29 Jul 2012
Playstation Staff

Is reselling a product as something else illegal?

[ Edited ]
18 Replies 224 Views edited 29-07-2012

I am currently looking into this but I figured I would see what you lot think especially consider UK law will probably br different from most article info I come across. So would it be legal to buy an item made by a different company, then re-sell that item as part of my own product (a kit with other items)? I cannot really go into to much detail about my idea otherwise everyone would probably do it providing it is legal :Lol:

Basically a company sells a basic generic item for £15 to do a specific task. I buy it then sell my own kit with a few other items along with the generic item which I could potiential sell for £100. I just want to resell a cheap item as something totally different which is worth a lot more though the item is essentially the same and with other items that are my own. 

- - - - - - - - - - - -
www.owenprescott.com
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19 (224 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Is reselling a product as something else illegal?

Before you think that you have stumbled upon an amazing new idea - there is already something called a hamper.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19 (222 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

It's legal but depends on what and how. Food for example can be bought locally from a supermarket, then cooked as "made from local ingredients" for a higher price in a restaurant.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19 (219 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Gawge wrote:
Before you think that you have stumbled upon an amazing new idea - there is already something called a hamper.

Well it is not a hamper :Lol:, the product is specific and the only competition sells from around £100 to £400. All I need is this one item which is being sold as something tottaly different, they could litterally change its name and sell it for a lot more. :smileytongue:

EdwCarnby wrote:
It's legal but depends on what and how. Food for example can be bought locally from a supermarket, then cooked as "made from local ingredients" for a higher price in a restaurant.

The item is an everyday object you find at home, the company sells it for use in Kitchens but it could potientially be used as an object very unique and would not require any enhancments just a name change. I have contacted the company who sell a really stylish version of what I am after to see if I get permission but no reply yet.  

- - - - - - - - - - - -
www.owenprescott.com
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19 (215 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

I don't think it would be illegal to resell something, but you might be in trouble if you try rebranding it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19 (194 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Before changing a product.

Check if the're Patents or Patents pending included with in the product you're gonna change.

Check Trademarks on the product you're change

and always ask permission, from the company on who's product you're gonna change

There could also be a large one off fee or you'll have to pay them shares of the profits you'll recieve which you'll need to pay the company if you're changing or including their product within your own.

So OP what ya doing that warrents the question you're asking?

"Why buy something that acts like a PlayStation... When you can buy a PlayStation"- my thoughts on the Xbox One revision.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19 (193 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

its impossible for us to know.

the difference between product a and b might be small but might also be something that is patented.

For example, all toy helicopters are patented, if you bought one and took the body off and put another body that was simillar to another makers you would be taken to court very quickly.

Or if you made a bundle kit to make your own ps3, youd be shut down pretty quick even though you could buy all them parts and build one yourself etc etc.

If someone is making 90 sterling profit on something, expect them to protect their idea. If patent lawyers get involved then even if you legally have a right to do it you wont be able to, the cost of proving you have a legal right to do it will probably run into the millions.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19 (175 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I would say from what OP wants to do, it's probably illegal. He's wanting to make money on top of it, so they wouldn't allow it.

If you were giving this "hamper" away for free, then they'd have no problem, it's money out your own pocket. What you're doing though is selling this in another kit and branding this as your own kit, so they're not gonna allow that.

I'm just going with common sense. I know nothing of the product/copyright law.
Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19 (169 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

owenp185 wrote:
The item is an everyday object you find at home, the company sells it for use in Kitchens but it could potientially be used as an object very unique and would not require any enhancments just a name change. I have contacted the company who sell a really stylish version of what I am after to see if I get permission but no reply yet.  

And who will you be marketting this product to? Ann Summer? :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19 (167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

EdwCarnby wrote:

owenp185 wrote:

And who will you be marketting this product to? Ann Summer? :smileyhappy:

I assumed Turkey basters were for a bit of a niche audience.

Not very often you use one is it.

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19 (161 Views)
0 Kudos