16 Aug 2012
By fenian
Playstation Staff

Assange Asylum

18 Replies 378 Views Created 16-08-2012

So Ecuador has granted Assange asylum on the grounds that his human rights were breeched.

Do you think the police should go in to get him, do you think they should arrest him if he leaves in a diplomatic car?

I don't think they should. I dont think anyone should enter the British or Irish embassys to arresst someone we granted asylum or enter our cars with diplomats. I think its a disgrace if they forcefully remove someone from Ecuador territory who has been granted asylum on human rights grounds.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19 (378 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: Assange Asylum

amen
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19 (369 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

fenian wrote:

So Ecuador has granted Assange asylum on the grounds that his human rights were breeched.

Do you think the police should go in to get him, do you think they should arrest him if he leaves in a diplomatic car?

I don't think they should. I dont think anyone should enter the British or Irish embassys to arresst someone we granted asylum or enter our cars with diplomats. I think its a disgrace if they forcefully remove someone from Ecuador territory who has been granted asylum on human rights grounds.

Agreed. :Argh: That would just be wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19 (368 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

In this case, no, but you can't state that that will be the case always.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19 (352 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

If it's like Arkham Asylum I'll get it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19 (349 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

I still haven't completed that game.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19 (347 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

fenian wrote:

But it isn't Ecuadorian territory, which is why the UK are legally allowed to enter either the car or the Embassy building to make an arrest. The security and staff in the car and the embassy building would have no power to stop the British police from entering and making an arrest, they would be required by UK law to abide to UK law which would instruct them to step aside as the arrest is made.

Do I agree with them arresting him? Not really, America just seems to be framing him so that he is extradited.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19 (343 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

So the Americans posted all their dirt laundry on his site without his knowledge, did they?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19 (336 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

ProjectVRD wrote:

But it isn't Ecuadorian territory, which is why the UK are legally allowed to enter either the car or the Embassy building to make an arrest. The security and staff in the car and the embassy building would have no power to stop the British police from entering and making an arrest, they would be required by UK law to abide to UK law which would instruct them to step aside as the arrest is made.

Do I agree with them arresting him? Not really, America just seems to be framing him so that he is extradited.

It is considered the territory of Equador, they can only Enter if they ignore internaitonal law, they are legally allowed ignore international law in certain cases but this isnt one, this has never been one of the cases you can enter an embassy.

As for cars, they are supposed to be immune to law, youre only supposed to bring the law into account on scannded documents or when their feet are on british soil either outside the building or in the airport.

What makes you think an embassy is not regarded as the territory of its home nation? Is there some reason why this would be specific to this embassy?

*edit - Even russia wont enter an embassy, someone lived in an embassy for 15 years in Russia knowing as soon as they left they would be arrested and Russia even in the bad old days would not enter.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19 (335 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

fenian wrote:

ProjectVRD wrote:

It is considered the territory of Equador, they can only Enter if they ignore internaitonal law, they are legally allowed ignore international law in certain cases but this isnt one, this has never been one of the cases you can enter an embassy.

As for cars, they are supposed to be immune to law, youre only supposed to bring the law into account on scannded documents or when their feet are on british soil either outside the building or in the airport.

What makes you think an embassy is not regarded as the territory of its home nation? Is there some reason why this would be specific to this embassy?

*edit - Even russia wont enter an embassy, someone lived in an embassy for 15 years in Russia knowing as soon as they left they would be arrested and Russia even in the bad old days would not enter.

That is not strictly true, the UK have granted Ecuador the building and will abide by agreements not to enter, but at any time the UK is legally allowed through both UK and International law to withdraw that agreement with Ecuador at any time and with immediate effect as it is still UK land and under jurisdication of the UK law.

It happens quite often where we hear one country asks another to leave and vacate an embassy. Russia (or USSR) most likely felt that one particular person was not worth souring relations further with the nation at question. The UK is not in a similar position, they have the world's only super power and one of the largest trading partner's breathing down their neck to get Assange, not to mention Assange also published information that annoyed British politicians. Behind the scene's we would probably find that most nations are pushing the UK to do this, so in context souring relations with Ecuador is the logical solution by revoking their embassy and moving in.

There is no such thing as diplomatic immunity as far as the immunity is concerned, no matter who the figure is, they can and will be arrested if the political will deems it to least disruptive course of action. This is why the UK government have said they are going to move in and arrest him and while doing so no laws will be broken.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19 (325 Views)
0 Kudos