Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 131

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
23 Nov 2009
By Ginger_Kid_2000

Ginger_Kid_2000

  • Offline
75%
04 Rank
Progress

PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

23 Replies 4,224 Views Created 23-11-2009
23 Nov 2009
By Ginger_Kid_2000
"Two days ago some slides from an investor meeting outlining a new subscription model were picked up on the Web. The slides caused many to question whether Sony is planning on charging for PSN service on the PS3. Today Sony confirmed that the company is planning on bringing an optional premium level service to the PS3.

I wrote several possibilities for the new subscription model recently. According to Gamespot, Kaz Hirai, CEO of SCE confirmed plans of creating a new premium PSN service some time next year. Hirai assured PS3 owners that the current PSN service will remain free and the company has no plans to charge gamers to play online.

According to Hirai, the new PSN subscription will offer premium content and services. The “services” part has me intrigued as it implies something else beside the additional content.  My best guess is the long rumored PSN game and movie rental subscription service.

Gamers have noticed several months ago that PSN games started coming with expiration fields in the information section, which lead to the speculation of a game rental service. If true, this may be a great reason for consumers to try out games before buying."

 

Source:

 http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/11/23/ps3-premium-psn-subscription-confirmed-with-more-details/

Reply
0 Kudos
Reply
LABELS:
Have a look at their MySpace Page:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
05
/16

GraphiteGB

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
96%
05 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution
As long as its a plan for a world Wide version this time and not just Japan. The US having it all to them selves With there current PAY TO PLAY service was not fair. but you can't blame Sony.
Japan and Europe never got there versions due to the services being Contracted out. Future publishing Never secured the EU version and has continued to delay it over and over. Its changed name to many times. So if sony replace Qore wonder if the subscriptions will just end.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
04
/16

burtie80

  • Offline
80%
04 Rank
Progress
burtie80
Accepted Solution
Very interesting, and also good that they will continue the free service too.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
05
/16

Pacman_Ownage

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
98%
05 Rank
Progress
Pacman_Ownage
Accepted Solution
Meh, we all knew it was coming eventually.. but as said.. as long as i can do everything i can do now.. fine.. otherwise, SONY can shove online content :P
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

marcd23

  • Offline
92%
02 Rank
Progress
marcd23
Accepted Solution

You know what, Im pleased about this.

 

Sony are losing money through the PS3, and with the premium PSN, maybe, just maybe, Sony will improve on the level of content that we get.

 

Let's just see if they try to make us pay through the nose for it or not!

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

Seven-sins-150

  • Offline
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Seven-sins-150
Accepted Solution

marcd23 wrote:

You know what, Im pleased about this.

 

Sony are losing money through the PS3, and with the premium PSN, maybe, just maybe, Sony will improve on the level of content that we get.

 

Let's just see if they try to make us pay through the nose for it or not!

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

They aren't losing any money! :| THey've been getting profit through the PS3 starting september 1st or even before that after the slim was announced they were getting $49 or so in profit with each unit sold. I know it's going to take a while until they can recover their huge loses from the PS3.. but it's well worth it. 1 million slim sold in 2 weeks.. thats good. :)

 

PSP Go on the other hand... :| Why make it when they've just announced PSP 2? X_X 

 

And a Subscription fee won't necessarily boosts their profit.. :| 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

Seven-sins-150

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Io-BALLiSTiC-oI
Accepted Solution

Maybe faster download servers for people who pay?

 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

===========================================================
100Mb:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2158440796.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1409198937.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/44545948.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
05
/16

GraphiteGB

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
96%
05 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution
nope the only way to get faster connection to PSN is to move house, that way the Internet back bone trace route wont go thought the crap bottle necked Network to PSN servers it currently does at your current location. Then you can join many FTTH users getting 100Mb/s from PSN. Thats True Fibre speeds...with real 100Mb/s upload speed as well thats not limited to <2Mb/s..
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

Seven-sins-150

  • Offline
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Seven-sins-150
Accepted Solution

As long as online gaming, friend list and browsing the PSN store or vidzone is free I'm fine with it! ;)

 

Good plan for Preminum subscription but I don't think alot of people are going to use it.. only People who uses their PS3 for almost everything from downloading songs to movies to games, pictures and such! and gaming of course. :P 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

Seven-sins-150

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
04
/16

Ginger_Kid_2000

  • Offline
75%
04 Rank
Progress
Ginger_Kid_2000
Accepted Solution

Seven-sins-150 wrote:

As long as online gaming, friend list and browsing the PSN store or vidzone is free I'm fine with it! ;)

 

Good plan for Preminum subscription but I don't think alot of people are going to use it.. only People who uses their PS3 for almost everything from downloading songs to movies to games, pictures and such! and gaming of course. :P 


 

thats me!!

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

Have a look at their MySpace Page:

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

Seven-sins-150

  • Offline
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Seven-sins-150
Accepted Solution

Ginger_Kid_2000 wrote:

Seven-sins-150 wrote:

As long as online gaming, friend list and browsing the PSN store or vidzone is free I'm fine with it! ;)

 

Good plan for Preminum subscription but I don't think alot of people are going to use it.. only People who uses their PS3 for almost everything from downloading songs to movies to games, pictures and such! and gaming of course. :P 


 

thats me!!
:Lol: Ok. :P

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

Seven-sins-150

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

tooms109

  • Offline
92%
03 Rank
Progress
tooms109
Accepted Solution

Seven-sins-150 wrote:

As long as online gaming, friend list and browsing the PSN store or vidzone is free I'm fine with it! ;)

 

Good plan for Preminum subscription but I don't think alot of people are going to use it.. only People who uses their PS3 for almost everything from downloading songs to movies to games, pictures and such! and gaming of course. :P 


I do.

 

Especially if SONY start limiting content to free users .......And making the FREE online gaming option,much,much worse than the premium.....

 

Not saying they will ......But they will have to make the premium service far more attractive than the free one .......And the above methods would do the job .....

 

After all,those paying for a service would expect a lot more than the free users ....Its a fine balance,that SONY has to get right ........Or risk alienating alot of its core users.

 

Having said all that,i'm all for (sub fee) and have been since the ps3s launch.....

 

Anything that will improve the current FREE service is fine by me......

 

And maybe,just maybe,we will now get demos/trials for ALL PSN titles .....On the day of release. ...

 

But like you said,seeing as online gaming is already free on the ps3 ........I'm a bit debious on how they are going to make this attractive to current PS3 owners ....

 

Time will tell.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

sig

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Io-BALLiSTiC-oI
Accepted Solution

GraphiteGB wrote:
nope the only way to get faster connection to PSN is to move house, that way the Internet back bone trace route wont go thought the crap bottle necked Network to PSN servers it currently does at your current location. Then you can join many FTTH users getting 100Mb/s from PSN. Thats True Fibre speeds...with real 100Mb/s upload speed as well thats not limited to <2Mb/s..

 

Ahhh, you see, i dont have to move house to download at 6.3 MB/sec from PC servers or Xbox 360 Servers, but i have to for PSN?

 

 

And besides: My Colleges connection:

 

 

 

 

 

Yet when my friend brought his PS3 in for a Charity Event, he got no faster DL speeds than what i get at home...

 

 

(2 MB/sec)

 

 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

===========================================================
100Mb:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2158440796.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1409198937.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/44545948.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

SlapnutzUK

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
SlapnutzUK
Accepted Solution

As with the 360 it all depands on...

 

What your downloading

Who else is downloading it

Where it is being downloaded from

What else is going on with your internet connection

Having the OpenDNS servers added to the network settings

 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Io-BALLiSTiC-oI
Accepted Solution

SlapnutzUK wrote:

As with the 360 it all depands on...

 

What your downloading

Who else is downloading it

Where it is being downloaded from

What else is going on with your internet connection

Having the OpenDNS servers added to the network settings

 

 


 

 

On PC and 360 is anything im downloading.

 

 

There will always be other people downloading it.

 

From The Servers

 

Nothing else ever is going on with my connection

 

 

Dont Need that for my connection...

 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

===========================================================
100Mb:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2158440796.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1409198937.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/44545948.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

SlapnutzUK

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
SlapnutzUK
Accepted Solution

Io-BALLiSTiC-oI wrote:

SlapnutzUK wrote:

As with the 360 it all depands on...

 

What your downloading

Who else is downloading it

Where it is being downloaded from

What else is going on with your internet connection

Having the OpenDNS servers added to the network settings

 

 


 

 

On PC and 360 is anything im downloading.

 

 

There will always be other people downloading it.

 

From The Servers

yes but it depends, could be an EU server, could be in the UK, could be in France....could even be in Germany. The content is hosted WORLDWIDE.

 

Nothing else ever is going on with my connection

 

really I thought it was a public colleage connection?

 

 

Dont Need that for my connection...

 

 


See bold...

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Io-BALLiSTiC-oI
Accepted Solution

SlapnutzUK wrote:

Io-BALLiSTiC-oI wrote:

SlapnutzUK wrote:

As with the 360 it all depands on...

 

What your downloading

Who else is downloading it

Where it is being downloaded from

What else is going on with your internet connection

Having the OpenDNS servers added to the network settings

 

 


 

 

On PC and 360 is anything im downloading.

 

 

There will always be other people downloading it.

 

From The Servers

yes but it depends, could be an EU server, could be in the UK, could be in France....could even be in Germany. The content is hosted WORLDWIDE.

 

 

If im on the UK PSN, i think they are UK servers.

 

If not then its just stupid...

 

 

Nothing else ever is going on with my connection

 

really I thought it was a public colleage connection?

 

 

No, its my Home Connection, couple of miles away from College.

 

So no one esle uses it.

 

 

 

 

Dont Need that for my connection...

 

 


See bold...


 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

===========================================================
100Mb:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2158440796.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1409198937.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/44545948.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
05
/16

nextbigthing91

  • Offline
82%
05 Rank
Progress
nextbigthing91
Accepted Solution
Depends what they offer, I can afford a monthly subscription but i'm not paying it for something I wouldn't use :P
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Mallefus

  • Offline
29%
02 Rank
Progress
Mallefus
Accepted Solution

The DL servers are fine. 5MB/sec. that'll do. Why don't you upgrade your broadband.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

If I get YLOD ONE MORE TIME!!!!!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Io-BALLiSTiC-oI
Accepted Solution

Mallefus wrote:

The DL servers are fine. 5MB/sec. that'll do. Why don't you upgrade your broadband.


 

 

I'd like to see proof of you downloading at 5 MB/sec.

 

 

My connection can do 6.4 MB/sec but i get anywhere from 100 Kbps - 2 MB/sec MAX on the PSN, with an average of 800 kbps or so...

 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details

===========================================================
100Mb:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2158440796.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1409198937.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/44545948.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

Geachie

  • Offline
94%
03 Rank
Progress
Geachie
Accepted Solution

I heard that you will have to pay for cross-game chat.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Premium PSN subscription confirmed with more details



[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel