13 Oct 2010
By Shimmus
Playstation Staff

Moisture behind laptop screen

8 Replies 553 Views Created 13-10-2010

Hey guys.

I came to you lovely folk a wee while ago claiming to have dead pixels on my screen and how to get rid of them. Well the good news is that, from a little bit of internet research and some asking about, it turns out their not dead pixels at all! Horrah!

Sadly though, it's due to moisture somehow being absorbed behind the screen. I'm guessing through the vigorous wiping of a surface cleaner onto the screen itself (I know... hold your heckles on my stupidity... I knew what I was doing could hold dire consequences!). They're little smudges of coloured blobs, that, if pressure is applied to them, can be moved around the screen... very very slowly.

So, after finding very very limited slithers of help from Google and such, I'm wondering if you happy lot have any remedies. Are there any tricks or tips you can offer, or will I simply have to hang my head in shame as I somehow get it repaired professionally... or just live with the mess on my screen.

Thanks in advance you lot. And please don't judge me too quickly.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (553 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Moisture behind laptop screen

Get a hairdryer and point it at the screen (point blank range), if that doesnt work just get a magnet and gently run it over the HDD

*All my spelling and grammar mistakes are on purpose.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (551 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the magnet quip. Very droll.

Talking about the hair dryer solution though, I did actually give that a go a short while ago, (removing the battery prior of course). I only did it for around 5 minutes, but I'm sure there has been a slight improvement. I may just have to dedicate an hour to just blowing the hell out of my screen ( :Wink: ) though I'm scared I could do more damage than I already have done...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (549 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

TBH a hairdryer is the only way to get moisture out the screen without ruining the screen or taking it apart i think.
You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (502 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Thats good because I thought I had made that up xD

*All my spelling and grammar mistakes are on purpose.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (499 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Moisture + Laptop = There's only one conclusion to what has been going on here...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (487 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

BTW i based what i said on the ways of removing water from a surface and because its under the screen you can't wipe it, so you need to make it evaporate and naked flames will ruin the laptop screen
You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (479 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

TheMiitch wrote:

Moisture + Laptop = There's only one conclusion to what has been going on here...

:Scared: Innocent until proven guilty!

I tried the hair-dryer thing again, and all it's done is turned the blobs into a slightly greenier tint. Ahh well. I guess I'm going to have to make do...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (468 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Put it on HOT! Or, in other words... KILL IT WITH FIRE.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (454 Views)
0 Kudos