Problem Solved

View Original Post
23 Jun 2012
By drmorris79

drmorris79

92%
02 Rank
Progress

So how comes you have to pay to back up your save games now?

27 Replies 401 Views Created 23-06-2012
23 Jun 2012
By drmorris79

Demon souls. Dark Souls.

I have been playing these non stop as of late. Having got quite far in each title you can imagine my displeasure when it came to be that I have found out you can not back up your saves.

No problem you say. You can buy Playstation+

Why should I though?

Why do we have to PAY, AGAIN, to back up something so simple as a game save? Back in the good old days you'd have a thing called a memory card. Very simple premiss, put the card in the console, copy your saves for backup. Easy.

Now I find out that you have to pay fourty pound a year to keep your saves, what horse *****e is this? How did this ever come to be?

It makes me think is it even worth continuing to play games with protected saves on a PS3 system at all. Whats the point because if anything happens to that system your back, right at the start of most games you own and some of these can take up to forty hours, or more to complete.

It's pathetic that we are being forced to purchase a system that if by any chance you cant maintain you lose the lot in an instant.

Quite outrageous when you think about it. Now all I do when I game is hope my PS3 doesnt go pop, and where is the fun in that when trying to game and have fun?

Sort of missing the point of gaming there Sony, by a long shot. Games are meant to be fun, are they not? When did gaming become so tedious?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

Not all Ps2 game saves would copy/move so some you could not bvack up.

Clouds saving is a insentive to go PS+ if your not willing to pay then why should sony provide it?

Games are still fun and cloud saving makes it no different.

0 Kudos

Re: So how comes you have to pay to back up your save games now?

[ Edited ]

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

drmorris79

92%
02 Rank
Progress
drmorris79
Accepted Solution

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

Clouds saving is a insentive to go PS+ if your not willing to pay then why should sony provide it?

An incentive?

What? Thats not an incentive, thats blackmail on something that used to be free. You know, it's only integral to basic gaming having a save game that you can back up, for free.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

drmorris79 wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

An incentive?

What? Thats not an incentive, thats blackmail on something that used to be free. You know, it's only integral to basic gaming having a save game that you can back up, for free.

Cloud save has never been free on psn it has always been part of plus.

Neither has saving any game on a sony console you have always had to buy memory cards with exception to the ps3.

If it's such a big issue buy yourself a usb stick simple problem solved.

If it's a copy protected game & if should your ps3 die then you will either deal with losing the game save or take the stick out of your backside & get plus.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

drmorris79

92%
02 Rank
Progress
drmorris79
Accepted Solution

Muttykins wrote:

drmorris79 wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

An incentive?

Neither has saving any game on a sony console you have always had to buy memory cards with exception to the ps3.

If it's a copy protected game & if should your ps3 die then you will either deal with losing the game save or take the stick out of your backside & get plus.

So now I have a stick up my backside?

Jesus christ, you really are a member of the brain trust. Do you not get my point of not being able to back the saves up easily and without paying fourty pound a year or are you really that dense?

Some people are beyond help. I can see now mind you why your easily sold on PS+. Sony saw people like you coming a mile off...

..It's no wonder gaming nowdays to any person with any sense is a fast deminishing hobby. When simple things such as a game save are thrown out the window, your know things have got very bad.

I wont be getting PS+ to back my save up, thank you for being a Sony mule though. I'm sure they are over the moon with the free advertising you are giving them (And you paying for games you'll never truly own, or hold) Dont forget to keep topping up your PS+ though, wouldnt want you to NOT be able to play your games you bought and paid for when your account doesnt get paid for, muppet.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

chrisa3211

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
chrisa3211
Accepted Solution

drmorris79 wrote:

Muttykins wrote:

drmorris79 wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

An incentive?

Jesus christ, you really are a member of the brain trust. Do you not get my point of not being able to back the saves up easily and without paying fourty pound a year or are you really that dense?

Some people are beyond help. I can see now mind you why your easily sold on PS+. Sony saw people like you coming a mile off...

..It's no wonder gaming nowdays to any person with any sense is a fast deminishing hobby. When simple things such as a game save are thrown out the window, your know things have got very bad.

I wont be getting PS+ to back my save up, thank you for being a Sony mule though. I'm sure they are over the moon with the free advertising you are giving them (And you paying for games you'll never truly own, or hold) Dont forget to keep topping up your PS+ though, wouldnt want you to NOT be able to play your games you bought and paid for when your account doesnt get paid for, muppet.

Relax dude, Muttykins has a point - the PS3 is the first console that Sony have offered cloud saves on so, while it's the first time they've charged for a method of backing up data, it's not something that's ever been free.

Rather than take umbrage with the fact that Sony are charging for cloud saves, you should be complaining that some save data is non-copyable, because that's the thing preventing you from backing up your data for free, not the additional premium service that does allow it.

I agree that copy-protected data is unfair, but there are ways around it: PS3 direct data transfer, for example, while not possible or ideal in every case, does allow you to move those saves.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

drmorris79 wrote:

Muttykins wrote:

drmorris79 wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

An incentive?

You haven't a clue what you are talking about .

You DO NOT have to pay to back your saves as you can use a usb stick you are going round in cirlces but completely missing the point.

Plus is optional & no one is forcing you to use it.

As for paying for games i won't own where does that differ from renting games or films from any other service.

And at £40 a year it's a bargain considering out of my subscription to i have all fallout 3 dlc for free to keep & all of sam & max series to keep as well plenty of other stuff & dlc to keep.

Before you slate a service you should actually do some fact searching before you just dismiss it.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

drmorris79 wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

An incentive?

Yes it is a insentive.

Not our problem youe tight fisted with your cash.

PS+ offers a lot more than just cloud saves.

As already said you can back up your save for FREE to a USB drive.

Copy protected saves take it up with the developer/publisher.

Why should Sony gove you cloud saves for free?

It was added to PS+ as Bonus and to make PS+ mpre apealing.

Nothing dense about it, I was PS+ before cloud saves as PS+ was well worth it before and even more so now with cloud saves.

Nope not blackmail either cloud saves have never been free on PSN.

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

DANTE234

• Beta Tester
98%
04 Rank
Progress
DANTE234
Accepted Solution

Crusty is right, cloud saves have never been free and they will never be free ever.  It's the developers decision if they want their game saves copy protected or not.  You got 2 ways either get playstation plus or do a system backup via an external hard drive, they will save that way as well.  I'm afraid this is the future of gaming and eventually it will all go to cloud gaming after these next round of consoles

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

davey23

• Beta Tester
98%
03 Rank
Progress
davey23
Accepted Solution
What, you mean I have to buy my own usb stick? - Sony are a bunch of crooks!!!!!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Pacman_Ownage

• Beta Tester
98%
05 Rank
Progress
Pacman_Ownage
Accepted Solution

Memory cards for the PS1 & PS2 also... were not free if my memory serves me correctly... so... :|

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

Pacman_Ownage wrote:

Memory cards for the PS1 & PS2 also... were not free if my memory serves me correctly... so... :|

I remember the official 8MB PS2 memory cards were £20 at one point but were a necessity. 

Today you can buy any plug-in USB memory stick for few quid with 1GB storage to last PS3's life cycle. 

One thing that needs clarifying for save back-up is the PS+ icon should only appear after selecting copy. 

People who see the PS+ icon in save data utility without prior knowledge may think you can only copy to PS+ which isn't true for most titles.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

mont348 wrote:

Pacman_Ownage wrote:

I remember the official 8MB PS2 memory cards were £20 at one point but were a necessity. 

Today you can buy any plug-in USB memory stick for few quid with 1GB storage to last PS3's life cycle. 

One thing that needs clarifying for save back-up is the PS+ icon should only appear after selecting copy. 

People who see the PS+ icon in save data utility without prior knowledge may think you can only copy to PS+ which isn't true for most titles.

When Ps2 mem cards first came out they were £35 for 8MB:ScaredPumpkin:

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

drmorris79 wrote:

Demon souls. Dark Souls.

I have been playing these non stop as of late. Having got quite far in each title you can imagine my displeasure when it came to be that I have found out you can not back up your saves.

Why should I though?

Why do we have to PAY, AGAIN, to back up something so simple as a game save? Back in the good old days you'd have a thing called a memory card. Very simple premiss, put the card in the console, copy your saves for backup. Easy.

Now I find out that you have to pay fourty pound a year to keep your saves, what horse *****e is this? How did this ever come to be?

It makes me think is it even worth continuing to play games with protected saves on a PS3 system at all. Whats the point because if anything happens to that system your back, right at the start of most games you own and some of these can take up to forty hours, or more to complete.

It's pathetic that we are being forced to purchase a system that if by any chance you cant maintain you lose the lot in an instant.

Quite outrageous when you think about it. Now all I do when I game is hope my PS3 doesnt go pop, and where is the fun in that when trying to game and have fun?

Sort of missing the point of gaming there Sony, by a long shot. Games are meant to be fun, are they not? When did gaming become so tedious?

If you had actually read your manual you would know that you can save to a usb stick.

The plus cloud save is best used for copy protected saves which isn't any of sony's fault but the choice of the developer.

Or you could buy games that don't have copy protected saves so you won't lose anything if your ps3 dies.

Your attitude is very sad to be honest it not like the cloud save is the only part of plus but an additional thing you get with the service.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

drmorris79

92%
02 Rank
Progress
drmorris79
Accepted Solution

Muttykins wrote:

drmorris79 wrote:

Demon souls. Dark Souls.

Why should I though?

If you had actually read your manual you would know that you can save to a usb stick.

The plus cloud save is best used for copy protected saves which isn't any of sony's fault but the choice of the developer.

Or you could buy games that don't have copy protected saves so you won't lose anything if your ps3 dies.

Your attitude is very sad to be honest it not like the cloud save is the only part of plus but an additional thing you get with the service.

My attitude is sad?

What in the hell gives you the right to call my attitude sad? There seems to be only one sad person here my good man and that person seems to be you. Your willingness to throw money at a service where you are basically renting your games is the most saddest thing of all.

But the point of the thread was to ask why?

Why do I have to pay to back up my saves? I  really dont want an advert from you about the "Greatness" of this service. And if you had any clue at all instead of pimping such a gimped service you would know that Dark souls and Demon souls save games cannot be copied, or saved to a USB stick, period. I paid full price for these games, why cant I just back the saves up? I dont remember any games being like this on the PS1 and PS2.

But hey, for fourty quid, you can..

Disgusting practice. It saddens me your so in favour of such a thing.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Iiah

90%
04 Rank
Progress
Iiah
Accepted Solution

i'm not fan of copy protected saves as well as op. i don't expect free cloud storage for those saves (i assume op did not expect it too). when sony provided possibility to copy protect savegames, it should've come with option to easily back them up. NO... i don't want free cloud storage. i just want to be able to backup my saves easily to usb stick like non-protected saves. why no "savegame backup/restore utility" which backs up ONLY savegames (with option back up all/protected only) and could restore them to any other ps3 (including protected saves). i don't mind sony using encryption to protect backup file.

cloud storage is nice option though. i might consider paying for it should sony introduce some ps- (or whatever they like to call it) service which includes ONLY cloud storage and nothing else.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

drmorris79

92%
02 Rank
Progress
drmorris79
Accepted Solution

I think a few people are forgetting that the buying of an 8 Megabyte memory card was a one time purchase that you could infact copy your save games to and from and use on multiple consoles. You didnt have to pay fourty pound a year if I remember correctly..

I just want to be able to back up my save of Dark Souls and Demon souls. I'm not asking for world peace or the end of famine in third world countries, just to back them up so I dont have to start the games from scratch. It's not hard and I dont see why Sony have put a price tag on something so simple as this..

..And for christ sake I know you had to buy a Ps2 memory card, read the first part of my post...

For Sony to be able to hold you by the nuts over the sake of a game save is shocking. If you like that kind of thing then, erm, pay away I suppose?

I never thought gaming would get this tedious. It's meant to be fun, isnt it?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

drmorris79 wrote:

I think a few people are forgetting that the buying of an 8 Megabyte memory card was a one time purchase that you could infact copy your save games to and from and use on multiple consoles. You didnt have to pay fourty pound a year if I remember correctly..Not all game some were copy protected just like Ps3 game saves

I just want to be able to back up my save of Dark Souls and Demon souls. I'm not asking for world peace or the end of famine in third world countries, just to back them up so I dont have to start the games from scratch. It's not hard and I dont see why Sony have put a price tag on something so simple as this..Get onto the developer/publisher

Sony made it PS+ for a added insentive as already said

..And for christ sake I know you had to buy a Ps2 memory card, read the first part of my post...

For Sony to be able to hold you by the nuts over the sake of a game save is shocking. If you like that kind of thing then, erm, pay away I suppose?That's not Sony that is the developer publisher who locked the game saves

I never thought gaming would get this tedious. It's meant to be fun, isnt it?It's not tedius to be so tight and buy PS+ you won't regret it!

Below is a Signature

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Causton97

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Causton97
Accepted Solution

Personally, I think we should get a small amount free. Google drive gives you like 5gb free. Yes, that can be used for film storage though which is why it is so large. When you pay, you get 16 TERABYTES! For the ps3, as it is only save data, we should get, say, 50mb free? Then if you pay you get access to the other 100mb!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Causton97

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Causton97
Accepted Solution

As for copy protection, why don't devs let the copy protected saves be copied but upon doing so, make the sensetive bits that they want to protect encrypted and unreadable? Problemo solved!:smileywink:

Edit - Urgh. Just typed this on ps3. Gave it a title by accident!

0 Kudos

As for copy protection, why don't devs let the copy prote...

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

treymon

88%
02 Rank
Progress
treymon
Accepted Solution

drmorris79 wrote:

I think a few people are forgetting that the buying of an 8 Megabyte memory card was a one time purchase that you could infact copy your save games to and from and use on multiple consoles. You didnt have to pay fourty pound a year if I remember correctly..

I just want to be able to back up my save of Dark Souls and Demon souls. I'm not asking for world peace or the end of famine in third world countries, just to back them up so I dont have to start the games from scratch. It's not hard and I dont see why Sony have put a price tag on something so simple as this..

For Sony to be able to hold you by the nuts over the sake of a game save is shocking. If you like that kind of thing then, erm, pay away I suppose?

I never thought gaming would get this tedious. It's meant to be fun, isnt it?

By the nuts?

U S B  STICK

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel