27 Nov 2009

Playstation Staff

Watch all UK Freeview TV channels on your PS3 for free

14 Replies 42,015 Views Created 27-11-2009

Well, in response to the new advert from Xbox360 about watching Sky TV on Xbox360 I thought I would make my 1st contribution to this forum something useful, maybe you all know about this already and if this is the case please excuse my ignorance, this is my 1st visit to this forum.

Anyway, to the point of my post, to watch UK freeview channels through your PS3, very useful if you do not yet have digital TV switched on in your area yet as I discovered myself, is a very simple process, as long as you have broadband.

Step 1:- open "internet search" function from PS3 menu.

Step 2:- Enter " tvcatchup " to the search input box"

Step 3:- Click on the link given and open the tvcatchup.com homepage,

step 3:- press the select button on your controller and press X on the " (Add to bookmarks) " function

step 4:- On the tvcatchup.com homepage Select the button/link for "TV guide" or "channels" to choose what you want to view and click it,

Step 5:-Select the channel you want to watch and click the link to that page, watch the opening advert and once that has finished you can click the button at the bottom of the inset tv screen on the webpage which switches the picture to fullscreen, the same as youtube etc.

Step 6:- Watch your Program :smileyhappy: .

The quality of streaming on this site is generally good quality, I actually get a better picture on this than through my TV ariel on analogue signal when the weather is bad and it has given me access to all the freeview channels, streamed live, without having to buy a special digital antenna or a satalite dish using the PS3 and broadband line I already had for my PC, a totally unexpected bonus function which is currently seeing more use than any other while I wait for them to switch on the digital TV in my area. :smileyhappy:

I hope someone finds this useful, it may not be Sky TV but if all you have, like me, is analogue terrestrial TV the extra 40(approx) channels are wonderful.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (42,015 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Watch all UK Freeview TV channels on your PS3 for free

Hmmm doesn't sound legal.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (42,017 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

lynchy59 wrote:
Hmmm doesn't sound legal.

Yeh its legal ive been using it for months

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (42,011 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

So it is as long as you have a license.

But also there's a difference between legal and not being caught using it lol :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (41,979 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Isnt Freeview buidlt into tvs anyway. I have sky and i don't see the point of watching tv through your consoles.
I cant be bothered to think of a good signature.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (41,976 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Freeview for free?!

No way!

:smileyindifferent:

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (41,958 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

http://iphone.tvcatchup.com/ tbh

More useful than watching it on PS3 

Photobucket
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (41,956 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yeah, it's built into my 42" flatscreen TV already but it aint been switched on in my area yet as I live in an area covered by it's own transmitter which wasn't even powerful enough for them to give us channel 5 when it came out so we've been limited to Sky or 4 channels of terrestrial. Being able to watch freeview channels through the internet, on my big screen TV is a huge bonus use of the PS3 to me while I wait for them to get round to switching it on in my area, and when they do I will not get the full range of freeview channels, again due to that limited transmitter size, but I will still have those missing channels available on my PS3.  My post is meant for others in similar circumstances I hope it helps a few people out anyway.

As for the legalities, it is the same as watching any live TV transmissions of any kind or any  streaming of LIVE TV through the internet, you do need a TV license yes, but you need a black and white TV license just to listen to a radio so I doupt it makes any real difference. If you don't want to pay for a license you are limited to recorded media only. Hmm, it does mean that if you stick to only watching videos from playstation store or downloaded recordings or DVD's/Bluray's you wouldn't need a TV license.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (41,888 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Its entirely legal as these are all services you are able to get from the respective channels website anyway (much like the bbc iplayer, and unless you are streaming live feed there is no need for a tv licence, but then again if you are watching this on your ps3 which will be hooked up to your tv , then why would you not have a tv licence anyway?.....
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (41,831 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

aha cool. Actually in my house ( i live alone) I have a tv rigged to my ps3 but i do not have a tv liecense or the ability to receive broadcast as the house has no ariel. So i just watch bbciplayer and dvd's. So what the OP is on about is very handy for me, thanks alot! 

And as far as i'm aware you don't need a tv liecnse to watch catch services like iplayer or even need one to listen to radio. 

If you don't try you can't fail but then you can't win either.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (41,800 Views)
0 Kudos