Lounge

General Discussion

General Discussion

Level 3

Re: Thinking of getting a Bulldog, anyone else have one?

Dont get a dog to be your best friend, get a dog to be your loyal companion, Its a very big difference. If you treat a bulldog like a friend youll end up with a problem dog.

I think bulldogs are fairly intelligent, i think their stubborn nature makes them seem less intelligent than they are.

There are plenty of dogs that are child/family friendly, the list of them is huge. Even staffies and rottweilers are family friendly. German shepards thrive in families, they adore being in a family and will also adore one on one time with their master. Boxers are also very placid and family friendly. Irish wolfhounds are amazing with small children, its amazing to see how careful they are around children.

If you want a dog that will be a loyal companion, and almost like a best friend, you pick one that fits you, you dont pick one based on what it looks like, or its size, or anything else.

you have to look at what you have to offer, are you patient enough to deal with the most stubborn of dogs, would you get enjoyment from it? would it make you angry? what about your family would they encourage bad behaviour when youre not around? would they be able to keep it submissive.

I wouldnt trust my family with a bulldog.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 27 (100 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

fenian wrote:

Dont get a dog to be your best friend, get a dog to be your loyal companion, Its a very big difference. If you treat a bulldog like a friend youll end up with a problem dog.

I think bulldogs are fairly intelligent, i think their stubborn nature makes them seem less intelligent than they are.

There are plenty of dogs that are child/family friendly, the list of them is huge. Even staffies and rottweilers are family friendly. German shepards thrive in families, they adore being in a family and will also adore one on one time with their master. Boxers are also very placid and family friendly. Irish wolfhounds are amazing with small children, its amazing to see how careful they are around children.

If you want a dog that will be a loyal companion, and almost like a best friend, you pick one that fits you, you dont pick one based on what it looks like, or its size, or anything else.

you have to look at what you have to offer, are you patient enough to deal with the most stubborn of dogs, would you get enjoyment from it? would it make you angry? what about your family would they encourage bad behaviour when youre not around? would they be able to keep it submissive.

I wouldnt trust my family with a bulldog.

This is everything I wanted to say, but couldn't find the words :Thumbs:

I loathe people who get bulldogs and rottweilers etc just because of their look and their rough stereotype. I hate it when people buy dogs to have dog fights with other dogs as well, that is just sick! Same goes for all the other animal abuse in the world, but let's not sidetrack onto that, or I'll wind myself up thinking about it ><

Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 27 (97 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I've a lab cross and she's always been extremely friendly getting grumpy now with old age.  

Fen gave you good advice on bulldogs nothing I can add really

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 27 (83 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

One of my friends used to have a Bulldog. He was a really lazy dog, even when he was a puppy. Sometimes she would have to physically drag him around when she took him for a walk, and he would often sit down and refuse to get back up again. I found it funny but she said he was a right pain in the backside. She took him to classes and everything but he was an incredibly stubborn dog so the classes did nothing for him. I suppose the laziness might actually have been the dog just being stubborn, to be honest it was hard to tell. Not great advice I know, but it's the only Bulldog I've ever been around and I don't think I'd get one myself.
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 27 (75 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Ellie87 wrote:
One of my friends used to have a Bulldog. He was a really lazy dog, even when he was a puppy. Sometimes she would have to physically drag him around when she took him for a walk, and he would often sit down and refuse to get back up again. I found it funny but she said he was a right pain in the backside. She took him to classes and everything but he was an incredibly stubborn dog so the classes did nothing for him. I suppose the laziness might actually have been the dog just being stubborn, to be honest it was hard to tell. Not great advice I know, but it's the only Bulldog I've ever been around and I don't think I'd get one myself.

Should have put it on a skateboard, jobs a good un

*All my spelling and grammar mistakes are on purpose.
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 27 (70 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Put him in a pram.

dog-pram_1788139i.jpg

Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 27 (66 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

xElfenLied_US wrote:

Put him in a pram.

dog-pram_1788139i.jpg

:smileyvery-happy: I have to admit, I wish someone would push me around like that sometimes! Like when I have to walk up this massive hill to work in the morning, would be great!

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 27 (56 Views)
0 Kudos