Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: Does any actually like David Cameron?

PatC_PSN wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

O.K. thank heavens I'm not in power then or we would all be in the stinking creek. The mergence thing was only an example, it didn't have to be them, What about child benefit and family tax credit, could they be merged? Or do you think it's not worth bothering with the mergence for taxes.

I don't understand your drive for merging taxes or goverment programs. I assume that cost savings would be the objective, but how much do you think you would really save? And how much do you think it would cost in huge government IT projects (that typically are many years late being delivered, cost many millions more than budget, and in any case don't work as intended)?

And let's not have any of that loose talk about advertising on the BBC either.

In order to answer your question I'll need a financial adviser, as I'm no good with figures; but I would assume that we would make a significant amount of savings without taking into account all that twoddle about merging taxes.

Saving the public money is key to a growing economy, in other words; it's the public that put the most money into the pot to get the wheel circulating again. Cuts don't save money, they only grind it to a halt, that's why we're not moving forward. As public spending decreases, so does the economy. 

The BBC constitutes as a main deficit in my book; as the public and government puts money towards funding this business only for us not to see a return in profits and service. We now have to pay a seperate Subscriber to give us what the TV Licence should promise us and that is to watch Live Broadcast television. If you currently unplug Freeview, Freesat, BT Vision, Virgin Media, Sky or any other TV service away from the TV, I bet you still won't get a picture,  which makes the licence ineffective and obsolete. Other countries get the BBC free, so why can't we and who came up with this idea anyway of ripping off Britain with this scheme? It's worser; than what I was proposing with my idea of merging taxes. 

The more I write Merging taxes, it sounds like something David cameron would come up with. So I don't think I'll bother with that one ever again lol, it seems too dirty and risky. I think the other points are valid though, still.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/69344 - Please sign

To PlayStation... Semper Fidelis
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 91 of 106 (242 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

LarasAider wrote:

Saving the public money is key to a growing economy, in other words; it's the public that put the most money into the pot to get the wheel circulating again. Cuts don't save money, they only grind it to a halt, that's why we're not moving forward. As public spending decreases, so does the economy. 

Balancing spending on public services with tax revenues is certainly key to a growing economy, and we're a very long way from that. You can either make cuts or increase taxation. Both have many other consequences, but the simple reality is that we are living beyond our means and whichever way you look at it that is not sustainable. It'll be even less sustainable as our debt continues to increase, our credit rating is (inevitably) downgraded, and our interest charges become even higher. Right now our interest charges are well in excess of £100m a day. You'd have to come up with some pretty dramatic efficiency savings to save that much a year. You still say that cuts don't save money?

Clearly economics is a very complex area and not one in which I have any expertise, but it seems to me that we have to focus on creating the conditions in which small businesses can be started and then grow, employing people as they work towards creating profitable exports of goods and services. That's an area in which taxation should be simplified and reduced, although right now the lack of investment funding is probably the main issue.

Simply 'saving the public money' is far too simplistic. Every pound that someone doesn't have to pay is a pound that someone else doesn't have to spend, just shifting the problem around. Every cost saving is a cost to someone else.

I'm not going to go into that BBC stuff in any detail as it's largely unrelated. But that's a simple choice: pay a licence fee for a BBC with no advertising or commercial influence, or don't pay and have the BBC plummet to the levels of the ITV companies (and many Sky channels) who have to cater for the people who read Heat Magazine and buy Pot Noodles.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 92 of 106 (236 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Laras, just stop now. You're embarrassing yourself.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 93 of 106 (226 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

James91 wrote:
Laras, just stop now. You're embarrassing yourself.

No I'm not actually. My point is my point and I don't care what people on this forum say. You have your say and I'll have mine. The end. There is absolutly no way I can share my view on these forums without getting some sort of reprisal from other members so why do I even bother. 

"The only time my posts get excepted is when I talk about fluffy pink kittens or dancing rainbow dogs. Any other time only elite members are allowed to have their say whilst everyone else gets abuse Those are the rules nowadays concocted by members who been here since the dark ages".

So James91, you carry on writing your critisizing crap if you like or join your other insulting freinds... I don't care. 

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/69344 - Please sign

To PlayStation... Semper Fidelis
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 94 of 106 (214 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

LarasAider wrote:

"The only time my posts get excepted is when I talk about fluffy pink kittens or dancing rainbow dogs. Any other time only elite members are allowed to have their say whilst everyone else gets abuse Those are the rules nowadays concocted by members who been here since the dark ages".

People disagreeing with you is not the same as you not being 'allowed to have your say'. You are as free as anyone else to argue your points, but don't make yourself out to be a forum victim. That just sounds pathetic.

Disagreement is the basis of any discussion forum worth reading. Although of course you may disagree.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 95 of 106 (206 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I realise I may be beating a dead horse here but I don't think there really are any quick, easy fixes such as the ones you're suggesting.

In my view the way you're shouting GROWTH! is the same way a person might shout HEALTH! but without wanting to put in any effort exercising or exercising any self-control. In the same way budget cuts and the like are needed here.

So what I'm saying is you need to suffer some now to prevent worse suffering later.

EDIT:

Well Pat I seem to recall you saying:

PatC_PSN wrote:

Well if that's not "not being allowed your say" then I don't know what is. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 96 of 106 (200 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

foxhill wrote:

Well Pat I seem to recall you saying:

PatC_PSN wrote:

Well if that's not "not being allowed your say" then I don't know what is. :smileytongue:

Figure of speech my dear fellow.

Although suggesting that we drag the BBC down to the level of the tracksuit and earring brigade is going a bit far don't you think?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 97 of 106 (188 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

PatC_PSN wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

Balancing spending on public services with tax revenues is certainly key to a growing economy, and we're a very long way from that. You can either make cuts or increase taxation. Both have many other consequences, but the simple reality is that we are living beyond our means and whichever way you look at it that is not sustainable. It'll be even less sustainable as our debt continues to increase, our credit rating is (inevitably) downgraded, and our interest charges become even higher. Right now our interest charges are well in excess of £100m a day. You'd have to come up with some pretty dramatic efficiency savings to save that much a year. You still say that cuts don't save money?

Clearly economics is a very complex area and not one in which I have any expertise, but it seems to me that we have to focus on creating the conditions in which small businesses can be started and then grow, employing people as they work towards creating profitable exports of goods and services. That's an area in which taxation should be simplified and reduced, although right now the lack of investment funding is probably the main issue.

Simply 'saving the public money' is far too simplistic. Every pound that someone doesn't have to pay is a pound that someone else doesn't have to spend, just shifting the problem around. Every cost saving is a cost to someone else.

I'm not going to go into that BBC stuff in any detail as it's largely unrelated. But that's a simple choice: pay a licence fee for a BBC with no advertising or commercial influence, or don't pay and have the BBC plummet to the levels of the ITV companies (and many Sky channels) who have to cater for the people who read Heat Magazine and buy Pot Noodles.

I read this thinking that maybe you had a great idea. Instead I felt like I was reading a book called 'Stating the obvious'

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 98 of 106 (182 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

anomolousblob wrote:

I read this thinking that maybe you had a great idea. Instead I felt like I was reading a book called 'Stating the obvious'

It clearly wasn't obvious to the person I was replying to. But thanks for your enlightening contribution.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 99 of 106 (176 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

PatC_PSN wrote:

anomolousblob wrote:

It clearly wasn't obvious to the person I was replying to. But thanks for your enlightening contribution.

lol

A smack in the face wouldnt be obvious to some of the posters on this forum

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 100 of 106 (170 Views)
0 Kudos