50%
02 Rank
Progress

Penalties for being hit GT sport

112 Replies 7,328 Views Created 12-11-2017
12 Nov 2017
By pin727kos

OK guys it’s time to fix this *****.

It’s very frustrating you’re giving your best and some stupid people hitting on purpose from behind they don’t get any penalties and you get 10 seconds and you’re  SR go down. Is not any point play with those stupid rules  if you don’t fix this ***** up you need to give my money back.

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EstanisBR

34%
02 Rank
Progress
EstanisBR
Accepted Solution

I think the time penalty should be permanent, not temporary according to the speed reduction.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

barrylegg

85%
02 Rank
Progress
barrylegg
Accepted Solution

Because of the unfair penalty system, a player's SR goes from being something he wants to work on and improve - to being a trap that he can't escape - and the harder you fight it, the further it pulls you in.

Let's say you have a 'D' class SR; you're dropped in against other people that aren't particularly clean racers. If you have two or three bad races in a row where you keep getting rammed and the penalty system decides it was your fault (which it will, almost every time) you can end up with an 'E' rating just like that. 'E' class racers are even worse and those races are just absolute chaos. Everyone smashes everyone else. Sometimes you'll find you got hit by someone who got rammed by someone else! And you still got negative SR!

Guess what? You are now in the negative SR vortex. Every race you enter damages your SR and there is almost nothing you can do to get out.

So, that's why I've now just started entering the shortest daily races available and then just sit at the back, don't try to pass anyone, let everyone go past me and just finish the race in last place without touching anyone just so that my SR goes up. It sucks, but hopefully it's gonna put me in with a better class of racers. I managed to finally move out of E class yesterday after about 7 or 8 races on that Brazilian circuit. Hopefully I can get to C before long. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Malipiero1

96%
04 Rank
Progress
Malipiero1
barrylegg
Accepted Solution

You should use that tactic (of cruising at the back) in the 10 lap daily race. I did, and got my SR (which was down from S to E after several "demolition derbies") back up to B after just one race.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

barrylegg

85%
02 Rank
Progress
barrylegg
Malipiero1
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the tip. I incorrectly guessed that I would earn more +SR for finishing more clean races, rather than simply completing more clean laps. 

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

barrylegg

85%
02 Rank
Progress
barrylegg
Malipiero1
Accepted Solution

Can confirm this works. Went from a D to a B in just one 8 lap race by hanging out at the back and taking it easy.

Something I immediately noticed when I'm in a group of B racers; the penalty system is not on so much of a hair-trigger all the time. There were a couple of genuinely unavoidable bangs I was involved in, and neither me or the other cars got penalised. They absolutely would have been punished in a group E race.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Tassie_tiger

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Tassie_tiger
barrylegg
Accepted Solution

I'm not sure, but I think there is a bit of a fallacy that driving in a DR D race (for example) with SR S drivers is the same as driving in higher grade DR races with SR S drivers, in respect to a "clean" race.

Actually, I'll take that back.

I am sure.  

And it simply isn't.

If you truly wish to get involved in clean races, increasing your DR is the way to go.

Ignore your SR rating, that will follow instep in time.

Too many people are consumed by this stat.

In all honesty, driving around slowly at the back of the pack in a DR D event, simply to raise your SR, isn't going to get you anywhere.

And yet many people like to post this "solution" as the answer to a clean race.
But most people find this makes no difference in reference to having a clean race, and so they still complain about the end result, as if SR S should be some sort of magic bullet that cures all.

In my opinion, the rating of SR S is simply too easy to achieve/manipulate, and as it stands essentially means very little.

It definitely doesn't mean/guarantee a clean race, and certainly not in the lower DR events.

I understand that raising your DR is easier said than done.

But my advise is to find an event you like/are good at, practice-lap it until you feel it's simply the best qualy time you can do, and if it turns out you get regular high grid positions, binge race the event.  

I'm very particular with the Sport Mode events I participate in.

(Not trying to be clever, but after almost 300 Sport Mode races I have almost 100 wins. My point being, if I'm not fast enough in qualifying, I don't race. Perhaps that's being selfish, but concentrating on events I can qualify well in has put me into mid DR A level, and the odds of a "dirty" race are significantly reduced.)

Sometimes I have made bad decisions and lost DR and SR because I persist in a race I'm not griding well or driving well.

When I have made the right decision and raced a race over and over that I'm qualifying well in, it's almost a certainty I will enjoy consistent clean races.

Practice, practice, practice.

Don't enter until you feel you can do no better.

After that it's up to the GT gods.

If it's not working out, try another event or try again tomorrow.  

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

barrylegg

85%
02 Rank
Progress
barrylegg
Tassie_tiger
Accepted Solution

That may all be true, and hopefully I'll get into higher leagues before long - but the logical first step in getting there is making sure you keep away from SR-E racers, if only - as I mentioned previously - to get away from the crazy penalty system. There is no way the penalty system is as touchy in races with higher SR racers as it is with SR-E racers. 

That alone one makes it worth focusing on your SR for a minute.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Tassie_tiger

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Tassie_tiger
barrylegg
Accepted Solution

Well, I hear what you are saying.

And sure, get yourself away from low SR drivers as quick as you can.  

But I guess my point was not to be too hung up on hitting SR S in the false belief that regardless of your DR it will provide clean racing.

I'll admit it's difficult for me to fully understand the circumstances now.

But of course, at some stage in the beginning, I was there too.

So again my advice would be to ignore this obsession some seem to have with SR ratings.

As a race car driver your first priority should be results.

But ultimately, have some pride in your driving and drive as clean as you can, push for the best result you can, and all else will follow.

Do what you can to raise your DR level instead focusing on SR.

If you are a clean racer, taking a hit or two, or for that matter making a mistake or two as we all do, won't alter that over the long run.

At the end of the day this is just one guys opinion.

But deliberately piddlin' around at the back of the pack in a low level DR race it's difficult for me to see how that can get you anywhere.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
32%
02 Rank
Progress
bloodfirstkiller
barrylegg
Accepted Solution

I was at b 5 min ago drop it to c sr and dr due to people ramming me off track takes the ***** thay have no clue a bout non contact sport motorsport most of them not using the racing line nothing thay need something in place to resolve this only online were involved with sr and dr rating 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

barrylegg

85%
02 Rank
Progress
barrylegg
Accepted Solution

"At the end of the day this is just one guys opinion.

But deliberately piddlin' around at the back of the pack in a low level DR race it's difficult for me to see how that can get you anywhere,"

In the long-run, of course it won't. It's not like I'm advocating this as a long-term strategy - you just have to do it a couple of times and - voila - you're now SR-B category. Then you can focus on your DR without the frustrations of being forced to race against morons.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Tassie_tiger

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Tassie_tiger
barrylegg
Accepted Solution

Fair enough mate.  

I was just trying to prepare you for when you are in a room with all DR B/C and SR S drivers and yet you still get punted off track on T1, lap 1.  

The point being SR S really doesn't mean much.  

So focusing on it to the point that you deliberately drive slow behind the pack is simply wasting opportunities you have to increase your DR.

And in fact it is hurting your DR, condemning you to a longer time in those lower ranks.

In all honesty just get out there and race.

Trying to "game" the system for an SR rating in its current state is wasted energy and opportunities.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

barrylegg

85%
02 Rank
Progress
barrylegg
Tassie_tiger
Accepted Solution

You've made your point. 3 times now, in fact. Here's the gist of my position one last time, if after this you still think it's really something worth debating, I can't really help.

1. SR-D/E racers deliberately attack you while you are racing. You absolutely do not want to be in races with these people. SR-S racers with low DR may still drive poorly - but there is simply no way they can be as bad as SR-E drivers. Getting rammed at a corner because someone underbraked is not the same thing as being deliberately swiped at on the straights, over and over again.

Being put in with drivers with high SR but low DR would indicate that, like me, they're at least trying to race well. SR-E racers are not. Choosing between these two classes of competitors is a no-brainer. Well, I thought it was....

2. It really, really does not take long at all to get a higher SR. I did it over maybe 2-3 hours of playing. After that, you're good. Job done. Forget it. It's really not that much of time-sink.

And to be honest - all you have to do is avoid the pack on the first 1-2 laps and you'll end up sitting mid-field by yourself because the people who really want to fight just end up right at the back. You can then just use the race to improve your lap times. You're not really 'sitting at the back'. That was just a figure of speech.

As well as that - when you get to the results table you'll see you get bumped up 2-3 places because everyone in front of you didn't take their penalties! Seriously - there was a guy who had 19 seconds of accumulated penalties who finished top 5 and got kicked down to below me at the end of the race! 

It's really not that big a deal. After you've done it, then, as I've said a couple times now - you can focus on your racing with a bit less frustration and distraction. 

Seriously - if you've not been in an SR-E race, you can not understand how important it is to get out of that class.

Best, 

B

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Tassie_tiger

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Tassie_tiger
barrylegg
Accepted Solution

Cool mate.

My apologies if I've been harping.

The game is of course yours to play how you wish.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Tassie_tiger

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Tassie_tiger
Accepted Solution

As a general question for all, I would like to ask this:

What do you think SR S means?

What do you expect if in a room exclusively full of SR S drivers?

I think this may be where expectations and reality clash.

But hearing peoples thoughts could be valuable information for the developers who set these targets.  

I'm happy to state that I think the SR S level is set to low.

I would like to see it as difficult to obtain as DR S.

But that's only my opinion.

What's yours?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

barrylegg

85%
02 Rank
Progress
barrylegg
Tassie_tiger
Accepted Solution

The SR, in my view, should just be taken as an indication of someone's intentions and not their abilities.

SR-S may be 'easy' to get, but you don't get it by freaking out and swiping people when someone with more speed than you tries to pass cleanly on a straight. When I see an SR-E rating, it gives me all the information I need that this guy is not worth racing against. 

SR-S = trying to race clean.

SR-E = dedicated to driving like a child. 

Like I said; no-brainer.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

94%
10 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

I'll throw this out to you all....

DR is how you perform, start last and win... that Rating will increase, start first and finish lower down... that Rating will lower.

Lets say you have a Rating of C and every other driver is a D...  and you have Pole.

How does your Rating go up if you never get to pass another car on track, every other car is showing slower lap times...  you are basically just doing Hot Laps..   

Won't your DR just remain static??

I've barely touched these races as I've a wheel issue that is practically destroying my game play....  some days it's better, some days it's navigating a Hovercraft around a track and praying to keep all four wheels on track.   Anyways, I'm at DR D with SR A after less than 5 races.   It has remained at this Level for weeks as I've not touched Sport Mode....    I shall continue once the wheel is fixed and try to figure out how this system really works.

Ava

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Tassie_tiger

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Tassie_tiger
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

It's not an easy system to understand.

My thought's are that it's an expectation of your result, and how you stack up against those expectations.

So if you are a DR B and in an event with nothing but DR D drivers, you are expected to win.

If you do, well done, but the system won't grant you many points.

If you fail, you will surely significantly drop points.

And as with all levels traditionally with GT, the higher the level the more "points" between levels.

So if you are DR A and you win against a couple of DR A drivers and the rest DR B drivers, good luck working out if you actually gained any points for that race.

No doubt you did, but the gain is hard to see. 

It is clearly more obvious the ups and downs in the lower levels.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Malipiero1

96%
04 Rank
Progress
Malipiero1
barrylegg
Accepted Solution

And in line with that, here is a literal quote from the paragraph on DR in the online manual: "This is an indicator of the player's "speed". There are six different ratings in total: E, D, C, B, A, and S. E is the lowest rating, and S is the highest. Achieving good results in Sport Mode races will increase your Driver Rating. Your rating will decrease if you fail to achieve a certain level of results. Please note, however, that unless your Sportsmanship Rating meets the required standard, your Driver Rating will not increase, even if your results are very good." (my emphasis). I think this speaks for itself. It seems a good strategy to me, to first make sure of a decent SR (B at least), and then start working on your DR.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

94%
10 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

@Tassie_tiger

@barrylegg

SR S  driver is a driver that has avoided being shunted off track or shunting others off track (making contact).

SR S don't really mean you are better than other drivers....  just means you have been clever and not made contact with other cars and not let them contact you.

An SR E driver could do that strategy and rise through the Ranks very quickly.  But Does it make you a better driver??

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Tassie_tiger

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Tassie_tiger
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

Well there is the catch.

It isn't about being a "better" driver, it's about showing sportsmanship.

Creating an algorithm to encompass that isn't easy.

PC games struggle with this issue, let alone limited console hardware.

If you create a black and white rule, eg, "I was hit from behind, it wasn't my fault", you know what would happen.

People being as some people are would play that and brake check anyone that threatens to take their position away.

I understand there are failings in the current GT system, but hopefully most also realise it is an incredibly difficult problem to solve.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

94%
10 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
Tassie_tiger
Accepted Solution

The real world of racing has telemetry as in F1 to figure who is at fault...   This is a Console game trying to do the same....   A real person will make the decisions in F1 ....    GT Sport does not have this....

Sport has done a good job really, oki a little flawed in places, but racing is as good as ever if not better.   I'm certainly lovin' this game.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel