Level 1

Re: Glasgow Uni

Thats not true at all, Scottish people on the whole seem to be under the impression that Scottish oil puts humongous amounts of money into the UK, it's minimal, Scotland could not survive outside of the UK

We own 90% of the UK's oil, we can easily survive on that. Whiskey exports alone count for billions.

So once again, yes we could. England has next to no natural produce to export, we do.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 74 (640 Views)
0 Kudos

Yes 90% of the UK's oil is in Scottish water, but you couldn't run the countries economy off it, most of the UK's oil is exported. Also whiskey couldn't keep the whole of Scotland going, Ireland has dominance in that market anyway.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 74 (640 Views)
0 Kudos

Interesting act: Oil is not Scotland's biggest export, Whiskey is. And the oil in the North Pole is running dry. They have to drill deeper and deeper to get to it. Scotland could not survive on the oil for any longer. I disagree 100% with independence, but if it happened the country would survive. And would not be "financially ruined". Saying that, a higher percentage of all taxes produced over the whole country went to Scotland a couple of years ago. I couldent comment on that now, but it did. Not a huge percentage different, but there was one. As for an argument that Scottish Education is better than English, sorry mate, its not. English equivalents of our standard grades/highers are tougher than Scottish version. True story We have to pay the government back at the end of the degree... you do realise this don't you? Its not the full amount but is about 2-3k. The fact it is that University education does not really matter where you get it. A degree is a degree. Sorry for the late reply, i need to work to fund my uni life when i go out drinking every week... :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 74 (640 Views)
0 Kudos

The fact it is that University education does not really matter where you get it. A degree is a degree.

not true.

degree from cambridge > degree from wolverhampton
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 74 (640 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

We have to pay the government back at the end of the degree... you do realise this don't you? Its not the full amount but is about 2-3k. Considering that's the equivalent cost of the degree tuition fees if i'd started the course a year earlier, that doesn't make a difference. And considering we have to pay an average of £20,000 for a three-year course, again...meh. Yes, that includes accommodation/bills, but it's all part of the process. And the above estimate refers to cheap accommodation, try imagining that if one lived in the more expensive parts of town.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 45 of 74 (640 Views)
0 Kudos

Depends what you degree is in. Degrees are over rated anyway. Most good employers will want to know more about your thesis work rather than your actual course content. Maybe some time ago Cambridge was seen as a great university and thats just stuck, but in real life, a degree is a degree. You cant change the status of a first in anything Except a MA... but and arts degree isent really a degree... EDIT: 20,000 for a three year course? What the hell are you doing? I'm £3500 for a three year course. And thats Engineering. But everyone stays for the honors year anyway...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 74 (640 Views)
0 Kudos

Depends what you degree is in.

Any good quality degree from UCL, LSE, Imperial and Oxbridge > any good quality degree from anywhere else.

20,000 for a three year course?

3kish per year in tuition costs + living.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 47 of 74 (640 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Except a MA... but and arts degree isent really a degree...

EDIT: 20,000 for a three year course? What the hell are you doing? I'm £3500 for a three year course. And thats Engineering. But everyone stays for the honors year anyway...

I'd like to see you argue how a Media Studies degree is as valuable as a degree in Law or Physics.

And as haze says, the tuition fees now (since 2006 i believe, which is when i started) are 3k a year (they've just started increasing that cost as well) and accommodation at the lower end is £300+ a month, not including bills in some places.

It all adds up.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 74 (640 Views)
0 Kudos

Oh i wasn't including accommodation in my £3500 for three years (about 1200 i think i year i am). We don't get money for accommodation unless we apply for a student loan. Which i didnt. £3000 a year is more than double what the majority of the fees are in abdn and rgu. I'm not sure about the central belt though. I'm not arguing that media studies is better than engineering. I don't think i ever insinuated that it was. What i did say was an arts degree isn't really a degree. As in the are silly'
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 74 (640 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

What i did say was an arts degree isn't really a degree. As in the are silly'

And sadly, i'd have to agree with you in that respect. I'm actually considering changing degree even though i'm coming to the end of my second year :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 74 (640 Views)
0 Kudos