General Discussion

General Discussion

23 May 2012
By: BRISTOLAD Beta Tester 1776 Posts
Level 2

utter pc noob needs advice

[ Edited ]
4 Replies 132 Views edited 23-05-2012

Hey guys /girls, im looking into getting my first ever pc ( i know ) and u could imagine how much knowledge i got on the matter. :d think being chucked in the see at 1 day old and told go swim.

Soooo it's a all help shop tbh, i would use it for internet ( used ps3 since 2007 ) possible gaming depends on if it's worth it ect ect, and just general stuff u always us one for. it would be in my room so no monater needed got a tv with pc avi out, not really got a budget untill i understand more LOL.

so if u could explain whats what, why u need a speed x amount to get a better ?. just so i got a general idea of what im looking at.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (132 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: utter pc noob needs advice

The possible gaming part would mean the difference between a low budget PC and a high budget PC.  Then again it depends on what kinda games you would like to play.

If it's just for MS Office and internet you can get a bog standard PC or build a bog standard one for coupla hundred quid more or less I reckon.

You looking to build or buy PC?

Perhaps look at something like the Steam service and find a game you like to play and the specs it requires and then you got a good starting off point as a benchmark to work on.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (123 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

gaming wise only stuff i can't get on ps3, so like point n click football manager ect, not ur high end games.

build or buy ? mmm i spose it would be cheaper and i get a set up i want if i build. but as long as it's easy. u got a link that i can look on steam for specs,

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (118 Views)
0 Kudos

http://store.steampowered.com/

And you may want this link to see how much each component costs to fulfil those specs you need to play the games you want, such as Footie Manager:

http://pcpartpicker.com/

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (108 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Even with my outdated rig I can still run FIFA Manager 12 relatively comfortably and when I say outdated mine was built in 2006 lol. Intel Pentium D 3.00Ghz CPU 2Gb DDR2 RAM NVIdia GeForce 6600 GT (256 Onboard) Onboard Sound So nothing major but it runs fine, unless I wanna do anything high tech like render video and gfx then it slows down but I expect this my point was even low end for point and click should be OK, or if that fails and you want to go old school there are literally hundreds of point and click managerial games for older OS's or even older computers like the Amiga which can easily be emulated with a low end computer. But again as LordRoss suggested look for a game you like on steam or amazon or similar and work from there. (I already know mine needs uber upgrades and they will come in the future when I have pennies after Resident Evil lol)
Nothing worse than climbing the ladder of success only to realise its against the wrong wall.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (58 Views)
0 Kudos