84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Super Street Fighter IV

108 Replies 1,593 Views Created 01-05-2010

I'll come out and just say it, I've never played a Street Fighter game.

My fighting game experience consisits of Mortal Kombat 2. So my question is would Super Street Fighter IV be a good game for someone like me?

Is it easy to learn or will I have to put hours and hours into it before I get half decent? Will I need a fighting stick to get the best experience out of it? And finally, is it quite popular online? I think I've ever only seen 2 people on my FL on a Street Fighter game and by the sound of the lobby system it seems it would be better playing with friends.

Wow, that was more questions than I thought they'd be. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
Photobucket
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

stephenc87

• Beta Tester
98%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stephenc87
Accepted Solution
Lol, I hate the Ken noobs who total own me :(

I tried Dhalsim today, he seems pretty good but like everyone else, would need a bit of time to get used to. I loved just teleporting about, annoying some Sagat, Yoga Towering over his fireballs. But then he kicked me in the face :(

Sakura was pretty easy to use when I played as her and had specials similar to Ken and Ryu so not too hard to pull off quickly.
It's good that everyone is unlocked anyway, so you have plenty choice. Hopefully you stick with it. I gave up on SF4 but finding this one much better.

This basic tutorial seems pretty useful :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa4GJQFYM1s
I just love the German guy's voice lol.
0 Kudos

Re: Super Street Fighter IV

/16

WiJoDa

48%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WiJoDa
Accepted Solution

if any of you guys want to have a couple of games in send me a friend request  I play about with a few of the characters and it we could help each other out in terms of matchups.  

I main ryu, but use others like fei long, gouken and dan (but im trying to learn juri)

0 Kudos

/16

SunAndSteel

75%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SunAndSteel
Accepted Solution

For those who are struggling to do special moves like fireballs and dragon punch rotations all I can say is persevere! It was many a year ago but I was hopeless at the movements  when I started playing Street Fighter. Now? I can barely remember that period, or how I even got the hang of it really, it just happens ( so yeah, I suppose it is a difficulty wall rather than curve...) but it is brilliant once you eventually get to the stage where you can pull of the moves without trouble. I've played with people who didn't touch fighting games 'til they were nearly 20 and now they play at a half-decent level.

Same with 360's for grabs, I could never do them properly. Then around the time of Capcom VS SNK 2 I just got to the stage where I sat myself against the CPU and didn't stop playing until I could do them consistently, now I can do them standing without needing to jump-buffer them and tend to main grapplers in fighting games as a result ( 'mon the Hakan! ).

0 Kudos

---------------------------------------------------------------
Beta Tester
/16

stephenc87

• Beta Tester
98%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stephenc87
Accepted Solution
I've not really tried Hakan but I love his ultra 2, seen GTBunny do it to someone earlier, it's quality XD

I'm still getting humped by all the jump in and cross-up Ken and Ryus, anyone know what to do against them? I try hit them out the air and they hit me first, I try dashing and tend to go the wrong way or not far enough, I try focusing but they hit more than once so go through the armour. It's doing my head in :(
0 Kudos

/16

ohmsford

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ohmsford
Accepted Solution

My patience is wearing thin. I'm yet to pull off a super combo or an ultra. My special moves are hit and miss. I'm yet to win a single round online. 

I seem to have settled on Sakura, but starting to have a re-think. If anyone wishes to add me for a few easy wins, be my guest. As long as let me get one punch in :smileywink:

0 Kudos

Photobucket
Beta Tester
/16

stephenc87

• Beta Tester
98%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stephenc87
Accepted Solution
:( I hope it gets better.

Have you noticed any main reasons for losing? For several games, I realised I was rarely blocking so started doing that more and took it from there.
There are plenty tutorials on youtube, even character specific ones, they can give you a few good combos you can practice.

Although reliably pulling off the moves is kind of essential :(
Getting a stick helped me a lot, but I don't think you are that sure about the game to justify buying a controller for it.
0 Kudos

/16

GtBunny

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GtBunny
Accepted Solution
Wow, just been doing some ranked matches with Viper (one of me worst characters whilst aiming for the C rank every character trophy) and everyone I have fought seems to be god like now, gonna have to pull out me claw to grab a few more player points!
0 Kudos

/16

ScootaKuH

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ScootaKuH
Accepted Solution
Well this is very interesting........I actually think I'm now worse at this game than when I first started playing it. I'm getting a lot of games where I don't even manage a single hit, and I'm losing against players I know I should be beating. It's all very strange. Either everyone else is improving at a much faster rate than me or I really am getting worse lol.

As much as I try I can't seem to block, and as GtBunny said above, everyone seems like some kind of god, it's almost like they're reading my thoughts and are preparing to counter every single move I make even before I've made it!!
0 Kudos

/16

ITFCdan

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ITFCdan
Accepted Solution

I wanna buy that stick from shopto for £65 but its still outta stock :Shame:

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

stephenc87

• Beta Tester
98%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stephenc87
Accepted Solution
dan, they told me it's unlikely they'll get them back in so I don't think you should wait.

I've not played for a couple of days but feel pretty lucky every game I win :( I think I need to learn to block crossups more because that's what I alwaaaaaays get beat by :( I just try and do them first so the opponent can't get me lol.

Don't think I'll ever get everyone to C rank :O How long has it taken you GT?
0 Kudos

/16

GtBunny

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GtBunny
Accepted Solution
Only got about 3 characters to C rank so far, trying to use my worst for now so that my player points don't take as big as a hit later on, I'm just glad that it shows win rates for each character :)
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

HUYI

• Beta Tester
82%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HUYI
Accepted Solution

ScootaKuH wrote:
Well this is very interesting........I actually think I'm now worse at this game than when I first started playing it. I'm getting a lot of games where I don't even manage a single hit, and I'm losing against players I know I should be beating. It's all very strange. Either everyone else is improving at a much faster rate than me or I really am getting worse lol.

As much as I try I can't seem to block, and as GtBunny said above, everyone seems like some kind of god, it's almost like they're reading my thoughts and are preparing to counter every single move I make even before I've made it!!
it's not you, it's the game, blocking is useless, i've learned that myself against seth, online players are just insane players who play the game non stop and have crazy skills on the game, i've also noticed that when a player attacks you and you pull off a ultra on your opponent it cancels and they can then counter you, i mean what the hell? , crazy stuff.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

HUYI

• Beta Tester
82%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HUYI
Accepted Solution

ohmsford wrote:

Cheers chaps, all the reviews you read seem to be aimed at SF fans and not someone new to the franchise.

It seems cheap enough, I think I'll pick it up. About time I tried something other than a shooter lol.

be warned though migrating to arcade stick from d pad is not easy, i am still not used to it myself, using ken is ok but the only problem with ken is that when he does a dragon punch you are widely open to counter attacks when you go up in the air, i would suggest sakura, her dragon punches are smaller and she does a few in a row, also her move set and ultra is much easier to handle. i would also suggest NOT to go online and fight against other players, they will simply run you down, especially a beginner player like you, just complete arcade mode first and do some of the trials so you can get used to the characters moves first before you go online.
0 Kudos

/16

ScootaKuH

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ScootaKuH
Accepted Solution

HUYI wrote:

ohmsford wrote:

Cheers chaps, all the reviews you read seem to be aimed at SF fans and not someone new to the franchise.

It seems cheap enough, I think I'll pick it up. About time I tried something other than a shooter lol.

be warned though migrating to arcade stick from d pad is not easy, i am still not used to it myself, using ken is ok but the only problem with ken is that when he does a dragon punch you are widely open to counter attacks when you go up in the air, i would suggest sakura, her dragon punches are smaller and she does a few in a row, also her move set and ultra is much easier to handle. i would also suggest NOT to go online and fight against other players, they will simply run you down, especially a beginner player like you, just complete arcade mode first and do some of the trials so you can get used to the characters moves first before you go online.

This is very true. I'm not the best player in the world by any stretch of the imagination but going from standard controller to the arcade stick (I have the offical SF4 fightstick which I got along with the original SF4 last year. I now have got rid of SF4 in favour of the Super variant) and I went from being average to shockingly bad. I now consider myself average again lol.

On the other hand even though the learning to use an arcade stick takes a lot of time and effort it does make the game feel much more authentic after using one for a few sessions there really is no going back. I also found pulling off some of the more complex moves a bit easier with the stick. Just be prepared to take some serious hammerings while you get accustomed to it.

If anyone fancies a few training sessions to help imrove do add. We could even start a winner stays on or team battle if we get enough involved :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

GtBunny

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GtBunny
Accepted Solution
Dpad to stick is sooo true, back in the day I used to play Sf2 on the SNES and playing it in the arcade was extremely difficult. Been meaning to get a stick for ages now but keep putting it off lol
0 Kudos

/16

ITFCdan

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ITFCdan
Accepted Solution

I picked this up in ASDA FOR £19.71, wish all games were priced the same!

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

stephenc87

• Beta Tester
98%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stephenc87
Accepted Solution
This video from the same guy as the last one is pretty good too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlkbbtFrw_0

I didn't know about the move shortcuts, it might help the people struggling to pull off moves :)
0 Kudos

/16

ScootaKuH

83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ScootaKuH
Accepted Solution
Liking the shortcuts. Will be giving them a try :) Good find!!
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

stephenc87

• Beta Tester
98%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stephenc87
Accepted Solution
I kind of started to understand the buffering thing, doing Dan's trials but I didn't know about those shortcuts. It will be good to try :)
0 Kudos

/16

Supernova79

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Supernova79
Accepted Solution
Great video. Trying to get to grips with Dudley at the moment so the shortcut for his half-circle moves will certainly be handy since I'm only using the d-pad.
0 Kudos

/16

GtBunny

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GtBunny
Accepted Solution
Argh, I HATE the shortcuts, they do nothing but get in the way when your trying to do specific combos!
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel