31 May 2011
Playstation Staff

High Resolution rip off

12 Replies 226 Views Created 31-05-2011

The only format that utilises High Definition to full capacity i.e. 100% is Video game Consoles.

But HD on TV is absolute rubbish; only 20% of programs that are broadcastered are shown in High definition and 80% shown in standard. Pure HD is also shown in  16:9 ratio whilst upscaled is shown in 4:3 ratio (losing half of the screen), I just wish there was some medium that can generate all HD content. 

So in the case then; Consoles even beat Virgin and Sky  with the range of HD support. Shocking! :Scared:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (226 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: High Resolution rip off

Indeed, hence why I bought myself a 1080p TV last year and have not connected it to a TV signal once. Pure Gaming and films only. But even games rarely reach 1080p, so they're not even Full HD

HDTV is sort of pointless at the moment for TV channels, but in a few years when everyone starts to catch up it will be good.

Just like 3D now is pointless, especially as you need glasses...which is a big put off for me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.thezeitgeistmovement.com
www.thevenusproject.com
:Angel:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (217 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Most rediculous thread.. eva!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (203 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

LarasAider wrote:

Pure HD is also shown in  16:9 ratio whilst upscaled is shown in 4:3 ratio (losing half of the screen)

If it's upscaled 4:3 then it isn't HD at all. And there is far more material broadcast at 1080(i) by Sky than video games that have a native vertical resolution of 1080.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (178 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

PatC_PSN wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

Pure HD is also shown in  16:9 ratio whilst upscaled is shown in 4:3 ratio (losing half of the screen)

If it's upscaled 4:3 then it isn't HD at all. And there is far more material broadcast at 1080(i) by Sky than video games that have a native vertical resolution of 1080.

Not to mention even a normal DVD at Standard Defination contains far more detail than 1080p games. That always made me laugh with games, huge resolutions but awful detail, some people even try to claim Crysis looks better than the film Avatar. If only they knew their console or PC would melt trying to render DVD quality details in realtime at 576p :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (165 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

haha so true project! though one day consoles will be able to do that. andthat will truely be a great day :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (152 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

PatC_PSN wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

Even on HD channels; Some of the programs themselves are not in HD; hense the percentage marks.

ITV showcases HD programming by placing an Ident in the corner when at full HD resolution, 720p or 1080i and is off when not. This is just one way you can tell if a channel is being faithful to paying HD customers. There are however, channels that broadcast with 98% HD capacity like Discovery HD and BBC HD.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (125 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

ProjectVRD wrote:

Not to mention even a normal DVD at Standard Defination contains far more detail than 1080p games. That always made me laugh with games, huge resolutions but awful detail, some people even try to claim Crysis looks better than the film Avatar. If only they knew their console or PC would melt trying to render DVD quality details in realtime at 576p :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Indeed, people do tend to focus on the screen resolution and ignore the fact that the image stream may have been compressed to hell and back.

Nothing broadcast or streamed in HD will currently come close to the bit rate of a Blu-ray disc.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (111 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

LarasAider wrote:

Even on HD channels; Some of the programs themselves are not in HD; hense the percentage marks.

ITV showcases HD programming by placing an Ident in the corner when at full HD resolution, 720p or 1080i and is off when not. This is just one way you can tell if a channel is being faithful to paying HD customers. There are however, channels that broadcast with 98% HD capacity like Discovery HD and BBC HD.

I use the fact that native HD programs are shown in a different colour on the Sky EPG. There are far more available than there are native 1080 resolution video games. And even for 1080p games like wipEout HD they have to keep lowering the frame rate so the PS3 processors can keep up.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (108 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

BBC have been experimenting with 1080p on their BBC HD channels on Freeview HD and the other day had it on, but Sony's TVs haven't been playing nice with it and were suffering audio drop outs.

I hope the BBC do carry on with this, and get it in Freesat HD too.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (98 Views)
0 Kudos