FOEHAMMERuk

84%
03 Rank
Progress

How GT Sport encourages me NOT to play

43 Replies 1,574 Views Created 2 weeks ago
09 Nov 2017
By FOEHAMMERuk

The SR system, it's obviously faulty. But it's also seriously encouraging me not to play.

Earlier today I fancied a couple of races, just before entering I seriously considered not playing as if I get hit my SR will drop and I'll be screwed for the nation' cup later.

But I thought no, I can't not play, surely the game can't be geared towards a player not playing!?!

Sure enough, first lap of first race and I come over a hill to find a ghosted car near  stopped in the track ahead, which then unghosts right in front of me, doing half my speed on a straight, I slam into the back of him, the guy behind into me. I get a 10 second penalty and SR dropped once both have finished battering me the duration of the race as what I can only presume as 'payback'

So I'm dropped back to the dreaded C SR rating.

Fast forward to tonight, I join the frankly stupid i30 nation's race and it's open bumper car season. I end up quitting as it was simply too much to bare, my SR going down even further despite me trying to avoid all the idiots.

I wish I'd never played earlier in the day. 

I've ever experienced a game that encourages you not to play before. It's quite unique. 

LABELS: Community
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mr_Tibblez

87%
03 Rank
Progress
Mr_Tibblez
Accepted Solution

That i3 race was a spectacular mistake. I mean, I get why it would be entertaining on paper, but in real life you need some serious skill to race those things without turning into a demolision derby. Slow, underpowered and with little grip, yeah that's bound to be a hoot for everyone.... not.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The5amKebab

86%
02 Rank
Progress
The5amKebab
Accepted Solution

SR system needs A LOT of work if PD want people to remain interested in this game because Sport mode is all it has going for it.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

95%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
The5amKebab
Accepted Solution

How you work that out....   The game has Private Lobby functions...

You can have very, very good races in those with people you know....  people of your own choosing...  you might get the odd bump here and there in a race, but you know that person and also know it was not deliberate.

There is more to the game than just Sports Mode.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The5amKebab

86%
02 Rank
Progress
The5amKebab
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

Oh so you have 15- 23 friends that can play with you at the drop of a hat like you get in sport mode? You're very lucky if you do because 99.99% of us don't ave that luxury. With that mentality you're saying lobbies are the solution and provide everything Sport mode does, which it clearly doesn't. Every other racing game has lobbies, if that were the solution then I would've stuck with Project Cars or something similar. The fact is this game was marketed around its Sport mode and the SR matchmaking system as the core element that would blow every other online racing game out of the water and provide the experience us racing fans wanted. People have bought this game for full grid races and the ease of matchmaking with like minded, similarly skilled, clean drivers (if you're in an upper SR) that was promised, not lobbies full of only 4 or 5 drivers which are at the whim of the lobby owner who can decide to disconnect or not start the race at all if they choose. I've tried the lobbies many times and its no different, only with less racers which ends up making the race feel like a time trial more than a race because everyone is so far apart from each other. That's why sport mode races are more populated than the lobbies. Yes you can get some good experiences in lobbies but only a fraction of the time and for the majority of us that bought GTS for the Sport aspect, lobbies don't come close to what sport mode can provide or has the potential to provide. We have bought this game based on the marketing and promises from PD so of course if they don't deliver then people will leave the game. You may be happy with your underpopulated lobbies but you're in the minority, there's plenty of other games that provide that just as well if not better.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

95%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
The5amKebab
Accepted Solution

Actually, I'm using a fresh new Account that I made for GT Sport...  being  GT-Ava

This new Account has only a few people at present on my list..  When I go to a Lobby, they have their friends there also.... play with those people and if they are clean etc.  You can add them to your own list...   it's not a huge problem finding people.

I've also started to play in Sport Mode, rank D A and the races that I have run today have been oki.   No major incidents worth mentioning about.

And if there was, it's not such a big deal, just move onto the next race and forget about it.

Guess, I'm a little more chilled about it than letting it get under my skin.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The5amKebab

86%
02 Rank
Progress
The5amKebab
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

You're not more chilled, you just haven't played sport mode enough to see what happens if you only started playing it. Plus you've probably bought this game for a different reason than most of us if you've only been playing lobbies. These threads don't apply to the minority like yourself that are just after the casual gaming experience, the majority have bought this game for the competitive online experience PD advertised it would provide. We are real racing fans and bought a game that was advertised as being a real racing simulator, the marketing videos even say word for word "We don't want just another game, we want sport", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnJtRYZ9-ZA

I'm glad your satisfied with this game but to assume everyone else has the same experience and bought the game for the same reasons as yourself is ignorant when its obvious from the mountain of similar threads on this board and other boards that we didn't buy it for the same reasons as you. If we did, then these threads wouldn't exist or we'd be playing a different racing game altogether.

Its like someone who casually plays football in the sand at the beach with their friends can't understand why people who are serious enough to play in an actual league with rules get annoyed when the rules are constantly broken. There are a lot of us that can't race in real life as a sport and this game was touted as the next best thing, to give us that experience, that's how it was sold to us so that's why there are so many disappointed, not the beach football casual players.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

95%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
The5amKebab
Accepted Solution

I'm not the casual driver you think I am....   that is totally wrong.

These 2 Accounts were made for driving.   Rarely play any other genre of games.

The Demo was a different matter and I made a Post saying that at the time.   But, the Full game....   I've not had these issues, maybe down to luck.. but the races have been well mannered.   It may get worse... time will tell.

I've followed a few cars tonight and avoided collisions when they have gotten it out of shape, overtake them and they have showed the same courtesy to me...  been some close battles along the way.

Yes.. the system needs to be adjusted and improved....  no argument with that.

The more that I'm playing the game, the more I'm liking it.

Sports Mode over Lobbies has been more fun today, my Garage Cars lack tuning to make them competitive.    But, I've been competitive in Sports Mode.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

el-ve

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
el-ve
The5amKebab
Accepted Solution

Lol Ava “casual” you must be a real sim pro...

FYI there’s a community event run by @RenegadeXtreme every week, maybe you could join that then you’ll have more people to play with?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

95%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
el-ve
Accepted Solution

Lol.    I've been called worse things than 'Casual' in the past.   PSML

Are you joining us??  We had some good battles last week.

Had some mishaps along the way with Gear Box Settings, few of the races were hitting the Rev Limiter, effectively loosing top end speed....   Aussie track has one long straight.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FOEHAMMERuk

84%
03 Rank
Progress
FOEHAMMERuk
Mr_Tibblez
Accepted Solution

Its definitely an issue when I'm considering not playing in order to keep my current ratings during a tourney. Especially when exactly what I feared might happen ends up happening! 

Still, as always, love the game. That' why I'm so vocal about what I'd like to see fixed 😂

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

R1961--

46%
02 Rank
Progress
R1961--
Accepted Solution

I agree its one off the most frustating things in the game.

there are also people fors you off the track on purpuse stange enough there is penalty for those losers.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

liquidlen1974

71%
02 Rank
Progress
liquidlen1974
Accepted Solution

I feel exactly the same, I have now dropped from B down to D because of the ghost car situation and the lunatics that drive further down the order. Nations cup tonight and I am braking at a perfect spot to turn into the corner, lunatic comes and rams straight into the back of me and I slam into the wall, so not only do I lose time but I also get the indignaty of a 10 sec penalty! So not right. Fed up! 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Molljnar

87%
03 Rank
Progress
Molljnar
Accepted Solution

I'm enjoying this game immensely and have been concentrating mostly on building my skills in the last few days. While I've been racing for years my ego thankfully allows room for improvement. I can say I have certainly had some fun with some of my forays into sport mode but the fact is  the inherent weakness of this and any online game lie with the actions of its community. Those who are unskilled or immature or just out to troll are having a detrimental effect on the enjoyment of GT Sport for many players. SR is a good idea in principle but unfortunately I just don't see it working as well as it should. All expert opinions suggest staying at the back so you can stay out of trouble and build up that SR rank and race against better quality drivers. Well I've been doing that and can honestly say I'm still seeing the same number of badly controlled cars, the same number of rammers and the same number of  little pricks just intent on ruining the game. I may well be building up my SR but I kind of bought the game to race, not to have a pleasant little trip out in the countryside!

If this game wants top appeal to the masses then great, but if so perhaps it needs an offline career mode as well. This will probably keep many of the irresponsible out of sport mode as they would be free to batter and barge their AI opponents out of their way to ultimate glory if thats all they want. In fact this would make a good learning tool, having to pass basic racing skills before gaining entry to the online sport mode. Of course PD would not want this as they need to make sure that there are always enough online racers. An offline mode would probably result in a long wait between races for the servers to fill up.

The only other answer if they want this to be a serious online racing sim is perhaps to take a leaf out of the real racing world. Punish bad racers for bad behaviour. Limit the bhp for offending unskilled drivers and encourage them to learn better judgement and control. Ram cars or aggressively bully your way past opponents too many times and get grid penalties. Keep on doing this and get say a day long ban. This would either encourage people to race more responsibly or leave. Either way the rest of the community will benefit.

Lobbies may work for some of us but not everyone. Plenty of people just want to play casually and do not have the time or desire to commit to regular races with a select few online friends. What many simply want is to have a few races with the expectation that everyone else will treat them with the same respect they show.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

95%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
Molljnar
Accepted Solution

Great write up....   

I'm doing the same, done the Driving School and now started on the Missions..

Just about to start Mission 4 Stages.

These Missions are indeed a lot of fun, and also competitive.  The races within these Challenges may not be Sports Mode, but I'm finding them to be as much fun...  Yes, they are a Traffic jam to get past, you are certainly learning skills to get past them cleanly as they are evil little buggers if you tap them.

I've driven these types of games for years, and still finding it hard to master...  I'm no Alien driver,,  always a few seconds a lap slower.  I also know that I will never get to that standard.

Seen replays of how they drive, tried to follow the Ghosts etc.  Shave a few 100's off my times, but as for seconds... ain't gonna happen.   

I'm left with the knowledge, that I can race cleanly for the most part, get taps here and there, but never intentionally.  

As for Sports Mode...  Nudging people off the track to win is a false win... it's not something to be proud of...  I could never take a win like that... a win needs to be won fairly.

Ava

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mr_Tibblez

87%
03 Rank
Progress
Mr_Tibblez
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

"Nudging people off the track to win is a false win... it's not something to be proud of...  I could never take a win like that... a win needs to be won fairly."

It reminds me of something John Hindhaugh from RadioLeMans said: "What you want to see on the racetrack is control, and running into competitors is not showing control, quite the opposite."

All these things Molljnar said, it rings true. In real world racing you don't get to continue if you can't race proper. You pick up the pieces and try next weekend. Should be the same here. If you crash hard enough to destroy the car, you should not be allowed to continue. 

Also I feel there should be leagues based on your skill. Like, you don't let a newbie driver out in a full-on GT3 racer. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

95%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
Mr_Tibblez
Accepted Solution

There are so many ifs and buts to this Sport Mode.

We all pretty much agree that the current system as good as it is, is not working too good.  The problem PD have is determining who is at fault..   We clearly know who's at fault, the System in place don't.

PD have opened up the game for everyone to race together...  Some don't want to learn and control a car, they want to get into the action straight away.  Me and @Molljnar are dedicated players who try to race cleanly.  We are also trying to improve our skills.

End of the day, it comes down to driving etiquette...   I have this....   if I'm approaching a corner, my foot is hovering on that brake pedal in anticipation of the car in front braking a little earlier than expected and I can at least react quickly enough to avoid a collision.  And if it does tap the car in front by mistake...  the closing speed has been so small, the the car in front has not registered a penalty, and I can tell there is no penalty as the car involved has never slowed down significantly.  A big 10 sec penalty is noticeable.

I really, don't know what PD can do, I've run so many scenarios in my head, but nothing is 100% workable without upsetting some drivers.

I like the old Grid game back on the PS3.  Hit a wall and a wheel falls off...  This would not go down very well in GT as bumpers would take advantage like they are already doing so.  Just wrecks your race completely as you cannot rejoin the Track.

Until PD can determine who really is at fault, can't see much changing for the time being.   Hopefully, given time...   only the more dedicated drivers will stay with PD.   But, I expect many will just give up as there will always be those drivers with little to no control of their car, that will ruin the game.  There is only so much you can take before you quit for good.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mr_Tibblez

87%
03 Rank
Progress
Mr_Tibblez
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

I dunno, some times I think I would be able to deal better with the resentment if I knew we'd both get DNF's, rather than watching the guy who took me and others out go on to claim a high spot. It's a tricky balance, I acknowledge that, but to me as it is now, it just has too much of the "arcade game" flavor.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

MastrGT

• MVP
97%
08 Rank
Progress
MastrGT
Molljnar
Accepted Solution

"The only other answer if they want this to be a serious online racing sim is perhaps to take a leaf out of the real racing world. Punish bad racers for bad behavior."

Good hosts can help the on-line environment by running with strong penalties and full damage. Loose and easy rules only make it easier for sloppy drivers to get away with things and not encourage everyone on the track to learn or to improve their skills. In open lobbies, that is always the way I set up mine.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Tassie_tiger

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Tassie_tiger
Accepted Solution

My 2 cents on the SR.

The rank of S is far too easy to achieve.

That is all.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DockerBigAl

70%
02 Rank
Progress
DockerBigAl
Accepted Solution

It's pretty simple really. On the roads in real life if you rear end someone the law states you are at fault. Always.

It should be the same in this game. Punishing racers for being rammed is beyond dumb. I think the player base for this game will disintegrate if this isn't fixed.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel