15 Dec 2010
Playstation Staff

Thinking of buying a Android tablet but need some advice.

11 Replies 361 Views Created 15-12-2010

Hello.

Ever since the Apple ipad came out I have wanted one but could never justify the price of them (I could get a decent gaming PC for that price).

Anyhow in BestBuy today and saw a Google Android (think it was called that). Anyhow after testing it out I really liked it. The touch screen seemed very responsive and had just what am looking for (skype and a built in camera). But there was like 6 different Androids and all looked nice. But all where different prices the cheapest was £90.

Now I am really want to get one but I don't know much about them. Am going to set of and read up about them now but I would really be great full if some people could give me some advice about them and give me some recommendation.

A few questions I could like to ask as well.

1, Do all androids have downloadable apps? Like the ipad app store. Dose androids have anything like this.

2, I would be using skype on it most of the time. How dose it work on androids? Would I need a headset or do they have built in microphones?

3, The one I had a quick go today had a camera. But I never got to test it out. Can you use it as a digital camera? Or just as a webcam?

4, After looking around on the internet  I have found a few with different OS versions. Are these up-datable? Like if I get one with a old OS version could I simply update like you do with Windows?

I don't want to spend to much on one as it will only be using it with skype and if I can take pictures with them then as a digital camera and for web browsing.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (361 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Thinking of buying a Android tablet but need some advice.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (344 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Elite-Hawk wrote:
1. Yes it does, its called the Android Market.

Thank you for that. Now I don't suppose you can recommend any? Am reading up and androids now. I have found a few that looks nice buy they get mixed reviews like I found this one on ASDA.

http://direct.asda.com/Elonex-eTouch-7ins-Portable-Media-Tablet-%E2%80%93-Web%2C-movies%2C-music-%E2...

But I like the look of this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ71_AzsoGM&feature=fvw

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (292 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (276 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

My advice would be wait until April-May next year.

There'll be a nice selection of tablets out by then with Honeycomb.

Android 2.1 (Eclair) & 2.2 (Froyo) are on the current tablets with 2.3 (Gingerbread) possibly being on a few near-future releases; these versions of android are made for smartphones and are only adapated to tablets.

Android Honeycomb will be built for tablets, just with the same core principles of Android.

There's always going to be new stuff around the corner and tech is only gonna come out faster and faster, but we're about to cross over from "lots of features and working adequately" to "lots of features working faster and more fluidly". We've been experiencing a gradual climb over the last 12-14 months, whereas the mobile industry is gonna make a small jump instead over the next 3-6 months.

Even if you're looking for a lower end tablet, those lower end tabs will be decent bit better in so many months with the slightest things like a later version of android and a CPU upgrade making the world of difference to the fluidity and ease of use..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (269 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Don't bother with any of the Android tablets on the market at the minute bar the Galaxy Tab, they are mostly pretty terrible and are no where near the standard of the iPad. Android is not designed at all for tablet use and even the best iteration, 2.2 on the Galaxy Tab, is riddled with problems.

That one you linked from Asda was described by PC Pro as "the worst product [they'd] ever tested". Woefully under powered, screen is crap and the battery isn't worth a damn on it. It's absolutely awful in every regard bar price.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (268 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

:smileysad: I see am guessing this one ant any good then?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160514801790

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (264 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I'll be honest and say no, it's terrible. You'd be far better off saving your money for something good rather than squander it on a device you'll hate.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (260 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

I actually think you should save your money on this one.

Usually I am the one refusing to listen to that and I will end up buying it, but I too have been looking at tablets ever since the iPad came out and what has struck me about it all is that the operating systems are just mere adaptations of their sibling products in the mobile market. Sure, they have some kind of advantages, but I don't think it is enough to justify the price just yet.

I predict by next year that you'll see some serious developments in the tablet market. Better hardware (obviously) and maybe some more uniqueness about a tablet that doesn't make me say, "Oh, I swear I saw a phone that could do exactly the same thing". As Mitch said basically.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (247 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the info. I think I will takes all your advice and wait until next year.

Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (214 Views)
0 Kudos