Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: R.I.P NHS?

So going out drinking followed by a one night stand were you then contract HIV. Should you then receive treatment for something that was your own fault. (presuming the carrier was unaware they have it) Catching it that way is no different form a heroin addict catching it through contaminated needles. Lots of people end up using heroin through no fault of their own. Some might chose to and then it spirals out of control and takes over their life. Why should the NHS not help them?

The NHS is there to provide health care to all regardless of what or why its for. Sure people who chose to treat their bodies should have to change there life to remain high priority if there is high demand for theatre time but they should not be denied treatment all together.

My cousin was diagnosed with testicular cancer nothing you can do to stop that and was contacted by the hospital to come in for surgery on a certain date. He said he couldn't make that day. Got a call back from some one more senior the next day he'd been given another date to come in then told clearly if he didn't go then he'd no longer be priority. If he had turned that one down the next date would not have been definite. If somebody else needed the theatre for surgery then the hospital would have placed them first. Where as the first time he was told to come in the theatre was guaranteed for him. Luckily the second date he was given was treated with the same priority.

Should be the same say for an obese person needing heart surgery they should have reduce there weight by dieting (seeing as exercise isn't an option) refusal to do so will then lead to them possibly being delayed if another patient needs to be in the theatre they were scheduled to use but not denied treatment out right. I know there are times when they will refuse to operate in less serious cases due to risk of complications during surgery as a result of being obese but if its something life threatening then they need it and theres no time then they shouldn't be denied it.

Free userbars
Free userbars
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 71 of 76 (131 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Once something is a medical problem the NHS should do everything in its power to tackle it, regardless of how this medical problem came about.

You dropped something on your leg, they should xray it, patch it up and help you. You got knocked down, they should try save your life. You contracted aids either being a total numpty or through a total accident they should set out to make your life as well as possible, you were born in the wrong gender body, they should try right it, you need a transplant, they should put you on a list and god willing do the operation as soon as they can.

Thats the way it should work, and they should priorotise by need, they cant do transplant operations all day and night cause they dont have the organs, so they should put those in most need on the top.. The cosmetic doctor cant even do transplants or deal with cancer, so they should be doing burn victims, and life saving reconstruction and then gender operations. No one is asking that they throw a burn victim onto the ground to put breasts implants in someone, but it just so happens that they dont always have burn victims or people with bitten off noses to work on.

If money is tight, then sadly you will have to cut some stuff, and the way the world works it might not be stuff that tries to help obese people, because not helping obese people costs more etc.

Thats my opinion anyway, or keep spending the money on fireworks, I like fireworks.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 72 of 76 (126 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

You have deliberately taken what i said out of context.

At no point did i ever say that people who need treatment shouldn't get it what i said was if you don't take responsibility for sorting yourself out to be eligible to get that treatment then you shouldn't be given priority.

Things like testicular cancer are things that can not be avoided & are things that got through no fault of the person who has it.

Hope your cousin is well & recovering.

And i have already said that when it is to saving someones life then surgery is justified.

The fact that an obese person would have had years of warnings from doctors to do something about there weight & been told the health risk if they don't but still make no effort why should they be given a priority over someone who has made that effort to recieve treatment.

While i was in hospital for my heart surgery last month there was a guy who had been booked for surgery & had it cancelled on him 4 times before he actually got it because emergencies came in.

I had mine cancelled on me when i was actually on my way to the hospital but that was mainly down to the fact i had a chest infection & they didn't want to take the risk.

The fact aids & hiv  have been around for years not using a condom with a one night stand is the choice you make taking that risk & only have yourself to blame.

Drug addicts can easily avoid catching aids or hiv by using their own needles but they don't they choose to share samething they make that choice& have no one to blame but themselves.

If people don't take responsibility for their own actions then they have only themselves to blame the same with me & smoking it was my choice i only have myself to blame.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 73 of 76 (124 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Muttykins wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

from what I can gather, the politicians what to give us a choice to the service we pay for, by coming up with alternatives to treatment and a better care system to those that need around the clock treatment. 

What it is is the gorverment want to hand over most services provided by the nhs to local gp's.

The government wants to give more power to the patients and the GP's. 

The problem is, that patients shouldn't be given more power, and the GP's don't want more power. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 74 of 76 (111 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Muttykins wrote:

Mr_Inconspicous wrote:

Weight loss surgery is not a pointless operation. Saves the NHS money in the long run from other complications associated with obesity. How would you feel if there is 1 heart is available for a transplant thats perfect for you but another person gets that transplant over you because they need it more urgently from a condition brought on by obesity that could of been helped if they had, had their stomach stapled by the NHS.

They could try dieting as that's what anyone else does if they need to lose weight.

Why should people who like a pig & refuse to help themselves be entitled surgery like that.

There no excuse for anyone to be obese.

Same as alcohohics you can't someone who isn't prepared to help themselves i have been around alcoholics growing up & even when they have had help they still drink themselves to death.

There's a myriad of reasons (not excuses) for people to be obese or alcoholic. People not being able to help themselves is more of a reason for professional help than doing nothing and leaving them to it. Are you saying anorexics should be left to starve themselves to death because even with help they refuse to eat? Or that people with mental health problems shouldn't be allowed hospitalisation because they refuse to take their medication? By your own argument nobody would ever receive treatment because someone else can always think of a better, more worthy recipient for it than the next. That's why we have professionals to make these decisions.

I have nothing but praise for the NHS and I daresay I've been in closer contact with it than most members. When it comes to the running and application of resources and deciding who gets treatment I leave that to the professionals and if they oppose the bill in such great numbers and so stridently who on earth am I to tell them they're wrong? I could also take this opportunity to stick the boot in to the Tories and the Lib Dems but I won't. They're doing a far better job of showing exactly what they are than I could. And besides, it's early and I've not had my toast yet. I love toast I do.

SoDomi non sapiens Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 75 of 76 (97 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

This only affects England. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos