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Expanse_ wrote:

 

When I realised my data would remain vunerable I stopped playing Demon's Souls. 

Buying a game that I do not play is (to me) a waste of money.



LOL why not play it until if and when your data corrupts, and then stop playing? Sounds like you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot to me.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Expanse_

  • Offline
43%
02 Rank
Progress
Expanse_
Accepted Solution

InfiniteStates wrote:

Expanse_ wrote:

 

When I realised my data would remain vunerable I stopped playing Demon's Souls. 

Buying a game that I do not play is (to me) a waste of money.



LOL why not play it until if and when your data corrupts, and then stop playing? Sounds like you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot to me.


I see your point, but as I see things, the further amount of time I invest into the game, the more there is to loose. 

Playstation Plus is one alternative but is auguably less sustainable than flash storage since you are merely renting the space at Sony's discretion and expense. 

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Expanse_ wrote:

InfiniteStates wrote:

Expanse_ wrote:

 

When I realised my data would remain vunerable I stopped playing Demon's Souls. 

Buying a game that I do not play is (to me) a waste of money.



LOL why not play it until if and when your data corrupts, and then stop playing? Sounds like you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot to me.


I see your point, but as I see things, the further amount of time I invest into the game, the more there is to loose. 

Playstation Plus is one alternative but is auguably less sustainable than flash storage since you are merely renting the space at Sony's discretion and expense. 



True, but spending money on a game then not playing it because of a potential rare future event makes little sense to me. Following that logic, there is no point ever buying a house because it may burn down one day.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Expanse_

  • Offline
43%
02 Rank
Progress
Expanse_
Accepted Solution

InfiniteStates wrote:

Expanse_ wrote:

InfiniteStates wrote:

Expanse_ wrote:

 

When I realised my data would remain vunerable I stopped playing Demon's Souls. 

Buying a game that I do not play is (to me) a waste of money.



LOL why not play it until if and when your data corrupts, and then stop playing? Sounds like you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot to me.


I see your point, but as I see things, the further amount of time I invest into the game, the more there is to loose. 

Playstation Plus is one alternative but is auguably less sustainable than flash storage since you are merely renting the space at Sony's discretion and expense. 



True, but spending money on a game then not playing it because of a potential rare future event makes little sense to me. Following that logic, there is no point ever buying a house because it may burn down one day.


That's an interesting analogy you've made there. It needs to be made more accurate though.

'A person buys a house. A little while later, the person realises the house cannot be insured. The person sells the house, refusing to live in it for this reason. The person rationalises that he/she owns other houses with insurance.'

 

What you're questioning is if it 'makes sense' for an individual to choose not to play a game because of a locked save file. You mention logic, so I'll say one could logically argue a single person is unlikely to make a great enough difference to server figures for this action to 'make sense'. Though following that logic no one would vote because no one's decision would matter. A world without matter seems less feasible to me than a pro-homelessness system of reasoning.  

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Expanse_ wrote:

 

What you're questioning is if it 'makes sense' for an individual to choose not to play a game because of a locked save file. You mention logic, so I'll say one could logically argue a single person is unlikely to make a great enough difference to server figures for this action to 'make sense'. Though following that logic no one would vote because no one's decision would matter. A world without matter seems less feasible to me than a pro-homelessness system of reasoning.  



The sense bears no relation to server counts - that and the rest of the paragraph beyond that is irrelevant. It is the sense of denying yourself the fun of the game due to the potential for grief no matter how small. The sense extends no further than yourself.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
06
/16

JOHNY--BRAVO

  • Offline
89%
06 Rank
Progress
JOHNY--BRAVO
Accepted Solution

 

i got a good way through demons souls then got ylod, heart breaking,its the main reason i didn't buy dark souls, i try to avoid games with this type of copy protection now.Sony introduced online passes i can't see the reason why we should pay to backup our game saves with psn plus.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

That's unlucky, but the same goes for you... You're missing out on a great game, and why? On the off-chance that misfortune should strike twice? Makes no sense to me - following that logic I would never drive anywhere for fear of someone driving into me.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
06
/16

JOHNY--BRAVO

  • Offline
89%
06 Rank
Progress
JOHNY--BRAVO
Accepted Solution

 

well i picked it up cheap infinite states and im afraid your thoughts about this being a great game are a little exaggerated, you failed to mention the freezing issues when online, the terrible framerate throughout several parts of the game and the connection issues, it has cool ideas for a game but it lets itself down badly with the issues it has. My thoughts on not being allowed to make a backup for free of my game saves still remain the same, especially with how many hours you need to put into this game and how unreliable the ps3 has been.Its a great shame it suffers from the framerate problems especially as the game is not that great looking, i enjoyed the cutscene with him being pulled into the picture reminded me a lot of zelda lol

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Oh well - it was a subjective opinion and I stand by it. I don't really remember any of those issues being a problem other the frame rate in the poison place (forget the name). I came in from Demon's Souls knowing pretty much what to expect and it didn't disappoint. Sorry it did for you. Trade it.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
06
/16

JOHNY--BRAVO

  • Offline
89%
06 Rank
Progress
JOHNY--BRAVO
Accepted Solution

 

the only game i ever traded was medal of honour, ive read dark souls may be getting dlc and they are aware of the framerate issues so hopefully they'll fix it, 1.05 was supposed to fix the freezing issues but obviously didn't,il keep it and hope i dont ylod but since im on 2nd ps3 nephews on his 3rd and a mates on his fourth im doubtful, im pleased sony dont make cars

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

DLC is coming this winter.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

GroundBreaker91

  • Offline
96%
02 Rank
Progress
GroundBreaker91
Accepted Solution

I lost my save data last year when i got to Blighttown but i still have Dark Souls and i plan on starting it again soon 

0 Kudos

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?


Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel