Lounge

General Discussion

General Discussion

23 Jul 2012
By: ProjectVRD Member 13259 Posts
Level 5

Wales set to lead the way in UK Internet speeds

22 Replies 238 Views Created 23-07-2012

Apparently Wales is set to provide superfast internet to 96% of all homes and business by 2015, I am glad I am located by one of the cities as this means I should be upgraded before 2015. Scotland and Northern Ireland currently lead the way with the most connections per home to optical/wire already in place while Wales lags behind all the UK nations as things stand right now.

This will leave England being the nations which is left behind on a connection/home basis, kinda gutting for most people in the UK then. So who hear is already connected to BT Inifinity and where do you live?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 23 (238 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Re: Wales set to lead the way in UK Internet speeds

Im from Wales too but not with BT. Sky are my ISP as they are cheaper and provide a better service, and have won numerous awards for their service too. As soon as the shoe laces they use for telephone/internet connection wires are replaced in my area I may consider switching over.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 23 (225 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

With Virgin Media and soon Getting 60MB and 6MB Up free upgrade.
Case: Corsair Carbide 500r/MB: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3/CPU: i5 2500k/GPU: XFX HD7950 DD/Cooling: Corsair H80/Ram: Kingston HyperX 8GB/PSU: Corsair HX850w / 2TB Seagate Sata3 HDD+250GB Samsung Evo/Audio: Asus Xonar DS/Corsair Vengeance 1500
Steam-shankly1985 - Psn-shankly1985
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 23 (222 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

[ Edited ]

With Virgin Media as well, expected to be upgraded for free to 100MB/s down and 10MB/s up by the end of the year, so I'm happy. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 23 (202 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

shanethegooner wrote:

With Virgin Media as well, expected to be upgraded for free to 100MB/s down and 10MB/s up by the end of the year, so I'm happy. 

Same here, from july onwards they say. I'll be able to get so much more internet done I will have a lot of free time:smileyvery-happy:

*All my spelling and grammar mistakes are on purpose.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 23 (194 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I get 4.5/1mbps and it'll stay that way for the foreseeable future. Until fibre is brought in nationwide.IN maybe 10 years.

Welcome to western australia. And i have it lucky. 

photo 2hgctuf.png

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 23 (179 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

shanethegooner wrote:

^ This :smileylol:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 23 (176 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

In Hull we get KCom (aka KC or Karoo).

We can't get BT, Sky, or anything like that - KC pretty much has a monopoly. But in the last couple of years, they have been putting forward really ambitious plans. A while back, they linked fibre-optic cables to every house in Hull, and got rid of all blackspots in the whole region. Now, you can sign up for fibre-optic broadband and all they need to do is fiddle with something they have already linked up to your house, I think giving speeds up to 350mbps. Though, apparently speeds up to 973mbps have been recorded in small villages around the area.

There are some smaller companies offering broadband in the area, but now I don't think i'd really want to change from KC, I never really have any problems with the internet, it's always fast and reliable at any time.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 23 (165 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

And korea is fastest in the world, but Im still way faster than the average korean connection, by 4 or 5 times.

As far as i know the average uk connection actually fell this year, and the UK is ranked down in the 20s worldwide?

Ireland is 7th in the world. I don't think it matters though, once you hit 50mb you dont notice the speed increase online anymore, as you're held up by website servers and bottle necks and latency, and pages seem to max out their loading speed at that connection. Only notice the difference when you download.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 23 (155 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I don't think it matters where you country comes in the rankings tbh.

I have super fast Internet so sod everyone else. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 23 (137 Views)
0 Kudos