08 Nov 2009
By dq2008
Playstation Staff

Time Of Moderation aka Lithium

9 Replies 2,569 Views Created 08-11-2009

First of all I'd like to say that this story was not planned but written off the top of my head, also it has contextual factors, find them in this thread. Now the story.

After many days of studying the Moderator's posts, I found strange symbols and allusions in his texts, I picked the dusty ancient Mod's Bible off the shelf and set the heavy, leather bound book down onto the ancient Oak table that was a part of the living, breathing Library. The table groaned and creaked as if the weight of the book was excessive, but it's legs stood firm.

I opened the ancient text, carefully turning the pages as if they were made of only a thin layer of glass. I looked for the definition of 'Kudos', "K for Kudos" I whispered I found the page; 2,031 about halfway down the page was the word Kudos but the definition had been carefully cut from the book and had been replaced with "Edited by MusterBuster on 31-10-1941 03.41AM". Most peculiar I thought, who was this MusterBuster? And what gave him the authority to cut pages from this holy book? Questions ran through my mind, a waterfall of thoughts through the rocks of my brain. I opened my diary and wrote 'Dear Diary, I have discovered a new character to research,s/he is called MusterBuster and they have defaced the Mod's Bible, most suspicious. That's all for now.' I slid the battered diary back into the pocket of my faded blue denim jeans and slipped on my leather jacket, I could hear the security guard walking around and I did not want to be the one paying for defacing the Mod's Bible, I would leave quickly and quietly.Too late, he had seen the Bible he strode over to me.

As the security guard came over the impulse to run became stronger but I managed to overcome it and stay glued to my seat paralysed in my own sweat. I realised that my time of research in this library was probably over and it was all down to this 'MusterBuster'. The guard came to the table "you, out now and you're barred from the library" he whispered in a surprisingly soft voice for someone of his build. He picked the heavy Bible up with ease and took it to the front desk at the library, I slunk out, not protesting, just cursing my stupidity, there was no point in arguing these days, ever since the new government came in, arguing would get you killed.

I walked out onto the quiet streets, hardly anyone came out these days everything was delivered to their door, the news had ground everyone's mind down until the majority of the populous lived in fear of something or other, there was no compassion, no love, no brotherhood between the once great human race.

There had been 6 billion of us before 2012 according to a book I had read in the library, now there were only 500,000 of us and the young ones of the race were in ratio of 1:1 by gender, if a child spoilt this ratio, their parents were ordered to "dispose of" their child within two days of birth. I remembered a simpler time but never mentioned it, sealed lips, open mind, that was my motto.

In the year 2051 "The Association Of Humanity" had appointed "moderators" after killing the police force, my father applied and got in, he was killed by his employers in 2074 at the age of 49. But he had given me a gift before his death, a gift which most people didn't have, something that they couldn't kill, something they couldn't test or find via their inhumane methods. He had given me the gift of an education, I could read, write and I knew a most confusing thing known as "The Properties", once known as "Physics" according to the Glorious Revelations Of Thorr, which I had read as a teenager, it had revealed so much to me but none of it was proven, all theoretical evidence which gave it an air of mystery.

I would go home and write to an old friend, an ancient art, it was hard to get ink these days so writing letters had become harder and harder. I walked for 3 miles until I reached my front door, I pulled back the retina scan lock and put my eye at it's level. The scanner briefly turned red before clicking to green and unlocking my door. I kicked off my shoes as I entered and went into the living room I turned on the telly and saw the usual fearmongering "Deadly War in West Atlantia", I knew this wasn't true as I would have seen the images they were showing on the telly on the way back from the library, but it kept the people frightened and that was good enough for them.

After a few minutes watching the telly, I got up and walked towards the old desk in the corner and unlocked it with a classical key, I found my paper and ink and began writing.

Join the Alter Bridge UK Street Team
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (2,569 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Time Of Moderation aka Lithium

It was only a matter of time before I found this thread  :smileywink:

Keep it up mate. :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (2,554 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (2,539 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

MusterBuster wrote:

:smileysurprised:

Bookmarked!

Because your ol' pumpkin is a main plot point?  :smileyvery-happy:

Hey, I did something similar a while back, where you were the leader of a major faction in an inter-forum war, MB :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (2,531 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the kind comments and kudos! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (2,504 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

when the next bit coming??
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (2,495 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Sorry guys haven't had time to write the follow-up, been busy with college, I will try and take some time out this weekend though.

dq2008

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (2,456 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Part II:

"Dear LesTrade

It feels like decades have passed since you left. How are you over in Atlantis? Hope the wife and kids are well! I need your help, I have discovered a most strange thing, known only as 'Kudos', I have referenced it in the Bible, which was the only place I could find anything about it and have found that the definition has been removed by a 'MusterBuster', what can you tell me about this 'Kudos' and 'MusterBuster'? It may be the key to ending our struggle.

Yours Hopefully

Yer Auld Mate DQ2008

I then put it in an envelope and addressed it, I would use a "custom" service to send it and for that I'd need to leave the house, again.

I neede to post the letter and I felt like walking in the cold air anyway so I went upstairs to get my walking shoes and my gun, it was dangerous out there, the dogs would ravage you in seconds, but once you killed one, they all f***ed off. I climbed up two flights of stairs, running my hand over the textured, once golden wallpaper, my legs burnt as I ran up 84 steps (I had a habit of counting and re-counting them as a child), I remembered my father saying "Come on fatty you can do better than that" and I laughed out loud, something that was rare these days.

I picked up an old Luger out of the glass display case in the attic and checked it had bullets in it and it was oiled. I grabbed a few extra mags just in case and shoved the guns into the holster at my hip and the mags in my inside jacket pocket. I then proceeded to pick out the steel capped shoes, they might be heavy but they were bloody good!

I frisked myself checking I had everything, ticking off things in my mental checklist; keys, check, letter, check, gun, check, smoke device, check, legs, arms, torso, feet etc, check!

I then ran back down the stairs like a charging bull in the old fields of "Spain",  a country long destroyed. I walked out of the back door, I didn't fancy increasing my chances of being killed by going out of the front!

The back door led to a rather dubious looking alley, dark in the day and darker in the night, but I knew it was safe, I'd built it myself, only I had access to it. I walked briskly through the alley, hand on my gun for no reason whatsoever, it had become a force of habit. Once I was out I gulped in masses of air like I was a fish who had been momentarily taken out of it's glass bowl. "Left or right?" I thought and the voices in my mind thought it appropriate to start arguing, anyway I went left. Going right would have been the better decision.

I walked for four miles without trouble, but then my legs started burning, best get back home I thought to myself, I reckoned it would be best to take the shorter way through the smaller roads, I'd get home quicker that way. I walked for about twenty minutes until I was only ten minutes from home. I needed a rest though and there were benches across the road, I'd only sit for five minutes, get my breath back.

Once my heart rate had dropped down to it's normal rate and I was no longer tired I got up and started the short walk home. I could smell the food that I'd cook when I got home. Beef lasagne I thought, I remembered the adverts for the ready meal of beef lasagne "tasty and nootrisjus!", but I'd rather lick a tramp's arse than eat that rubbish, no I made my meals from scratch, tasty and nootrisjus!

Growling and barking came from every side and I felt for my gun, in it's holster, it wasn't there and the holster was open, my mags were in my pocket but no gun. Sh*t, I thought, I was screwed, the dogs smelt food and fear, they were salivating at the thought of me, if only I could get women to do that as well. I looked around and saw where my gun was, a short sprint away on the bench where I was sat, the holster must have popped open when I sat down.

The dogs ran at me and formed a perfect circle, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten f**king dogs! They all emitted a low growl, which sounded like one giant dog growling, I wished I was facing one giant dog. I had to pick my enemy, the weakest one who'd fall back with one kick, who I could run to and kick the sh*t out of but they all looked pretty strong, pot luck I thought. "Eeny meeny miny mo catch a b**tard by his toe..."

But my enemy picked himself. The leader of the pack came forward, alpha male, hunter gatherer, I saw his weak spot; just below his neck he had quite a nasty cut, barely healed, if I kicked well I could bleed him out and get my gun. He inched closer, his growling intensifying with each shuffle of his feet. He was one of those dogs, the smaller ones that would rip you to shreds in minutes if they beat you, so the first blow would be essential for both of us, if he fell I'd win and the dogs would leave and I'd get my letter to good old Les. If he didn't fall? Well I didn't think about that...

TBC

part III later today

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (2,171 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

:smileyvery-happy:

Made my day! I've been waiting for this!
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (2,158 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Haven't had time today, part III up either tomorrow or Tuesday!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (2,139 Views)
0 Kudos