Lounge

General Discussion

General Discussion

Level 3

Re: Journey? I'd rather stay at Home, I mean home!

[ Edited ]

McNeilio wrote:
correct me if i'm wrong but didn't u say in another thread that u had lost the urge to play it after watching an entire walk through before even playing the game

whinger is exactly what is springing to mind Laras

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/So-Journey-is-Out/m-p/153554...
Exactly.

You ruined the game on yourself by watching all of it already and then you state that it did not live up to your expectations? Of course it wouldn't and you can't really blame anybody but yourself for this. As for the visuals being monotone: DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT! THE MAGIC OF THE GAME, AS WITH FLOWER, IS THE NEW EXPERIENCES!

Spoiler
Spoiler
_-Journey-PS3-_.jpg

Desert - The Mountain.jpg

Journey - Bridges.jpg

Journey - Cave Contrast.jpg

Journey Cave - Carpet.jpg
(colours are off slightly on this one, presumably because it was taken from a camera and not with a screen capture)

http://i.minus.com/iKG39HGma6wZe.gif

Edit: Two links didn't show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1tkTQD708&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BaDnuzc8msI#t=555s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDnuzc8msI&feature=related

Sorry I couldn't find images for those specific parts unfortunately.

But if you can look at those and even dare say the game is monotone then you surely must no understand the definition of the word. I'm sorry, but to say this is monotone because a significant portion is set in the desert (which has different colour schemes in every single location) is like say Flower is monotone because there is grass everywhere.

As for soundtracks (once again, only if you've finished the game)

Spoiler

Can you really say they are not relaxing? On their own they obviously will not be as impressive as they are in the game so the emotion, although it is conveyed relatively well, is not as strong without the visuals.

Anyway, at the original poster, the game is one of the most enjoyable games I've played on the Playstation. I've just finished my ninth playthrough since the release date and every subsequent playthrough has been equally as enjoyable as the previous one (the only exception being the first playthrough which was simply indescribable, a magical experience). The bond that is formed between you and your companion can barely be described. The diverse locations will make your jaw drop, the elegant yet simple gameplay, left completely unexplained so you can learn as you progress carries the journey well and is integrated very well while creating a nice flow to the gameplay that is made even better with a companion. I am somebody that is relatively detached from my emotions and in real life I'd probably be described by most people who know me as cold and that's probably true but this game is one of the only games which I had a genuine (positive, many games have made me incredibly annoyed :smileytongue:) emotional reaction to, the others (off the top of my head) being Flower (to a much lesser, almost negligable amount), Shadow of the Colossus, Ico and Metal Gear Solid 3 (only the very end). Honestly, read nothing of this game. Don't read a single thing. Don't view a single thing of it. Don't know any location. Don't look at the trophies. Go on a complete media blackout with no expectations. If you view anything you'll diminish the impact.  I simply cannot say it enough, the game is incredible.

Please use plain text.
Message 71 of 104 (254 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

This thread made me lol. Never have I seen such desperation and sex pestery even if it is all "for the lulz" as for Journey..... looks a bit over rated to me. All this waffle about "its an emotional experience" makes me laugh. You run around in the dessert with a bhurkka on..... yes my heart is gushing rainbows and puppies after playing this. it changed my life and everything. -_-

Please use plain text.
Message 72 of 104 (248 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Furys-embrace wrote:

This thread made me lol. Never have I seen such desperation and sex pestery even if it is all "for the lulz" as for Journey..... looks a bit over rated to me. All this waffle about "its an emotional experience" makes me laugh. You run around in the dessert with a bhurkka on..... yes my heart is gushing rainbows and puppies after playing this. it changed my life and everything. -_-

Sex Pastry? Has Danny been talking about Dunkin' his Donuts again?

Please use plain text.
Message 73 of 104 (237 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Solid_Snake12345 wrote:

McNeilio wrote:
correct me if i'm wrong but didn't u say in another thread that u had lost the urge to play it after watching an entire walk through before even playing the game

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/So-Journey-is-Out/m-p/153554...
Exactly.

You ruined the game on yourself by watching all of it already and then you state that it did not live up to your expectations? Of course it wouldn't and you can't really blame anybody but yourself for this. As for the visuals being monotone: DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT! THE MAGIC OF THE GAME, AS WITH FLOWER, IS THE NEW EXPERIENCES!

Spoiler
Spoiler
_-Journey-PS3-_.jpg

Journey - Bridges.jpg

(colours are off slightly on this one, presumably because it was taken from a camera and not with a screen capture)

But if you can look at those and even dare say the game is monotone then you surely must no understand the definition of the word. I'm sorry, but to say this is monotone because a significant portion is set in the desert (which has different colour schemes in every single location) is like say Flower is monotone because there is grass everywhere.

Spoiler

Can you really say they are not relaxing? On their own they obviously will not be as impressive as they are in the game so the emotion, although it is conveyed relatively well, is not as strong without the visuals.

Anyway, at the original poster, the game is one of the most enjoyable games I've played on the Playstation. I've just finished my ninth playthrough since the release date and every subsequent playthrough has been equally as enjoyable as the previous one (the only exception being the first playthrough which was simply indescribable, a magical experience). The bond that is formed between you and your companion can barely be described. The diverse locations will make your jaw drop, the elegant yet simple gameplay, left completely unexplained so you can learn as you progress carries the journey well and is integrated very well while creating a nice flow to the gameplay that is made even better with a companion. I am somebody that is relatively detached from my emotions and in real life I'd probably be described by most people who know me as cold and that's probably true but this game is one of the only games which I had a genuine (positive, many games have made me incredibly annoyed :smileytongue:) emotional reaction to, the others (off the top of my head) being Flower (to a much lesser, almost negligable amount), Shadow of the Colossus, Ico and Metal Gear Solid 3 (only the very end). Honestly, read nothing of this game. Don't read a single thing. Don't view a single thing of it. Don't know any location. Don't look at the trophies. Go on a complete media blackout with no expectations. If you view anything you'll diminish the impact.  I simply cannot say it enough, the game is incredible.

I have totally resisted watching any trailers/spoilers on 'Youtube' or whatever, good for me!

What you have described in this rather comprehensive and very well written piece sounds wonderful too me, now I can't wait, but I'll have to until my storecard arrives.

Thank you for this description, it is wonderful.

:Smile: 

Please use plain text.
Message 74 of 104 (232 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Played the beta and i loved it. Think i might buy it soon! hopefully its worth the money.

Mike Starr 1984–2011
Please use plain text.
Message 75 of 104 (207 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Zalohuw wrote:

Played the beta and i loved it. Think i might buy it soon! hopefully its worth the money.

If you loved the beta I assure you you'll love the full game. It can be short depending on how strong your want to explore and take your time is, but I've played it more than once because of that. That and I wanted to unlock some patterns and something else I won't spoil. It's awesome :smileyhappy:

Property of xLegioNx
Please use plain text.
Message 76 of 104 (200 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

ZorGan5 wrote:

Solid_Snake12345 wrote:

McNeilio wrote:

Exactly.

Spoiler
Spoiler
_-Journey-PS3-_.jpg

Journey - Bridges.jpg

Spoiler

I have totally resisted watching any trailers/spoilers on 'Youtube' or whatever, good for me!

What you have described in this rather comprehensive and very well written piece sounds wonderful too me, now I can't wait, but I'll have to until my storecard arrives.

Thank you for this description, it is wonderful.

I was trying to view your trophy list to see if you'd played them already but have you played Ico or Shadow of the Colossus? I would say they are the closest way I can describe the game in a non-spoilerish way. Flower is also extremely similar. If you like those games then this really is a game for you. I only ask this because I know it's not for everybody but if you enjoyed them then hopefully you'll have an experience as enjoyable as I did. I do recommend that you get it as soon as possible while you're able to play it with new players. It would detract from the experience to play with somebody who knows what they're doing and brings you to all the secrets (or atleast I would think so).

Please use plain text.
Message 77 of 104 (185 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

It's like Ico and SOTC?

Wow, I definitely won't be wasting my money on this game.

Please use plain text.
Message 78 of 104 (174 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Solid_Snake12345 wrote:

I was trying to view your trophy list to see if you'd played them already but have you played Ico or Shadow of the Colossus? I would say they are the closest way I can describe the game in a non-spoilerish way. Flower is also extremely similar. If you like those games then this really is a game for you. I only ask this because I know it's not for everybody but if you enjoyed them then hopefully you'll have an experience as enjoyable as I did. I do recommend that you get it as soon as possible while you're able to play it with new players. It would detract from the experience to play with somebody who knows what they're doing and brings you to all the secrets (or atleast I would think so).

I have 'Flower' and I loved that game. I have played 'Ico' but only on the PS2 - it was a game my Brother had at the time.

Looks like I have something to look forward to, doesn't it.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 79 of 104 (167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

It's like Ico and SOTC?

Wow, I definitely won't be wasting my money on this game.

I would think so. Not so much in terms of gameplay (although I felt travelling with the companion was reminscent of travelling with Yorda) but in terms of atmosphere and visual design it certainly did remind of each game. I still would like to urge caution to both you and Zorgan even though you both will probably enjoy it it's just that it would be unfair to go in with too high expectations and then to be underwhelmed. It is much better to go into it with a neutral fashion. And also, a lot has been said about the length already but it is a two hour experience on average so honestly don't expect a four or five hour journey. The length is pretty much perfect for the game though as there's not much filler, it can be completed in one sitting and it allows you to stay with the same companion from beginning to end but to some people they'd rather it was longer for €13 (whereas I don't particularly mind).

Please use plain text.
Message 80 of 104 (151 Views)
0 Kudos