Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 42 (250 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: Something I forgot to mention

Pin-Pin-Ire wrote:
I thought Afrika was only available in Japan. Have the mods been breaking Sony's rules :smileytongue:

Pardon if I'm completely missing your joke here. But what rule would he be breaking?

The game is released on Disc in Japan and North America, and as far as I'm aware, there's no rule against importing a game and playing it. The PlayStation 3 is region free, after all. 

Congrats on the platinum, Hawkey. 

Battlelog - The Battlefield Sunday Event: Sundays 8pm
and Battlefield 4 DLC Wednesdays, at 8pm
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 42 (248 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Cimbrer wrote:

Pin-Pin-Ire wrote:
I thought Afrika was only available in Japan. Have the mods been breaking Sony's rules :smileytongue:

Pardon if I'm completely missing your joke here. But what rule would he be breaking?

The game is released on Disc in Japan and North America, and as far as I'm aware, there's no rule against importing a game and playing it. The PlayStation 3 is region free, after all. 

You not remember sony took game importers to court and won and had them shut down? that was despite lots of sony having accounts with them.

But thats not what he was referring to, he was referring to it being against the terms to create an id outside your terrain, but hawk didnt say or imply he did that.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 42 (243 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Hey Hawk :-)
How many cat photos would I need to send to you, to be able to trade for your copy of afrika?

I remember reading about this in the build up to ps3 being released. The visuals were ment to show us all the benifits of true 1080HD.

I too thought it was only shipped in the far east. If I knew the states had it I would of imported. Plus trophy's...?!? Wow.

Heres my first offer on the table:-
30 hardcopy various cat photos + a video of my two playing fetch with a sparklie ball + 1 big apple..? Maybe my imported GoW collection vol1 if your going to play hard ball.

Vissy has my address ill despatch upon receipt of afrika...?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 42 (234 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

fenian wrote:

Cimbrer wrote:

Pin-Pin-Ire wrote:

1. You not remember sony took game importers to court and won and had them shut down? that was despite lots of sony having accounts with them.

2. But thats not what he was referring to, he was referring to it being against the terms to create an id outside your terrain, but hawk didnt say or imply he did that.

1. That story has gone past me. Were they individuals, or someone operating as a company, and competing with the official licensed distributors of the games? I can fully understand it, if they wanted to prevent a competitor from bringing in games from a different region. 

What my point was, is that unless I'm completely wrong, then there's nothing illegal about buying a copy of a game from North America. I'd have to pay the toll and tax, and need a store that would ship it here. (Or I would have to go there myself, to purchase it)

2. As this game is released on disc, you won't need an account/ID from a different region. Thus breaking the terms of use for the network. 

Battlelog - The Battlefield Sunday Event: Sundays 8pm
and Battlefield 4 DLC Wednesdays, at 8pm
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 42 (226 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Yep, whilst there is some legal wranglings with importing its still totally fine to buy a game yourself and take it back to your home country to play. I actually had a friend give it to me, he picked a copy up when he was in Malaysia if I recall correctly, was a nice present.

In London you'll often see a lot of people from some of the Arab states filling up their baskets with games at HMV. And after all if you were in Japan would you really pass up the opportunity to pick up some of the games released there? I'd probably come home with about fifty!

Oh and this was my fourth Platinum!

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 42 (216 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Wretched_Hawk wrote:

Oh and this was my fourth Platinum!

we didnt see the other Hannah Montana, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and CSI topics though. we're assuming they were your other platinums of course :smileytongue:

DriveClub!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 42 (208 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I'm not that bad... yet :smileyvery-happy:

I only bother doing it with games I really like so my others have been Lego Harry Potter, Lego Harry Potter 2 and LA Noire.

Had to work through the first Harry Potter twice so don't anyone say that was an easy one... I got to 99.9% complete and then the platinum glitch hit, in all it probably took 75 hours just for that one :smileyfrustrated:

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 42 (201 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

You can never Platinum the Lego games on one playthrough
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 42 (192 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Cimbrer wrote:

1. That story has gone past me. Were they individuals, or someone operating as a company, and competing with the official licensed distributors of the games? I can fully understand it, if they wanted to prevent a competitor from bringing in games from a different region. 

What my point was, is that unless I'm completely wrong, then there's nothing illegal about buying a copy of a game from North America. I'd have to pay the toll and tax, and need a store that would ship it here. (Or I would have to go there myself, to purchase it)

It was when the psp launched, So it was a long time ago but I remember it well because like you and like many people who worked for playstation and used this forum etc didnt think there was anything wrong with importing a game/console.

Sony took them to court, they said it was copyright infringement and won in the UK high courts. Sony started allowing the importation of games again once the hardware had launched.

Hawky certainly hasnt done anything wrong, If sony didnt want the game to be sold as import they would stop it from happening.

But from a legal and technical point of view, its a grey area and sony can go after you if they want, or the sites that sold it to you, and your european rights to purchacse a product are only in the EU open market, once you go outside that there are legal obligations you must meet to import any goods, and paying tax is just one of those.

Of course sony has gotten quicker at global launches of hardware and software so its no longer any sort of issue they would be interested in pursing any longer.

I agree with your second point, and agree hawky has done nothing wrong at all. I only mentioned it to put some history into a "joke" you might be missing. Sony never went after individuals, just the companies.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 42 (191 Views)
0 Kudos