Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Ministers 'plan new web monitoring'

TheNarrator wrote:
pretty sure they dont monitor MVPs on forums though, thats, like, one of the rules. we paid them off, i mean, donated them off. apart from chris, they should keep all eyes on him for sure.

You leave Chris alone...he gave me half of his SOTM award. He's good peeps.

SoDomi non sapiens Image and video hosting by TinyPic
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 62 (215 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

chrisa3211 wrote: 

Few things though - first it does say "a warrant would be needed in order to access the content of the communications they were monitoring". That's not to say that that's much better, however.

Secondly, I'd be very surprised if this got implemented in its current form, there's just too much opposition:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17580906

Finally, I wonder to what extent this is done already? I mean surely there's some monitoring going on already?

Warrants dont work like that, its against EU law for them to start spying on you unless a warrant has been issued. What they want to do, is spy on people but only access the data with warrants.

So its a breach of EU law, it put a presumption of guilt on you, and they have already said no ISP in europe is to do it.

Regarding your final point, Sure its been going on for ages, the question isnt if it goes on, but what kind of results it gets.

Did it stop the IRA? did it stop the bus bomb? They have already admited they have no defence from lone wolf attacks. So many innocent people have been sent to jail despite sophisticated spying, and the threat is still there, meanwhile the technology has somehow found its way into other uses in law.

The cameras in london for example, originally to stop IRA, now they are used to fine you for driving into the city, following drunks around, and general policing of people.

And thats the truth of the matter, they will use terrorism to scare people into accepting it, and then gradually slowly use the technology to fine people for illegal downloads, probably even to tax people for usage of certain sites, who knows, all I know is that every step they have taken to fight "terrorism" has ended up being used to place fines and fees on normal british people.

Even look at number plate recognition, invented and used to track IRA, never stopped them, and is now used to check tax and isurance and people skipping petrol fees.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 62 (205 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

chrisa3211 wrote:

Finally, I wonder to what extent this is done already? I mean surely there's some monitoring going on already?

Indeed, it is called ECHELON.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 62 (204 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Warren_Jeeves wrote:
Well there goes my internet stalking career, oh well at least I can still send letters without being traced even though stamps are gonna now be 60p.

Who were you stalking, Pokemonfan58?

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 62 (183 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Strangesam wrote:

Warren_Jeeves wrote:
Well there goes my internet stalking career, oh well at least I can still send letters without being traced even though stamps are gonna now be 60p.

You, you live much closer and your strawberry blonde locks make you easier to track.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 62 (178 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Warren_Jeeves wrote:

Strangesam wrote:

Warren_Jeeves wrote:

You, you live much closer and your strawberry blonde locks make you easier to track.

Strawberry blonde... NO!

Im a pure ginge.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 62 (171 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

I was trying to be polite.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 62 (167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Warren_Jeeves wrote:
I was trying to be polite.

:smileysad:

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 62 (163 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

iSpy.png

HEADLINE: The government is facing backlash from civil liberty groups about the proposed plans to moniter Phone calls, Emails and internet usage. 

BBC News

The Government... Interfering in peoples daily lives as reached an ultimate low with this new legislation at tackling terrorism; a way to monitor Britains through every access of communications. That being your Mobile, Telephone, Internet, Emails and your Social Networking site. So far, the proposed plans have only mentioned internet, calls and Emails as their primary targets. The government says however, that they'll be strict with their access of our information because the data would show up as waves and graphs. The data would also be presented in a real time format and recorded for optimum usage. 

As much as I think this is a good idea; I doubt whether it'll be affective at combating terrorism in the UK and I also feel that they'll make it easier for hackers to get hold of our information as it's floating around.

P.S. do you like my art work at the top?:smileywink:

Thought you didn't...:smileysad:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/69344 - Please sign

To PlayStation... Semper Fidelis
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 62 (160 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

When Labour were in they were going to do this but the Tories opposed them, now the Tories are in they're going to do what they were opposing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 62 (142 Views)
0 Kudos