Level 6

Re: Android discussion thread.

ratchetnclank wrote:

Time to root james.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/htc-hero-wont-see-upgrade-to-android-2-1-until-june-at-least-i/

Mine thankfully came rooted when I bought it so a custom ROM should be easy enough loaded, thinking about the Villain 5.2 ROM.
Pretty peeved at HTC, this update is now over 5 months late from when they initially said, makes me think about not buying HTC again.
Hopefully you Desire users don't get shafted over stuff like 2.2 onwards, this is where the Nexus One holds a trump card over all other Android phones.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 1,361 (831 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Ive been running custom roms since I got my hero, When i got my hero there was a problem with memory and background apps grinding the phone to a stutter (and its why a lot of reviewers slated it as slow and laggy).

There was also a problem that wifi tethers apps wouldnt work on rooted heros, they needed the custom rom for some strange reason. So i stuck apps2sd and all that stuff on it, put 3 partitions on the memory card, got it running just right.

I dont think i broke my warranty by putting a custom rom on it, but ive been rocking custom roms ever since.

Forget about google navigation, It doesnt interest me, I hope they release the update soon because it has better bluetooth software/drivers/support.. although i read reports it will be a while.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 1,361 (820 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

You can take screenshots directly from your phone without having root access. Unfortunately you can only take screenshots of your home screens and you have to buy a Home Replacement application. I have Open Home (although it's currently not installed on my phone) which allows me to take screenshots of my home screens, I would imagine all the other Home Replacement apps allow for the same.

My favourite apps are probably Opera Mini Browser, much faster than the default browser and Pocket Blu which is just an app which allows you to control Blu Ray movies (which support the app) from your phone. :smileyhappy:

I don't think i'll be getting anymore updates. My G1 can't handle em no more. Cupcake is as far as I can go. :smileysad:

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 1,361 (814 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Got my Desire today, it's excellent so far! I've spent most time just linking accounts and setting homescreens. Can anyone give me a tip to transfer videos? Can't see a specific folder for them and haven't come across a player either :smileyfrustrated:.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 1,361 (785 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Got a HTC Hero here, rooted, running Sense 2.1: http://tinyurl.com/3x45afr

It's VERY good.  Even Hero with 1.5 is WAY better than my old iPhone 3GS.

Also you can get Dropbox for Android now..  (It's in Beta).

I got some free 2Gb referal codes:   http://tinyurl.com/Dr0pB0x2

YAY! I finally worked out how to have a picture signature!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 1,361 (775 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

I tried SenseHero and Villain 5.3 but just couldn't get along with them for some reason, something didn't feel quite 'right'.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 1,361 (770 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Did you try the SenseHero 2.1 v2 that was released at the weekend?  it fixed the keyboard lag problems, and looks alot tidier...

I only rooted because HTC were dragging their heels, and I wanted Google Navigation (and Google goggles), which are Android 1.6+  So the Modaco rom is no use to me.

YAY! I finally worked out how to have a picture signature!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 1,361 (765 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Soon as desire gets rooted i'll be rocking custom ROMs. Something addictive about flashing new ROMS xD.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 1,361 (749 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

shanethegooner wrote:

Yay :smileyvery-happy:

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sorry to be such a noob, but how did you get the subscription feed to these forums, ive tried the key work search but I cant seem to find it.

Mike Starr 1984–2011
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 1,361 (726 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Zalohuw wrote:

shanethegooner wrote:

Yay :smileyvery-happy:

Sorry to be such a noob, but how did you get the subscription feed to these forums, ive tried the key work search but I cant seem to find it.

I typed the RSS feed into a new note using a notepad app. Then copied and pasted the RSS feed into the News Widget.

Tried typing it straight into the New Widget but I couldn't type any more after a number of letters so that was the only way I could find to do it. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 1,361 (718 Views)
0 Kudos