18 Nov 2008
Playstation Staff

COD: Waw Review/ COD4 comparision

16 Replies 2,088 Views Created 18-11-2008
I wasnt really excited about getting this game. But seeing as all my mates were buying it, i didnt really wanna miss out. I loved COD4, when it was released and was my first real COD experience, and it was a good one. The story mode could rival a big blockbuster action movie and the multiplayer was fantastic (when it worked)

Now onto World at War. This installment as you all will know has dumped the modern setting of COD4 and gone back to WWII. I personally thought that this was a very bad move seeing as COD4 was so successful. And WW2 has more or less been squeezed dry in the game industry (No disrespect to the many soliders who fought and died in that war). but seeing as it used the COD4 engine it made me more curious.

The story mode is told in a variety of slick cutscene scenes and war footage that reminded me of the opening credits of the film "The Kingdom". Slick it maybe, but i didnt find it very engrossing and it didnt draw me in as much as COD4. Firstly all the main characters look the same and i found it difficult to tell them apart. They werent really as interesting as Price and Gaz from COD4. Secondly the story didnt really flow so well either. It seemed more like playing in episodes of a war drama rather than a film like plot. But maybe this was intentional.

Onto the gameplay. Well it is very much identical to COD4. The controls are the same. the guns however are different. Your arsenal this time consists of mainly bolt action rifles and sub machine guns. But the newests an best addition has to be the flamethrower. It rocks! It downs enemys very easily and is fun to use. Tanks are also driveable in one level of the game and it helps break things up a bit, but there arent as many gameplay changes as COD4. Like less rail shooting for instance.

Now to the Multiplayer. There is Co-op this time around, on and offline. You play through the Campagin and try to beat each other by scoring more pionts than your friends. you score pionts by killing enemies and so on. This is a definite one up over COD4. However this may not be for everyone but i have has many problems with Co-op. My PS3 always seems to crash at the end of a Co-op level. Hopefully this will be patched very soon.

Now the Competitive Multiplayer. If you played COD4 multiplayer to death then you will feel right at home here. the menu layout is the same as are the ways the perks and create a class system is layed out. There are new perks this time around, including ones for your Tanks to use in multiplayer. Guns are upgradeable again in the same way as COD4. thre are a few new modes also including the mode known as "War" This like a King of the hill sort of game, where you go around and capture bases etc.

I find it a real shame that Treyarch have simply copied and pasted the online system from COD4 and just reskined it. they havent even tried to improve it's faults. It suffers from all the problems that COD4 suffered from, e.g. Server issues, host disconnects etc. Hopefully this will improve but it is still a major annoyance.

Overall COD: Waw is everything you were expecting. The same great gameplay, with addicting multiplayer but now in WW2. You get exactly what you pay for, but its a shame that Treyarch didnt really use any imagination and didnt really add anything new and ground breaking to the game. But if you loved COD4, you will definately like this!

8/10

Please comment
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17 (2,088 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: COD: Waw Review/ COD4 comparison

[ Edited ]

If I hadn't spent over a year playing COD4 now, COD waw would be a must get. But after seeing everyone (including all my mates) saying how much it like COD4 iv gave it a miss. Too many good games to get to go back and sorta replay COD4. COD4 single player bored me but online was awesome!!

Got Fallout 3 and LBP instead, Getting resistance 2 on release (love the beta!!) and Endwar wen I have money

Great reveiw though, sounds spot on to what iv heard.

Ent played the game so I cant really say how good it is tho.

*EDIT* Spelt bored wrong LOL, sud use spell checker :smileyfrustrated:

Message Edited by Shadow_Gamer on 18-11-2008 09:47 PM

SneezeDON'T TOUCH ME!! Sneeze
Bring back godsgift18888!!!! He's Back :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17 (2,085 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Shadow_Gamer wrote:

If I hadn't spent over a year playing COD4 now, COD waw would be a must get. But after seeing everyone (including all my mates) saying how much it like COD4 iv gave it a miss. Too many good games to get to go back and sorta replay COD4. COD4 single player bored me but online was awesome!!

Got Fallout 3 and LBP instead, Getting resistance 2 on release (love the beta!!) and Endwar wen I have money

Great reveiw though, sounds spot on to what iv heard.

Ent played the game so I cant really say how good it is tho.

*EDIT* Spelt bored wrong LOL, sud use spell checker :smileyfrustrated:

Message Edited by Shadow_Gamer on 18-11-2008 09:47 PM

Thanks mate, Im saving R2 for christmas

I will review it whn i get it
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17 (2,080 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I'm a big Fan of CoD:UO and to me CoD2,3 & 4 were dull and boring and accept for graphics outright boring as hell, now WaW i've found very good and i've enojoyed it more, i think my reasons for that are mainly the size of the maps being bigger. This game to me is a breath of fresh air because of that reason although sorry to say it still is no where as good as UO.

Please don't slate me for saying not as good as CoD:UO unless you've played it!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17 (2,068 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

NSGS_Shot wrote:

I'm a big Fan of CoD:UO and to me CoD2,3 & 4 were dull and boring and accept for graphics outright boring as hell, now WaW i've found very good and i've enojoyed it more, i think my reasons for that are mainly the size of the maps being bigger. This game to me is a breath of fresh air because of that reason although sorry to say it still is no where as good as UO.

Please don't slate me for saying not as good as CoD:UO unless you've played it!

lol you're the first person i've heard (seen) to say that.

I <3 Photoshop

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17 (2,010 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I bought Cod Waw on release day as from COD 4 I really enjoyed it and every miniute of the story and multiplayer modes. I play Cod Waw and if I could I would love to take it back, I think the single player mode is boring and I really cant get into it. The multiplayer is ok but the maps are very boring, not much going for them. Graphics are amazine and it does have the COD feel but thats about it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17 (1,933 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

game seems like it's just a re-skinned version of cod4 with trophies, so i've given it a miss... not worth forking out another £40 for a game that i pretty much already have..
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17 (1,917 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: COD: Waw Review/ COD4 comparision

interesting. I was wondernig if it could kill COD4.. guess not 
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17 (1,886 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

hmm. i might rent it after reading this.. for multplayer COD4 ftw
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17 (1,883 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

UKLegends wrote:
hmm. i might rent it after reading this.. for multplayer COD4 ftw

that is probably what i will do aswell, i just don't think its worth a buy..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17 (1,846 Views)
0 Kudos