18 Mar 2010
By Gawge
Playstation Staff

First Driving Lesson Tomorrow

43 Replies 402 Views Created 18-03-2010

Any tips?

I am both nervous and excited, I have never even started a car before. I don't really know anything about it and tomorrow is my first lesson.

I'm getting picked up from College by the instructor at 3:30 and assume that i'll be taken to somewhere that isn't very busy to try and learn how to start a car etc...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 44 (402 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: First Driving Lesson Tomorrow

[ Edited ]

Just stay calm and cool. Drive slowly and take your time. Ignore tail-gaters behind you.

I was nervous when I was doing the beginning stage of driving lessons. But now I got a full UK driving license. Mmwahahahaa! Joking. :smileytongue:

Anyway, I got started by driving through residential areas of York which is a quiet place, and got a grip of driving. So your instructor should take you to calm areas for a start.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 44 (394 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Just pay attention.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 44 (389 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Your instructor will take you somewhere quite, without many junctions or challenges, don't worry you wont have to deal with anything too tricky until you've got used to driving.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 44 (383 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Careful now.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 44 (360 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'm about to start learning to drive, I'm 18 now (had to save up) but I've finally amassed enough WONNGAAAA (hate that advert ¬_¬) to pay for lessons. :smileyvery-happy:

I too am excited and nervous, let's learn together! :smileywink: :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 44 (341 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

First time in a car?! wow lol..but ya goodluck...!
Here in ireland, everone usually drives a car atleast once at the age of 13/14 or so...
Especially sense we have lots of land, people usually get field cars which are good craic!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 44 (337 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

dylanireland wrote:
First time in a car?! wow lol..but ya goodluck...!
Here in ireland, everone usually drives a car atleast once at the age of 13/14 or so...
Especially sense we have lots of land, people usually get field cars which are good craic!

they dont have field cars in dublin.. :-/

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 44 (309 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Yeah, I've got advice...

You may be driving at a car park or a very quiet area as it is your first lesson, but I'll give you my random personal advice anyway, for future reference. :smileytongue:

Firstly, there's nothing to worry about, it's ***** easy.

Secondly, keep your eyes on the road and concentrate, but don't go over the top, stay relaxed whilst driving.

Thirdly, regarding gear changing; the first gear is most difficult. At first, I recommend you slowly lift your foot off of the clutch whilst EXTREMELY gently using the gas pedal lightly. It shouldn't take too long for you to get the feel of the clutch to gas ratio required for the car to have a good, smooth start. Getting grips with the biting point is vital for you to learn fast. Take in mind that different cars have different clutches, thus changing the biting point.

REMEMBER - the more power the car needs to move (steep/hill), the harder you must push the gas pedal, whilst lifting off the clutch obviously.

Fourthly, regarding tailgaters, don't worry about them. Signal when turning and drive however you're comfortable with at the time.

Fifthly, drive at or lower than the speed limit for the particular road, however, attempt to not drive under 10-15MPH of the speed limit of the particular road. This will benefit your confidence, and not be the cause of other drivers being delayed.

Tell me if you have a question or want to say something about anything I said. :smileyhappy:

Have fun!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 44 (301 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Good luck, normally you won't drive for much of the first lesson. But you will be fine. Nothing will go wrong :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 44 (299 Views)
0 Kudos