03 Rank
Progress

Final Fantasy 13 is extremely linear!

[ Edited ]
53 Replies 6,660 Views edited 18-12-2009
18 Dec 2009
By KiteGr

I mean *****!

Take a look on the mini-map of the first 6 hours of gameplay! It will make you wonder why does this game even bother to have a map.

My source:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/12/18/final-fantasy-xiii-as-linear-as-a-piece-of-string/

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

steveeire

94%
04 Rank
Progress
steveeire
Accepted Solution

TheNomadic1 wrote:

I have yet to see a bad final fantasy,

eh! FFX-2 is possibly the worst rpg ever to be made and FFXII wasn't great either, but I suppose I did enjoy the battle system in XIII but the equivalent to limit breaks (I forget what they are called in ffxiii) was rubbish and don't get me started on what was wrong with X-2, is tidius and yuna the most annoying whinny couple in ff history?
0 Kudos

Re: Final Fantasy 13 is extremely linear!

[ Edited ]

XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG BLEARYSTEVEEIRE

STEAM ID: BLEARYSTEVE

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

shaolinsword

86%
03 Rank
Progress
shaolinsword
Accepted Solution

TheNomadic1 wrote:

I have yet to see a bad final fantasy

X-2 was terrible and XII destroyed my faith in SE because of their.......realy bad......battle system, story and sphere grid thing that made everyone have the same skills
I'm not too bothered about whether it's linear or not because the main things that make an FF game are the story and battle system

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AnthoAsho

91%
06 Rank
Progress
AnthoAsho
Accepted Solution
You kidding? I actually loved FFXII, I seem to be a minority though. :(
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

shaolinsword

86%
03 Rank
Progress
shaolinsword
Accepted Solution

AnthoAsho wrote:

Nope, I couldn''t even finish XII and considering I finished X-2 with all the secret dress spheres that says something. I don't consider it to be a true FF game tbh

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Roxas598

• Beta Tester
92%
06 Rank
Progress
Roxas598
Accepted Solution

AnthoAsho wrote:

Pretty much

it doesn't diserve to be called a FF imo

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OmegaPyrate

88%
02 Rank
Progress
OmegaPyrate
Accepted Solution

AnthoAsho wrote:

HA!  I found a comrade, at least!  ^_^  The army starts here....

I did like FFXII, despite it's departures- it felt more.... 'solid' I think is the word I'm looking for.  The towns and cities felt alive, there was tons of stuff to do on the side, the field areas had the right atmoshpere depending on what they were (wide open plain, desert, underground cave etc....)  Ok, the story wasn't exactly great and the characters didn't feel as developed as they should've- but the feeling of actually being right there in the world was great, which is something no other FF game I've played accomplished. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KiteGr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
KiteGr
Accepted Solution

IMO FF12 was the worst FF ever. It had a forgettable soundrack, almost zero character development, lots of grinding, a story about politics and an unbalanced battlesystem based on bureaucracy.

I found even FF10-2 more appealing than 12 for it's addictive Dress sphere battle system.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

I quite liked FF12 to play.. the characters were a bit boring though, and I didn't enjoy the upstatting compared to FFX... In FFX each character was unique, even when they'd been around the grid they still had their strengths and weaknesses... FF12? meh, just get a better sword/bow/dagger.

Tournasol was very time consuming to get (I did get it in the end) and no-one would ever do it without reading a guide.... Zodiac Spear was pure luck.. The dark katanas could take hours of farming until you were lucky enough to get them... the dagger, well I didn't even want to think of contemplating that task...

Celestial weapons could be frustrating sure... but were very satisfying to get.. (curse you chocobos/balloons)

FFX-2, while I'm sure the dressphere system had it's merits, the characters drove me batty by midway through Act 2.... and I dunno, but I felt like I spent hours statting Paine up as a Warrior to then swap to Dark Knight and no longer have a use for Warrior... and Rikku I wanted to keep true to FFX, but seemed to take forever to build up... Didn't like the game's equivalent of summons at all either..

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Akira_Tenshi

82%
04 Rank
Progress
Akira_Tenshi
Accepted Solution

Anyone who thinks FF 13 is any more linear than any other FF game clearly hasn't seen pulse. Like every FF game the game opens up towards the end. Most games are linear anyway it doesn't make them bad.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KINGRPS

24%
02 Rank
Progress
KINGRPS
Accepted Solution

all this final fantasy up to 10 had a world map, so why would you take it outand linear the game.

i spent at least over an 100 hours on the previous final fantasy games like 7 trying to find rare items

this is because the xbox 360 has got hold of the game,

i ain't getting the game if there no world map or side quest to do like star ocean 4 or the previous ff games up to 10, come on man, you cant go to different towns to buy items or equiment that's bull *****

i just hope final fantasy 13 versus had the following things that will make it a real final fantasy game, like world map, side quest do in different citys and in the world map, hiding skills magic spell sumoning etc, item making, weapon making, airship, boss fight like the weapons. 

i hope ff13v is like final fantasy from 1 to 10 with all the things from above comment, but still keep the battle system real time like kingdom hearts

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

Why do people continue to point the finger at the 360?... seriously, FFX was linear because it was a narrative focused game.. That's what this... A narrative focused game.

As someone else pointed out in one of these threads, it has a MGS4 style narrative.... Fight-->cutscene-->save-->fight-->boss-->cutscene-->save. The game is primarily a show case of gorgeous visuals, and character stories.

How the hell does the 360 get brought into this?... seriously.... The system which is apparantly so 'crap' yet is getting some stellar exclusives this year, not the least being Splinter Cell and Alan Wake.

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel