27 Jan 2012

Playstation Staff

Eyepet & Friends - Boring?

4 Replies 2,072 Views Created 27-01-2012

Hi all. After getting our first PS3 at Christmas, my wife and I decided to splurge on a couple of Move controllers and Eyepet & Friends for our little (4yo) girl rather than getting the regular Eyepet Move.  I've got to say that it seems like that was a big mistake...

We got the 'Friends' version so that we could play along with her from time to time. But when she's playing alone, there just doesn't appear to be much going on. Once you open up the menu to do a task, it seems that you're stuck doing tasks unless you reset the game - we can't find any way of getting it back to just being the Eyepet on the screen for some hands-on interaction.

Also we're really disappointed since it doesn't look like this version does the same sort of things as the previous one. We watched Eyepet trailers and expected a cute little animal that will copy things that she writes and draws and shows to the camera, and since she LOVES painting and colouring, this was a big selling point. Is that something that's still to come (we're only on Day 2) or is it just missing entirely from this version?

Right now this game is nothing more than a Tamagotchi with good graphics and if we'd known this we'd never have bought it. We're VERY disappointed :smileysad:

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (2,072 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Eyepet & Friends - Boring?

EyePet & Friends is quite different to EyePet (and EyePet Move Edition) and many of the things from the first game are not carried across. I happen to think this is a good thing for those who already have the first game - you don't want to think you're buying the same thing with a few add-ons.

However you might just need a couple of pointers to get more out of 'Friends'. On the menu there is an option called 'PlayTime' which is the mode you mention - the pet running around on screen where you can interact with your hands. Pressing the action button on the Move controller will then cycle between different freeplay toys (e.g. water pistol, trick stick). Be careful because when these toys are selected the pet doesn't respond to hand interactions - you need to cycle back to when there's no toy. The good news is that you don't need to reset your game to get back to this mode!

If you daughter likes drawing then the creativity activities should be quite fun. I think the option is called something like 'Creativity Centre' (from memory). In there you can make greetings cards, toys or customise clothing. It's easy to lose hours in this mode if you like that sort of thing. Unfortunately the 'friends' version loses the option to draw on paper and show it to your pet. They've also removed the bit where your pet draws it back - a shame.

There are no 'days' in the new game (unlike the original) which means that everything you can do is available 'to buy' from day one. 'Buying' these activities requires in game credits so you need to play the game quite a bit to get everything. An easy way to get credits quickly is to make UFOs over and over (i.e. create one, get the credits, make another straight away) - if your daughter is enjoying the gentle unlocking pace though you might want to keep this to yourself (we did!).

You should be able to pick up EyePet Move Edition second hand for next to nothing now which I'd recommend as the original game had more heart. But that's not to say that there aren't things in 'Friends' that your daughter should love - especially the creativity stuff!

Please check out my LBP levels! http://lbp.me/u/vladimirimp
Message 2 of 5 (2,052 Views)

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the detailed reply, Vlad. Yep, we'd already been through PlayTime and Creativity but still feel like something's lacking, especially in 'Single Player' mode. And I completely agree abouty the thing where people want something different from a 'sequal' but I just find it a shame that something that seemed to be such a big part (and selling point?) of the original is missed out altogether. I really can't see why they didn't keep those features and add to them rather than replace them altogether.

We're actually looking out for a reasonably-priced Eyepet Move game now. I know they're comparatively reasonable anyway, but when you consider that we've just spent over $100 on a less-than-thrilling Tamagotchi, we'll have to wait before pumping more money into it. Besides, from what I've seen, the Eyepets themselves aren't compatible between the two games are they? (Meaning that we'd have to go through the whole hatching/customising/training thing from scratch)

Thanks again for the reply :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (2,039 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Eyepet Move editions and Eyepet and Friends Use a completely different Game Engine and 3D models, So no content can be swapped.

Its a shame you did not read this forum before buying as I did a post Explaining the differences from Each version.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/EyePet/EyePet-amp-Friends/m-p/14391521/highlight/true#M1402   

Spoiler
If you were wondering why there was no sticky by me for Eyepet & friends. Its so easy to do things it did not need one... 
SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. User of... VM cable, SKY+HD, Game Capture HD II. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43.
Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast... and TV from Sky PS4.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (2,035 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Ah, cheers for that Graphite. Yep it's a shame I never came across that post. Since we only got the PS3 a month ago most of our time's been spent with LBP2, Heavy Rain, Arkham Asylum/City, etc.  It was only when we saw a deal online for the Move controllers & camera that we decided it'd be great for the little one so just did the usual YouTube trawl for info on a suitable interactive game for her...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (2,030 Views)
0 Kudos