Lounge

General Discussion

General Discussion

Level 4

Re: Is reselling a product as something else illegal?

Egg whisk = Alien gun?
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 19 (129 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

xElfenLied_US wrote:
I'm just going with common sense. I know nothing of the product/copyright law.

You can patent a new use for existing technology. In the UK it has to be "non obvious" to an expert in the field, however patents do get passed even though obvious and you need to challange them in court to then get them thrown out which costs money.

So their could be a patent in place for using exsisting stuff in the way he wants to, on the flip side if there is no patent in place he can go for gold, but as soon as others spot it the market might be flooded with people doing the same.

Thats business though.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 19 (128 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

If you think it is going to be that profitable it might be worth getting in touch with a solictor that knows about patents, trademarks etc. It will cost but it might be worth it in the long run to check it's ok and go ahead with making money, or not because you will get sued.

Without telling us we can't help you but I fully understand why you wouldn't want to put it on a public forum, and 95% odd of people would be guessing. With a solicitor you can do it all confidentially.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 19 (124 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

michelle_tabor wrote:
Without telling us we can't help you but I fully understand why you wouldn't want to put it on a public forum

Indeed, and I'm guessing it's either to do with large vegetables or plastic cooking utensils.

0 Kudos
Level 5

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 19 (119 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I wondered how long it would take for some of those comments lol, to be honest I could probably just market my kit seperatly so I am starting to think that is the best option. If I sell all my own items in a box with my branding and add the companies product to my own pack I am guessing that will be ok? If it does become a success I could always find a proper company to manufacture what I am looking for. 

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 19 (110 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

To be honest, we can't actually help you, because we don't know what the product is and we don't know what the brand is, and it'd be nice to know what kind of kit you're actually trying to sell.
Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 19 (104 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

No one can tell you without knowing the idea.

Building a replica ferrari isnt illegal, selling a replica ferrari can be, selling a builders kit isnt illegal as long as it has no ferrari logos on it (depending on the ferrari car)..

Just use common sense on it. If you believe you have found an honest gap in the market, then you probably have. If you believe you have found a way to be a rip off merchant, then judges will probably see you as that if it ever goes to court.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 19 (93 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

[ Edited ]

Going from a few lectures I had on patent law a bit over a year ago, if you've thought of a novel use for something that already exists, you could patent that use, which would help you. You're better off making the device/object yourself, but if that isn't an option you could use one made by someone else. If you made it obvious that you're reselling an unmodified item made by a specific manufacturer, then it's probably legal. If you modify it or attempt to pass it off as your own creation, then it's illegal.

Having said that, it's very difficult to say anthing with much certainty without more details of what you're doing.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 19 (84 Views)
0 Kudos