31 Dec 2011
By nx13
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

I don't understand this game!

15 Replies 517 Views Created 31-12-2011

What's the story?

Is there any combat moves apart form block hit block hit?

What are souls used for?

What are the missions/plots?

When do you know when to kill a NPC and when to leave them?

How do you start PVP?

I really dont get this game haha. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (517 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: I don't understand this game!

nx13 wrote:

What's the story?
Minimal, sadly.
Is there any combat moves apart form block hit block hit?
Strong attack, light attack, magic, crossbows, longbows, miracles.
What are souls used for?
Everything! Levelling up, buying items, upgrading stuff. They are like currency.
What are the missions/plots?
At the start its straightforward until you reach firelink shrine, where someone will tell you to ring two bells, head up the stairs/slope in the direction of the bridge, its a lot more linear from that point onwards...
When do you know when to kill a NPC and when to leave them?
You don't, thats half the fun, dont trust all the messages you read though.
How do you start PVP?
You'll unlock the required items at a later date.
I really dont get this game haha.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (507 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

So is this world just like the way it is for no real reason?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (496 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

I'm guessing you're talking about Dark Souls rather than Demon's Souls..?

The intro video explains why the world is the way it is... In a nutshell, it's the age of fire following a war between the Lords and Dragons. Nito unleashed death and disease, so everyone is undead, apart from chaotic beings or knights who serve other lords.

You can pick up other fragments of back story by reading or talking to the limited people you can. Keep talking to people until they repeat themselves to exhaust all dialogue. As a general rule, if you can talk to them, they are friendly, although there may be an exception.

But to be honest, you don't come to these games for an involved story. It's all about the combat and challenge. And co-op is pretty fun too. If you want to co-op, send me an invite and put what level your character is in the invite (can only co-op within +/- 10 levels, or 10% - whichever is largest).

PvP happens by chance for the most part. If you're in human form you will more than likely get invaded when you are exploring a new area with an active boss. I found there are a lot of people trolling low levels with maxed out elemental weapons, making it not much fun until about level 30ish.

If you want to initiate PvP yourself there are a few routes... The quickest to get to (but unsustainable) is through the use of a consumable item - cracked red eye orb. This lets you invade someone else, but will use up the stone if successful. You can also join various covenants for a more sustainable way of invading.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 16 (487 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I'd love to CO-OP with someone who knows what he's/she's doing, but unfortunately I am... well ... having to start again because I got to that fireshrine place then saw a red message saying to beat someone to a pulp who turns out to be a important part of the game and now he won't die and keeps killing me hahahaha.

I'm guessing you're not willing to re-roll with me O:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (477 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Probably too late, but you can actually prevent him attacking you, its also enroute to where you need to be going. It costs a lot of souls however and given you aren't very far in you're probably better off starting again anyway.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (474 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

There isn't any maps or direction so I have no idea where to go. Also, what is the white matter or whatever that I keep stepping through?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (469 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Thats for co-op, it stops both players from straying too far from eachother. Sometimes it indicates a boss battle.

The first bit is quite linear, where are you up to?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (466 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I was at the Fireshrine, but I'll have to re-roll, I'm away from home atm so I haven't been playing, but i'm hoping someone will co-op re-roll with me... -cough- infinestates -cough-
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (462 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Yeah, I'm happy to start another character :smileyhappy:

I just discovered you can have eight, not the four I assumed, so I have another four slots to use...

I'll get a character to level 15 or so, and get my co-op stone so we should be able to meet up.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (459 Views)
0 Kudos