lcf2212

45%
02 Rank
Progress

Non-linear throttle in GT Sport - Why?

34 Replies 1,575 Views Created 12-05-2018
12 May 2018
By lcf2212

Does anyone know how to set throttle for a linear response?

The throttle input is too sensitive from 50% to 100%. In these conditions it is very difficult to control a FR car, where we need less sensitivity in that range of throttle.

I would like to know why GT Sport does not offer a linear acceleration experience, as it is in several real race categories, for example: F1, Nascar, Indy, GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4.

Does anyone know why?

Sincerely,

Senna

LABELS: Settings
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Azerach

• Beta Tester
99%
03 Rank
Progress
Azerach
Accepted Solution

Could a community rep forward this to the dev team? It is such an odd departure from literally every other sim out there.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Blindside92

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Blindside92
Accepted Solution

This is something that's been bugging me for ages with GT games. Using a standard DS4 controller it's noticeable too.

The braking is linear and good, but the throttle isn't; using the L2 and R2 triggers respectively.

The triggers respond differently (have different resulting amounts of braking and throttle in-game) through their ranges of movement.

Don't understand why it's been like this and wish it'd get fixed.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OutlawQuadrant

43%
02 Rank
Progress
OutlawQuadrant
Accepted Solution

I want to add my two cents about this matter.

I transitioned from GT6 to GT Sport back in March. Immediately, I sensed something was off with the throttle response but I wasn't sure what exactly. After some searching, I found an old thread in the GT Planet forums that helped explain the situation. In short, no matter what wheel and pedal set you're using, if you keep an eye on the in-game throttle bar and apply different amount of travel on the gas pedal, you may find out how much power you believe you're applying is not actually what you are getting in the game. A few have done more proper tests but my eye test shows these approximate results:

25% pedal travel - 12.5% throttle

50% pedal travel - 25.0% throttle 

75% pedal travel - 50.0% throttle

In all prior Gran Turismos and every other racing game I can recall, the amount one pushes on the gas pedal is around the same amount of acceleration you would get in the game.

Now, the big question is why something like this matters. I believe this type of mapping is the root of many underlying problems in GT Sport. These include:

1. Making the more powerful cars more difficult to drive: The way the throttle is mapped, it's too easy to apply power too fast resulting in a spin. It may not be as much an issue for highly skilled drivers but can make it a frustrating experience for the majority of people playing this game. Even if they try to adjust, then they are going rather slow off the corner which leads into the second point.

2. Incidents at mid-corner and exit: If someone struggles apply power smoothly, they're more likely to be slow off the apex until they straighten up their car. I have noticed multiple times in races that these type of drivers end up getting hit by behind by a faster driver and then get blamed for not accelerating at all. Even if there's no contact, the slower driver may realize the great disparity and become frustrated at their own performance. This happened with me the first few weeks playing the game and others had mentioned similar sentiments once I informed them of this issue.

3. Tire wear: Smoother power delivery means better tire management during a race, especially with the rear tires. With the current throttle map, it's difficult to modulate throttle input to compensate for tire degradation. This is a particular issue with the mid-engined cars and I believe not having more finite control exarcerbates the issues those cars already have.

I've tried to grasp the logic in making this change but it is my opinion that this causes more problems than it solves. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LKesan

40%
02 Rank
Progress
LKesan
Accepted Solution

I support this.

I thought I really suck at this game at first but looking into it i can finally blame my slower times on the tool when I changed to play with g29 instead of ds4 on the  throttle majority of my spinouts happen because ''you guessed it!'' tail spinning out.  My all time favourite is 911rsr on ds4 with tcs=2 it was amazing car now on g29 with tcs=1 it's uncontrollable at low speeds. ''but wait there is more'' Any other +500hp AWD/4WD car is easier to drive but i do feel the kick when pushing the throttle above 80%

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

HobbinHood

78%
02 Rank
Progress
HobbinHood
Accepted Solution

Just got my T300 and noticed the non-linear gas pedal, while putting in my first laps with the wheel. Never read about it before, so it's a bit upsetting.

Even more upsetting, when one reads that this issue wasn't there from the start with the Beta, but got introduced in the final version.

And despite the voice of the community about this being an issue, it hasn't been adressed, yet. And probably, it never will be, because they probably introduced this on purpose? Whatever that may be :(

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mr_Tibblez

82%
05 Rank
Progress
Mr_Tibblez
HobbinHood
Accepted Solution

My guess to the why would be, to "help" people be better drivers, anticipating how people generally react and the callibrating the throttle response accordingly. The problem of course is, they're doing the opposite.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PhoeniX-J-five

94%
08 Rank
Progress
PhoeniX-J-five
HobbinHood
Accepted Solution

I'm pretty sure I noticed it in the beta

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ElusiveVenom13

72%
02 Rank
Progress
ElusiveVenom13
Accepted Solution

Does anyone know how we get this thread  to PD?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

el-ve

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
el-ve
ElusiveVenom13
Accepted Solution

Yes!

It’s already here

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muhju

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Muhju
el-ve
Accepted Solution

PD doesn't have a community representative yet. I doubt they hang out on forums lol

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

el-ve

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
el-ve
Muhju
Accepted Solution

Yes they do. Right here.

lol.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

el-ve

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
el-ve
Muhju
Accepted Solution

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ElusiveVenom13

72%
02 Rank
Progress
ElusiveVenom13
el-ve
Accepted Solution

Does PD  have any acknowledgement of the pedal linearity problem in GT sport? For a sim game that should be one of the priorities. Is it a hard to change?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PhoeniX-J-five

94%
08 Rank
Progress
PhoeniX-J-five
ElusiveVenom13
Accepted Solution

Dunno. 

Maybe it might be worth tagging one of them in. 

@teramoto_pd, it would be really great if we could get some kind of feedback on this issue, as a lot of posts have been made on this. 

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel