06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

The Complete Guide to Upgrading Weapons and Accessories

[ Edited ]
113 Replies 15,164 Views edited 19-03-2010

I've seen many questions pop up about upgrading your weapons, and accessories. Mainly about how to go about doing if effectively and economically, and some other questions.

Basics
To begin upgrading your weapon you must have reached a certain save point in chapter 4, the game then gives you a quick tutorial, but it doesn't explain much.

So, let's start at the basics, to begin upgrading your weapons, get to a save point, and SAVE YOUR GAME BEFOREHAND, then select "Upgrade".

You'll be taken to a menu with Upgrade or Dismantle, let's begin with Upgrade. Click it. You'll now see a list of your weapons, and be able to go down to your accessories, click on weapons, Each and every weapon you own has it's own Level, you will get them at Tier 1, Level 1, there are 3 tiers of weapons per character, the 3rd tier being 8 "Ultimate" weapons all having the same name, but different stats, depending on which base weapon you usd.

Components
You'll be taken to a list of components for your weapons, there are 4 types:

1. Organic [These boost the EXP multiplier for electronics]
  2. Electronics [These give high EXP, but reduce your multiplier]
  3. Transformers [These are used to transform your weapons into a higher tier]
  4. Premium Items [These should NOT be used in upgrading, and should be sold in shops for nice gil]

It's fairly obvious which is which, look in the name, if it sounds high-tech and electric, it's probably Electronics, if it sounds like it's from an animal, then it's organic, Transformers (usuaully sound like an ore, or metal) and Premium Items (usually Dolls, Perfume, Gold or Platinum) say it in the item description, so no problem there. Also, each class has it's own symbol next to each item in it's group, except for premium items, they are mixed in with the other groups, here is a list of items which should be sold:

• Credit Chip
  • Incentive Chip
  • Cactuar Doll
  • Moogle Puppet
  • Tonberry Figurine
  • Plush Chocobo
  • Gold Dust
  • Gold Nugget
  • Platinum Ingot

So, how do you go about upgrading weapons and accessories economically?

It's best to do it in bulk. Here's what I mean:

Step 1) Save your game. Seeing as your using this tutorial means you're probably still early in the game and can't just buy the materials, so SAVE YOUR GAME.

Step 2)
Go to the upgrade weapon screen, and select your weapon or accessory, then start throwing Organics on it until it pops up X3 multiplier, this gives you a 3 times boost on your next electronic upgrade.

Step 3) Go to the electronics and refer below to see how much EXP you need to get it to the top rank, do not get it to say, Level 17, this means you have to go and use more organics, so just boost it up to STAR straight away.

Step 4) If you don't have enough resources to upgrade to STAR, reload your game and try again later, or, reload your game and buy some electronics from the shops and try to get it to that STAR rank.

Okay, Understood? Probably not... Knowing my luck. Oh, and, It doesn't matter what you use to upgrade, no items give you unique stat boosts to the weapon.

Exp Tables

Weapons

Accessories

Extended Accessories

Note: EFS stands for "Exp for Star", this is the EXP required to get from Level 1 to Star.
For the accessories table, if you've got your accessory by making it yourself via a catalyst, to workout the XP for Star, see your accessories EFS, then minus the previous tiers EFS, this gives you a new number, which is your EFS.
Example: Selfmade Diamond Bangle (From Platinum Bangle) would be: 143200 - 75390 = 67,810, this means I will require 67,810xp on my Diamond Bangle for STAR.

The extended accessories link will send you to the raw spreadsheet on Google Docs which I uploaded, it gives you the XP difference between each and every level for each and every accessory, aswell as the max level for each one.

Shops
If you go to the shops, you're best choice for multiplier bonus would be Sturdy Bones, Barbed Tails and Vibrant Oozes, electronics however, varies on what tier you're on:
Tier 1) Supercharger - Cheap and Good Exp/Gil ratio, and ideal for Tier 1 upgrades.
Tier 2) Particle Accelerator - A bit lower Exp/Gil ratio than superchargers, but these give more bulk XP, preventing you from having to use multiple visits to the shops to get to STAR on tier 2 weapons
Tier 3) Ultracompact Reactor - Best EXP/Gil ratio, and give a huge blast of XP, a must-use for Tier 3 weapons due to the requirement of 1.5mish XP.

Dismantling
Dismantling can be very worthwhile, and very wasteful, due to the huge amount of variation on dismantling items, I won't put an entire list up as it will simply take too long to make.

To dismantle an object, be sure to save first, incase you regret it, go into "Upgrade" at a savestation and select Dismantle, pick which item you want dismantling and it will change into a number of items.

Here's a list of dismantles that might be worth the time:
Kains Lance (STAR) - 3 Trapezohedron, 36 Moonblossom Seeds
Nirvana (STAR) - 3 Trapezohedron, 36 Moonblossom Seeds

If you're finding it a pain to get Trapezohedron's from Adamantoises or buying them, these 2 weapons dismantle into 3 of them each, with 36 Moonblossom Seeds which you can sell for 216k.

Tetradic Crown (STAR) - Hermes Sandals
Tetradic Tiara (STAR) - Sprint Shoes

The only way to obtain as many Sprint Shoes/Hermes Sandals as you need, you can get Tetradic Crowns and Tiara's from Mission 7, he drops them both. Upgrade them to STAR and you can dismantle for Sandals/Shoes.

Energy Sash (STAR) - Ethersol
You can't buy Ethersols... or can you? By dismantling Energy Sashes you can, it's expensive but, Buy Speedsashes from Moogleworks for 5k each, and upgrade to Energy Sash, then upgrade it to max, dismantling it gives you an Ethersol and Black Mycelium.

Doctor's Code (STAR) - Elixir
There's only 1 elixir to be found in the game, but only 3 Doctor's Codes too, so if you want another 3 elixirs, along with 3 Ethersol, Aegisol and Fortisol, feel free, but be wary that you won't ever see a Doctor's Code again.

Goddess's Favor (STAR) - Ribbon
Ribbons are amazing, and you can obtain infinite of them! Buy an Entite Ring from Sanctum Labs for 120k, upgrade this to Goddess's Favor, fully upgrade that and dismantle: Ribbon!

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

MissSouthampton

• Beta Tester
95%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MissSouthampton
Accepted Solution

Yes I completed the circle so will just have to re-spawn the one then! :$

0 Kudos

Re: The Complete Guide to Upgrading Weapons and Accessories

/16

NEO-BAHAMUT-

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
NEO-BAHAMUT-
Accepted Solution
Yes unforutunately. Apparently the one at Eden is the best to use. If you play mission 63 and save it before the fight you can get a platinum ingot and gold dust for completing the mission which sells for around 60k.

Good Luck!
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

ArsenalMark

• Award Winner
95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ArsenalMark
Accepted Solution

NEO-BAHAMUT- wrote:
  There are now 2 Adamantioise left in the game. 1 at Eden and the other is mission 63 located at Sullyya Springs (sp).

Mission 63 isn't an Adamantoise, it's the weaker Adamanchelid.

You could try and use the Highwind method with Fang, just google "Highwind method Adamantoise" you'll get a bunch of links for strategys, you will probably need a max crystarium party and maxed weapons, aswell as some pretty good accessories to do it however.

0 Kudos

/16

BigBangBear

62%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BigBangBear
Accepted Solution
Great guide. I have been making a lot of use of it to save resources since all I have to do is get the treasure hunter trophy.

Don't know if this is still relevant, but mission 63 is an adamantortoise. At least it is for me. I replayed it a little at first because I wasn't having luck getting any spoils, so wanted the nugget for my trouble at least. Also this link: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/final-fantasy-xiii/43824-kill-adaman-gui-enemies-quickly-easy-cp-gi... is an excellent guide for all toise and gui's. I have had excellent success with all but the Shaolong.

/16

nani2k

32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nani2k
Accepted Solution

Great guide, I've just got my first ever platinum trophy with FFXIII

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

ArsenalMark

• Award Winner
95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ArsenalMark
Accepted Solution
Well done :)
0 Kudos

/16

stompy2003

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stompy2003
Accepted Solution

hey dudes i remember this trophy and thought this really spoilt the whole game ,i mean you spend more time repeatly at the same place, fighting the same creature, over, and over, and over on the hope it may or may not spit out an ingot ,than it took me to do everything else in the game .

i found it repetitively boring and it became a 60hour chore in the end

really if game makers want us to continue games after compleation give us some online.

or atleast somthing more deserving of our time

if they expect us to put the time in so should they 

0 Kudos

/16

Kiez

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kiez
Accepted Solution
Online for a story driven RPG? Wouldn't work. The game was fine as it was after completion. A trophy can't really spoil the game.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

ArsenalMark

• Award Winner
95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ArsenalMark
Accepted Solution

As Kiez said, the trophies can't spoil a game, if you're judging games based on their trophies you need to take a look at your priorities.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel