29 Apr 2012
By fenian
Playstation Staff

Smokers and Obese to be denied treatment?

43 Replies 322 Views Created 29-04-2012

In a shift of thinking, now a majority of doctors believe the NHS shouldnt waste rare resources on people who wont make an effort. So smokers, obese people, and drinkers for liver damage.

Do you think people who are getting treatment on the taxpayers dime should be forced to live a more healthy life?

If they cant live a more healthy life, refused treatment and forced to find some other way to get better rather than be a constant burdern on taxes?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/apr/28/doctors-treatment-denial-smokers-obese

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 44 (322 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: Smokers and Obese to be denied treatment?

They should give them therapy treatment, along side physical, to treat their addictions and their problems.

It IS a waste of money if you just go and give some 30st person a gastric band, to lose all the weight, and still have this emotional addiction to binge eating, it's just a ridiculous waste of money because they'd end up going and doing the same again.

If they refuse to get the right help for their addictions though, then yeah, don't waste money on them.
Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 44 (319 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Makes you wonder where that 4 quid in tax you pay on a pack of 20 ciggies goes if its not being spent on oxygen tents for people with lung cancer. Oh yeah thats right, its used to pay for more GATSO speed cameras on roads that dont need them.  

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 44 (299 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I am a fat smoker and can't wait to use the tax payers money. Better than some gov buying a second home and xmas pres for their kids or even a holiday all paid for by u tax payers. wake up?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 44 (293 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

beepze wrote:
I am a fat smoker and can't wait to use the tax payers money. Better than some gov buying a second home and xmas pres for their kids or even a holiday all paid for by u tax payers. wake up?

Thats the spirit fatty! I remember when embassy cigs used to put 'focus points' in packs which you could save up and redeem for things, I was saving up for an iron lung with mine, then the government put a stop to it so I had to cash in my points early. I ended up with some infra red Technics headphones which were'nt very good :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 44 (284 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

beepze wrote:

and isnt that like saying,

EG: Im an MP and can't wait to use the tax payers money. Better then an Obese Drinker/Smoker or just a Smoker/Drinker self inflicting only to recieve the same treatment over and over wasting money which genuinely sick people need for reasons that are not their fault or self inflicted?

Neither Gov or Obese/Smoker/Drinker are any better then the other...

Seems like a vicious circle to me... Noone will win...

Shame really as the money could be used for a genuine Hereditory disease that noone has a choice in the matter and need the treatment... or suffer great consequences...

Cystic Fibrosis (which I suffer and am currently undergoing a 2year treatment for a bug called Absesses (not spelt correctly) that might not go as the drugs only have a 30% chance of removing the bug, if it doesnt clear however I wont be able to recieve a lung transplant, BUT if it does clear after 1 year of absence then I get to have a lung transplant if i need one unless i get that bug again...

ill be in hospital for 3-6 weeks starting tomorrow for the treatment and dreading it, got another 1year and 9months of treatment to go...)

So (no offense to anyone) im in favour to those who self-inflict to not recieve any treatment untill they help themselfs, or is that too selfish to ask?

- Signature -

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." - Albert Einstein
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 44 (279 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

good luck with the treatment. I was in high school with a girl who had CF and the effects are horrible. Conditions like that which are genetic/hereditary have my upmost sympathy but when the NHS start prioritising treatment thats a slippery slope. 'Oh we wont be treating 73 yr old bill for lung cancer and that heart attack because he smoked for 40 years and had a full english breakfast before going to work, and had a few pints down his local on wednesday night, never mind the 40 years he paid tax, not to mention the duty on his tobacco and alcohol, its all self inflicted so its just tough' When the NHS employs these tactics as a means of cost saving, free health care in the uk is truly dead and we may as well all join bupa.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 44 (266 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

If they made cigarettes illegal then fair enough but lets face it, that is never going to happen. Plenty of people get injured doing things they don't need to or shouldn't do and they get treatment for free why should smokers or fat people be discriminated against. It's not like they are breaking the law
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 44 (241 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

bible-man wrote:
If they made cigarettes illegal then fair enough but lets face it, that is never going to happen. Plenty of people get injured doing things they don't need to or shouldn't do and they get treatment for free why should smokers or fat people be discriminated against. It's not like they are breaking the law

Good point... Maybe the NHS should also refuse treatment for people with inappropriate body parts stuck in vacuum cleaners, objects stuck in exit only orifices, drunken brawling, car crash victims if it was determined they were drunk and/or speeding, etc...

Where do you draw the line?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 44 (223 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I think all doctors who drink and smoke should be struck off.

see how they like it :smileyvery-happy:

I'm just a sweet transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 44 (211 Views)
0 Kudos