80%
02 Rank
Progress

Annoucement of PS3 system software 3.00

[ Edited ]
82 Replies 1,503 Views edited 19-08-2009
19 Aug 2009
By Mystic_Egg

Gamescom marked the recent announcement of the software upgrade of 3.00 which is due to be released in September 2009. This new software adds a number of great new features that we’re excited to share with you. The latest update incorporates changes that improve navigation on your PS3. First, you’ll notice aesthetic changes to the design of the XMB. We’ve enhanced the look and feel of the XMB so that it’s easier and even easier to use. We’ve also added network improvements and personalisation options to help enhance your PS3 experience.

Additional highlights from update 3.00 include:

• “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
  • Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
  • Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
  • PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
  • Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
  • Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

*Video from blog.us.playstation.com

Mystic_Egg

Message Edited by Mystic_Egg on 19-08-2009 01:47 AM
1 Kudo
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
sektanz
Accepted Solution

Some nice new features there....I wonder if the LBP theme will be free?

0 Kudos

Re: Annoucement of PS3 system software 3.00

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mystic_Egg

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Mystic_Egg
Accepted Solution
Im really looking forward to this update though my question to this PlayStation community; what are your favourite features in this update and what are you still looking at as an addition?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SinsToJudge

• Beta Tester
92%
05 Rank
Progress
SinsToJudge
Accepted Solution

The new moving themes are cool. I hope ND does an Uncharted 2 one :P

I love the particle effects of the original XMB theme too, very classy. And new avatars can't hurt either :D

The only thing I'm slightly annoyed about is how you'll start at the "What's New" tab at start up. I use my PS3 for games most of the time, I much rather just start there.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Timesplitter_01

• Beta Tester
78%
04 Rank
Progress
Timesplitter_01
Accepted Solution
TO be honest I want cross game chat.

Dont really care about the other features in 3.0
0 Kudos

Fix R18+ Ratings

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AussieMonster

60%
02 Rank
Progress
AussieMonster
Accepted Solution
Those are some pretty good features but I hate the shortcut icons to the store. Thats just adding useless and unnecessary clutter to the cross media bar.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

benoco

57%
02 Rank
Progress
benoco
Accepted Solution

Concur with SinsToJudge and AussieMonster

A PS Store Icon in Network, Vid and Games now? Excessive, and just makes me think of desperate push to get people buying stuff. I know where to find the store, thank you very much! :manhappy:

Also would rather have it open to the last menu I was at (like we have now). I'm a gamer, and it opens fine in the 'Games' section on the XMB now ... so why do I need another (let's face it, ugly) interface from which to launch my games?

But ... Dynamic Themes! More Avatars! A PSN status bar! And sparkles (who doesn't love sparkles?) on the default background! 

The update we had to have. 

-- benoco

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

agunzi

• Beta Tester
95%
04 Rank
Progress
agunzi
Accepted Solution

I like the straight to games addition,saves time :)

Sounds like this is one of the better ones they have done for awhile. 

0 Kudos

The Predator is THE most awesomest movie Alien ever! Period!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

benoco wrote:

Concur with SinsToJudge and AussieMonster

A PS Store Icon in Network, Vid and Games now? Excessive, and just makes me think of desperate push to get people buying stuff. I know where to find the store, thank you very much! :manhappy:

Also would rather have it open to the last menu I was at (like we have now). I'm a gamer, and it opens fine in the 'Games' section on the XMB now ... so why do I need another (let's face it, ugly) interface from which to launch my games?

But ... Dynamic Themes! More Avatars! A PSN status bar! And sparkles (who doesn't love sparkles?) on the default background! 

The update we had to have. 

-- benoco

But the place where it defults to will have your recently played games listed there so you can just more onto the icon hit x and you launch into that game. So essentilly whatever function you use most will appear there.

I think the PSN store icon under video is a good idea, for me it a move made with the future in mind. Their new digital video distrabution im sure will be integrate with that. It would be nice to see what the latest movie added is without having to launch the store. The same goes for new games.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MJDUDE21

25%
02 Rank
Progress
MJDUDE21
Accepted Solution

Cool Features, but what about croos game chat, chat with mates while playing different games, that is what psn needs to be the best, these features are still awsome thou, hope to see more amazin features like these:-)

Message Edited by MJDUDE21 on 27-08-2009 09:48 PM
Message Edited by MJDUDE21 on 27-08-2009 09:49 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CharcoalDragon

88%
03 Rank
Progress
CharcoalDragon
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

Beyond The Grave Website

CD.
I'M BACK. Been on a ~3 year break with occassional visits. Looking forward to good times in 2013.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

CharcoalDragon wrote:

http://www.community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=bANZ_PS3_general&thread...

read this, it will crush your dreams. 

You just killed a little peiece of me. But how could people have not guessed EA from the frist post. Why didi they need the coeded message. I thought everyone already knew EA were rubbish.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fantasy4me

60%
02 Rank
Progress
fantasy4me
Accepted Solution
I'm buying the Playstation 3 slim in three days time do I need to update the system software to 3.00 as soon as I get it out of the box, anyone know?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Deevo

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Deevo
Accepted Solution
The PS3 Slim will not come with FW 3.00 preloaded so if you want it, you will need to update it when you connect to the PSN for the first time.  Of course, if you don't want it you can always just not connect to the PSN.  I expect this will be a mandatory update, differing from the last one which was optional. 
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FlaminDave

60%
02 Rank
Progress
FlaminDave
Accepted Solution

does the psp get a fancy looking update to match? is there any more psp-ps3 compatabily funtions? i know i can play high stakes poker on my psp directly from my ps3, is there any other games that let me do this, can you make more to do this, as its fun to lay in bed and still play my ps3 via psp

will sony be releasing the blu-ray fix patch for pain with all these updates??? cause ive paid for updates that do not work

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BrophNZ

80%
02 Rank
Progress
BrophNZ
Accepted Solution

Mystic_Egg wrote:
Im really looking forward to this update though my question to this PlayStation community; what are your favourite features in this update and what are you still looking at as an addition?

Favourite features in this update, would probably be the 'What's New' bar up the top - will have to see how this goes though.

What I would REALLY like is for the Avatars to be stored on the PS3 hard drive so that the XMB would not have to load them up and take ages every time; This would also help when selecting a new avatar instead of having to wait for them all to load. 

I would like that while playing a game in the XMB, and you go to your message box and inbox then read an unread message.. I would like that by pressing 'BACK' (circle) it goes back to your inbox - not the original XMB (as then it takes ages to load your messages again).

I would like more 'subject' room in a message - as most of the in-game messaging is done by having the whole message as the subject so it shows "the whole message" on the other persons screen i.e. 'Join'. Or (this would be better) - Have a combination of buttons (for example, L1 + R3) to have the message expand in the top right of the screen with the game still going and then L1 + R3 to close it again and go back to the game. [of course, the game would pause like if you were to go to the XMB - but not for online].

Have 'party' voice chats; same as text, but voice. Do not worry about not being able to talk to other people in the game; as no one really uses voice for specific team-work - not that other people would listen anyway. Take CoD4 for example.. you have a party of 6 players in a CoD4 lobby + all of you are in a voice chat party - all the other people in a game would be muted (by default) and to the other players that aren't in your voice party, your voice-chat icon won't show up (so they'll think you don't have a microphone) - if you want to invite someone to your voice chat - send a message to the person, and include a password. Have a maximum of 10 or so or something.

Have a 'reputation system' like the Xbox 360 - This would of put 'hackers' off that decided to use the glitches in CoD4 recently.

All I can think of now, but in my opinion, the PS3 needs alot of work.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Pretoria

• Beta Tester
98%
04 Rank
Progress
Pretoria
Accepted Solution
In the blog movie the Dynamic background looks awesome, I have been waiting for this for quite some time now. I am hoping there will be some really awesome GT ones when the game is released :-D
0 Kudos

Pretoria Sig

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CharcoalDragon

88%
03 Rank
Progress
CharcoalDragon
Accepted Solution

i like that they moved the control battery indicator, that's what i read on the blog.

also what gets me about the recent games option on the 'what's new' is if you're using discs, you still have to change disc to play the game you want (obviously HDD games are an exception) 

0 Kudos

Beyond The Grave Website

CD.
I'M BACK. Been on a ~3 year break with occassional visits. Looking forward to good times in 2013.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BrophNZ

80%
02 Rank
Progress
BrophNZ
Accepted Solution

CharcoalDragon wrote:

i like that they moved the control battery indicator, that's what i read on the blog.

also what gets me about the recent games option on the 'what's new' is if you're using discs, you still have to change disc to play the game you want (obviously HDD games are an exception)

I agree. He said in the 'Whats New' section, you can launch your previously played games from there.... Well..... it really isn't that hard to just go across one and select the CD that's in the PS3 drive.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
sektanz
Accepted Solution

My understanding from watching the video is that only games played from the HDD will appear in the "What's New" board (ie disc based games won't appear there anyway).

Edit: sorry I was wrong......he does say discs :)

Message Edited by sektanz on 19-08-2009 04:51 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Desudro-Xuror

93%
05 Rank
Progress
Desudro-Xuror
Accepted Solution

heres another video walkthrough of the 3.00 update

contains more footage of themes

1. lbp theme
  2. random silly face theme
  3. tiki man from Pixel junk monsters theme

but still no footage of the changes to the friends/trophy lists, or footage of the new avatars

however one difference between this video and the PS blog one is the location of the "Whats New" feature

PS blog has it above "account management" where as this video has it below

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-379993.aspx?CT=1

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel